Newly Diagnosed and Scared (Washington, DC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe08
    • May 2017

Hi Everyone, just wanted to give an update.

My chest x-ray came back clear. My CT scan; however, showed a possible separate isolated issue. With regards to the testicular cancer portion, my urologist everything was fine. However, the CT scan showed a small 2cm mass hanging off my right kidney (same side where the testicular cancer was). He said he doesn't think the testicular cancer could have spread to the kidney, so this could be a separate issue. I have an appointment to see a Urologist/Oncologist who specializes in robotic surgery. Please pray for me - this has been a huge roller coaster of emotions. Thank you again for all the support and information.
    1/2/2017 - discovered lump on right testicle
    4/28/2017 - annual physical/GP checked lump
    5/5/2017 - ultrasound detected 3 masses- lower pole 0.6x0.8x0.4cm, midpole 0.5x0.5x0.6cm, upper pole 1.4x1.5x0.9cm
    5/9/2017 - met w/urologist to discuss ultrasound results/pre-op blood work - markers were normal
    5/11/2017 - I/O performed on right testicle
    5/15/2017 - pre-surgery blood work: afp=2, ldh=196, hcg= <5
    5/16/2017 - pathology confirmed seminoma / no LVI / Rete Testis Involvement / Stage 1A
    5/16/2017 - chest xray done; waiting for results
    5/23/2017 - CT abdomen/pelvis / found separate mass on right kidney 2cm.
    6/22/2017 - surveillance for the TC

Comment

• Casbes
      • Feb 2015

Hey Joe! I know this is so hard! You are in one of the best places in the world to access great medical care. I still think Hopkins would be great for you but would be a haul if you need chemo. A consultation with Dr. Pierorazio might still be a good idea though. If I had it to over again, I would have taken my son to an oncologist with greater experience with TC. Luckily, he is doing fine. Go see Phil!

Comment

• Davepet
        • Mar 2010

Hey Joe,
        So what happened with the mass on your kidney?

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• joe08
          • May 2017

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
          Hey Joe,

Dave

Hey Dave,

I met with my urologic oncologist last Friday to go over the CT scans. He discovered a dark spot on the kidney mass which could mean that there is a possibility that it is an angiomyolipoma (benign). He put in a request for another CT scan without contrast this time and will have to compare the two to make the distinction between malignant or benign. I'm hoping and praying for a favorable outcome. I should have the results early next week. With regards to the testicular cancer, I am on surveillance now.
          5/5/2017 - ultrasound detected 3 masses- lower pole 0.6x0.8x0.4cm, midpole 0.5x0.5x0.6cm, upper pole 1.4x1.5x0.9cm
          5/9/2017 - met w/urologist to discuss ultrasound results/pre-op blood work - markers were normal
          5/16/2017 - pathology confirmed seminoma / no LVI / Rete Testis Involvement / Stage 1A

Comment

• joe08
            • May 2017

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
            Hey Joe,

Dave

Just wanted to provide an update on the kidney mass. The latest CT scan without contrast showed there doesn't appear to be any fat on the mass. The doctor things it could be cancer. I am scheduled for a right partial nephrectomy in July to take out the the mass (2cm) and a small portion of my affected tissue. I am thankful that it isn't a radical kidney removal. I am praying for a smooth and "uneventful" surgery in July.

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

We will all be hoping the doc is wrong about it being cancer, please let us know when you find out motre.

Dave
              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Jacob
                • Sep 2013

hey Joe

Best of wishes to you. Please update us with some great news.

Comment

• Zicarias
                  • May 2017

Hoping for good news. I just wanted to comment that the exact same thing happened to me. They saw a small 1cm lesion on my right kidney (right TC) so I was concerned. However a subsequent ultrasound and second CT couldn't find it. My doctors weren't concerned about mine and said TC would not spread to the kidney like that with no other metastasis and that those types of lesions are commonly found on CT scans.
                  Last edited by Zicarias; 06-27-17, 10:45 PM.
                  26 Cleveland, OH
                  3/01/17 - Found lump on right testicle
                  4/21/17 - Went to ER. 4x3.7x2.5 cm tumor in right testicle
                  4/22/17- Pre/op LDH 194, AFP 41, HCG 46, CT scan clear, X-ray clear
                  4/27/17 - Right I/O. Non-seminoma with LVI. 70% EC, 20% Yolk Sac, 10% Teratoma
                  5/16/17 - Markers normalize, CT clear. Stage 1B
                  5/22/17 - Start 1xBEP

Comment

• Jacob
                    • Sep 2013

Hey Joe,

Best of luck to you.

As everyone mentioned survival rates are over 90% so stay positive, you will get through this.

Comment

• Trekga
                      • Jan 2017

JOE~ Wishing you the best with the Kidney surgery to remove the mass.
                      Son Grant
                      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• StevenDC
                        • Mar 2015

Hey Joe - thinking of you and hoping for good news.

I was diagnosed with Stage III about two years ago and got my orchiectomy and chemo at GW Hospital in DC. I ended up needing an RPLND (after 4 rounds of BEP chemo) and can defintely resonate with the rollercoaster of emotions you are facing. I would echo others in the group in seeing Pieriazio. He is top notch, an expert in the TC field, did my RPLND and overall an amazing guy. He put me to ease and took exceptional care of me. Dont hesitate to reach out if you want to talk more, we're all rooting for you!

Comment

• joe08
                          • May 2017

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on my recent renal surgery.

I am several days post operation from the da vinci robotic surgery to remove the mass found on my right kidney. Thank God things went smoothly during the operation and as for the recovery things seem to be healing well. After the surgery, I was moved to a post op recovery room for a couple hours. When I woke up from the anesthesia, it felt like a train had a hit me. I got nauseous when they transferred me to my regular room. Kept me on a clear liquid diet until the next morning. I was kept overnight for observation. On the day of discharge, I was happy to get my drain tube removed as the drainage output was lower than the threshold. It was painful having the drain tube removed - they had me cough and hold a pillow to my chest but it didn't help much with the pain. The next few days my abs were sore and painful. My wife asked me to describe the pain I was feeling. The best description I could think of was, "imaging doing 10,000 situps and then waking up the next morning sore - then getting punched in the abs". I continued my pain meds for 2 days then decided to touch it out starting Friday night. I also passed my first bowel movement post surgery on Saturday and it was a struggle but such an accomplishment...lol. My surgeon called me to check up and let me know pathology hasn't sent the report back yet; and, if the case is cancer, he is happy with the margins and the procedure.

Thank you again for all your thoughts, prayers and well wishes.

Comment

• Trekga
                            • Jan 2017

JOE08~ hope you continue healing well. Praying that the path comes back cancer free!!!! Great doctor to call you and check up on you!
                            Son Grant
                            dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                            Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• joe08
                              • May 2017

I got the pathology results from my doctor. Unfortunately, it was another cancer - renal cell carcinoma. The good news is that the margins he took out were tested and came back negative for any cancer. At this point in time, my doctor said I am finally over the bridge and just careful observation via surveillance protocols for the testicular and kidney cancers. I believe the kidney surveillance protocol calls for the same scans (i.e. abdomen/pelvis CT and chest xray).

Comment

• Trekga
                                • Jan 2017

JOE08~ So sorry the path came back with renal cell carcinoma, but glad the margins are negative! Hope you are healing okay, and that surveillance protocol keeps coming back clear!
                                Son Grant
                                dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

Working...
                                X