Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • driven2tri24
    • May 2017

They have finally cleared me to start my 3rd cycle (after about 15 hours of delay) with some gentle pushing...and we are now starting everything to be about an effective 24 hour delay in completion. Dr E. said this won't be a problem...

Comment

• driven2tri24
      • May 2017

Update: Completed 4th BEP cycle yesterday.
      Prior to starting my 4th cycle on Memorial Day my markers were:
      BHCG=3.0
      AFP=1.4
      LDH=234
      My CT scan is scheduled for July 7th and I've initiated a request for a second opinion through the VA to Dr. Einhorn. Currently the VA has recommended a second opinion on the proposal of performing a Left I/O as precaution despite finding nothing in either Testicle via Ultrasound/MRI/CT/PET. The assumption is that because it was in my Left lymph nodes, it began there and probable source that we should remove soon after chemo completion.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        • Apr 2008

Glad to hear that chemotherapy is over for you. I would definitely reach out to Dr. Einhorn. Perhaps a repeat scrotal ultrasound would be worth doing to see if there has been any changes. Extragonadal germ cell cancer is certainly a possibility but it is a bit rare. Perhaps having a more experienced center look at the ultrasounds would help too. Although, I would think the Navy has seen their fair share of TC cases given the age of those serving. Definitely just have them give him a shout and see what he thinks the next steps need to be as far as the orchiectomy and best of luck on the CT results.

Mike
        Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
        06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
        Surveillance...
        Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
        6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• Trekga
          • Jan 2017

DRIVEN~ Congrats on finishing chemo & for your markers normalizing. Keep us updated, especially after our Ct Scan on July7th.
          Son Grant
          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by driven2tri24 View Post
            Currently the VA has recommended a second opinion on the proposal of performing a Left I/O as precaution despite finding nothing in either Testicle via Ultrasound/MRI/CT/PET. The assumption is that because it was in my Left lymph nodes, it began there and probable source that we should remove soon after chemo completion.
            That assumption may be flawed. I would want an expert opinion before taking off a testicle without positive proof it needed to come out.TC can originate in areas outside of the testicles.

Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• driven2tri24
              • May 2017

Update:
              Met Dr. E in Mid July shortly after CT scan on the 7th and have had his advice at my disposal for last few months. He recommended an RPLND but no I/O to the VA and they listened.
              Here is where I am currently...
              8/17/17 BHCG 1.0 & AFP 2.8
              8/21/17 RPLND performed removal of 10 lymph nodes and "scarred"plumbing to left testicle.
              8/28/17 BHCG up to 3.0 (AFP not taken)
              9/5/17 pathology report of lymph nodes and other material removed came back negative for teratoma or living cancer.

-Currently scheduled
              9/14CT scan of chest to observe 3mm nodule in lung and blood draw for BHCG/AFP re-test
              9/15 for staple removal from abdomen...

Overall I am recovering well from surgery and although concerned about slight rise in BHCG, am happy that all material taken during RPLND was dead...

Anyones toughts on BHCG?? How significant is a rise from < 1.0 post chemo to 3.0 post RPLND??

Comment

• biwi
                • Jun 2015

Good news on the RPLND result! What is the lab's range for normal bHCG? Each is slightly different based on their respective labs and handling procedure. I don't think a 3.0 is anything to be concerned about unless it continues to rise.
                6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• driven2tri24
                  • May 2017

Accessed my medical records today and found out the previously reported 3.0 value was a mistake by doctor reading it to me. The 3.0 was the normal range and the result of my test was actually <1.0 on 8/28.
                  They took my markers again on 9/15 following my CT scan on 14th because they found a NEW 6mm nodule in my other lung(although the 3mm Met remained same size as well as all other resolved Mets). The markers were again BHCG <1.0, AFP 2.1, LDH 190....so a bit confused what this 6mm nodule is....
                  Despite markers being good.....They also want to do another MRI of my Head and CT scan of abdomen/chest on Oct 14th & 15th. The MRI is due to stabbing pains I'm having between my left temple and eye and they are concerned it could be something related. The CT is to look for other possible Mets post chemo...

Comment

• Trekga
                    • Jan 2017

DRIVEN~ Wow! You have been through some stuff- glad no live cancer was found. Please update us after next MRI & CT Scan next month. Hope you are healing okay.
                    Son Grant
                    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• biwi
                      • Jun 2015

Good luck! Stress can induce some things, see if you can get yourself doing something to relieve stress. Books, exercising, walking, etc whatever works for you.
                      6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                      6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                      7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                      7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                      10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                      10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                      4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                      4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                      10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                      4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• driven2tri24
                        • May 2017

Spoke with Dr. E and feel a lot better. Considering the markers are still absent I'm definitely not too convinced it's new cancer but I definitely would like to know what it is because it's kind of the "wrench" in my equation of success at this point....

Comment

• Trekga
                          • Jan 2017

Glad Dr. E was reasuring. Anxiety really impacts those with TC, and caregivers! Don't forget to update us next month.
                          Son Grant
                          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

• driven2tri24
                            • May 2017

VA called to schedule appointment for Thoracic Surgeon to discuss removing the 3mm & the new 6mm nodules. They want to go in and remove them/identify them with patholgy..
                            They also want a CT of my abdomen still and MRI of head.

Comment

• driven2tri24
                              • May 2017

CT is set for 9/25 & Surgeon Consultation 9/26...MRI isn't until Oct 17.

Comment

• Trekga
                                • Jan 2017

Nxet week! Wishing you the best. Update when you are able.
                                Son Grant
                                dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

Working...
                                X