Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you are able to go on surveillance. Keeping your brother in my thoughts.
    17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
    pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
    pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
    r/o 12/22/16
    Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
    PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
    2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
    BEP x 3 1/27/17
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Is there anything unique about you and your brother's birth or upbringing? I'm just curious as TC is relatively rare.

The only remarkable things I can think of for myself:

I was born in 1985, and in 1986 there was Chernobyl explosion. I was living in northern Greece. There were radiation hotspots and animal products were quarantined according to my parents. There is another man about 15 yrs older than me that lived on my childhood street that got TC; unrelated familial or very distantly so. I was also in the military at age 18 and got exposed to ammunition and some vaccines. No undescended testicle or other similar issues. Overweight most of my life.
      Age 31 - Portland, OR
      01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
      13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
      27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
      06DEC16 - CT scan clear
      09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
      03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
      18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

Originally posted by mcintoda View Post
        Is there anything unique about you and your brother's birth or upbringing? I'm just curious as TC is relatively rare.

The only remarkable things I can think of for myself:

I was born in 1985, and in 1986 there was Chernobyl explosion. I was living in northern Greece. There were radiation hotspots and animal products were quarantined according to my parents. There is another man about 15 yrs older than me that lived on my childhood street that got TC; unrelated familial or very distantly so. I was also in the military at age 18 and got exposed to ammunition and some vaccines. No undescended testicle or other similar issues. Overweight most of my life.

We don't have any history of testicular cancer in my family. My father passed away from kidney cancer at 44 years old. I almost wonder if my dad had a gene mutation in which he passed down to both my brother and I. It sounds like you may be leaning toward environmental. My brother and I have been overweight as well. We did not have undescended testi according to my mom but my brothers pathology he had a listed "Cryptorchidism". I'm not sure how they were able to determine this from his specimin.

My doctor showed me the ultrasound of my left testicle and it didn't look right even if you removed the tumors. My testicle was shadowy and looked diseased. My DR had said even if I didn't have the tumors in there and he saw that he'd most likely would have removed it anyways. There was a clear difference in the imaging from the smoothness of my other one.

I guess if I were you I wouldn't rule out the underdeveloped teste. I think that is what happened to my brother and I. Did anybody else's ultrasound show that your testicle didn't look right outside of the cancer? This is kind of interesting. Maybe I'll start another thread and kind of see everybody's story.

And thank you Tregka.
        April 2017 - Scheduled physical with DR for testicular pain / ultrasound scheduled
        May 2017 - US shows 3 solid masses 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm/0.8 x 0.5 x 0.8 cm/ 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
        June 2017 - Left inguinal exploration and left radical orchiectomy. Pathology - Seminoma, classic type and intratubular germ no neoplasia - seminomatous. CT scan shows 2 long nodules (most likely granulomas) and Borderline prominent but non specific mesenteric nodes within the right lower quadrant.
        July 2017 - 2nd CT scan all clear! Lung nodules stable. Active surveillance 5 years.

Comment

Interesting. I do think there is a higher risk for siblings with TC. Keep us updated.
          17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
          pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
          pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
          r/o 12/22/16
          Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
          PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
          2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
          BEP x 3 1/27/17
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Working...
          X