X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axe900,

Have you had any previous scrotal or groin surgery like a hernia repair? If so, then it is my understanding that inguinal lymph nodes are considered regional lymph nodes. If not, then inguinal lymph nodes are considered distant lymph nodes. Thus, if the node is thought to be cancerous it would possibly change your stage but not prognosis (chance of a cure, which is very high). Since the CT was done after surgery it is possible that the node is just a little big due to the surgery itself and that it is not due to the cancer. Thus, adjuvant therapy with BEPx1 (BEPx2 isn't really done per most experts) would be appropriate. However, I would want to make sure what my doctors were thinking about the node as you really do not want to receive too small or too big of a dose of chemotherapy if you do not need it.

You could ask your doctor if another option could be to wait and recheck a CT to see what the node does. If it increases then BEPx3 would be needed. If it returns to normal size then you would know for certain that BEPx1 (or even x2) would be enough. I would hate to go the route of under treatment and would rather just go on surveillance and then get full BEPx3 if needed down the road instead of adjuvant therapy if indeed a full course is needed. If your pathology does not have vascular invasion then you would be on the low risk side of relapse and if it is positive then the risk of relapse would be higher (around 50%).

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

Also, the standard for "enlarged" is higher for inguinal nodes. Before starting chemo, please get a second or third opinion. I think that if you hadn't had previous grin surgery (like a hernia repair), that node is extremely unlikely to be related to TC.
      11/16/16 Went to primary care complaining of testicular pain. Wrongly diagnosed with epididymitis. Told not to worry, it'll go away on its own.
      12/8/16 Diagnosed with TC in left testicle.
      12/9/16 Left I/O.
      1/5/17 Tumor Markers officially back to normal -- Stage 1A with 70% EC.
      1/26/17 Robotic RPLND using left MSKCC template as primary treatment.
      2/2/17 Pathology results: pN0. No current evidence of cancer. They say I still have a 10% relapse chance.

Comment

No,I didn't have operation before that.Also,this doctors are best in country,can't get better opinion.I can get second opinion but I don't believe they will follow it.
        They know what they doing,I have trust in them.
        Pre/o markers - HCG 1332, AFP 30, LDH 235
        pT1 (60% teratoma, 39% embyrional, 1% chorio)
        Post-op markers - HCG 1.2, AFP 2.3, LDH 379

Comment

Wishing you the best!!!
          17 year old Grant dx 12/21/16
          pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
          pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
          r/o 12/22/16
          Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
          PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
          2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
          BEP x 3
          Tumor markers at start of Cycle 1 1/27/17 HCG 899.68 AFP 50.6
          Tumor markers at start of Cycle 2 on 2/17/17 HCG 5.96 AFP 10.2
          Tumor markers start of Cycle 3 on 3/10/17 HCG .6 AFP 3.2
          POST Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm

Comment

Hey axe, at least before you agree to start chemo, send an email to Dr. Einhorn at IU or any of the other oncs there. Your doctor may be the best in the country, but those guys are the biggest TC experts in the world. And they respond to emails from patients all over the world. Be sure to send the CT report and pathology with your email.

Your doctors will listen to their opinion. If chemo isn't needed, and it sounds like 2xbep is wrong here, don't let them talk you into it. Get the right medical advice.
            11/16/16 Went to primary care complaining of testicular pain. Wrongly diagnosed with epididymitis. Told not to worry, it'll go away on its own.
            12/8/16 Diagnosed with TC in left testicle.
            12/9/16 Left I/O.
            1/5/17 Tumor Markers officially back to normal -- Stage 1A with 70% EC.
            1/26/17 Robotic RPLND using left MSKCC template as primary treatment.
            2/2/17 Pathology results: pN0. No current evidence of cancer. They say I still have a 10% relapse chance.

Comment

Working...
            X