• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmz
    • May 2017

Just Diagnosed With TC Ohio - 33yrs

Hi All,

Ever since I went in for my ultrasound I've been lingering here checking out a lot of your posts. You all have given a lot of inspiration through this nightmare I've been in so far. This has to have been the longest month I've ever had in my life.

I'm going to give a little back story of what has happened as well as some questions that I have and hoping some of you guys who've been experienced with this may be able to shed some light on. I will also follow up with my urologist with them as well.

So here's the back story of how I ended up here. My brother about two months ago went into a walk in clinic with right testicular pain that radiated all the way down through his lower back. They thought it was a hernia and sent him home. I think they told him to schedule something with his primary care physician.

Fast forward a couple of weeks after this incident. We were on a video call (we work together) and he was in excruciating pain. We all told him to go to the ER. When he landed in the ER the last thing on his mind was he had testicular cancer.

They did a CT scan and found a large mass in his abdomen and were trying to figure out what it was. They did a biopsy of the mass and concluded he had a Seminoma. Everything I've read thus far all says this is the most treatable type of cancer.

I guess if you were to have TC this would be a "good" prognosis. After speaking with my brother and what happened, I decided to go to my primary care physician. Here is where is gets weird. This year I was experiencing intermittent pains in my left testicle.

I just thought this was due to working out or something that I did. The pain wasn't much but it would be like a light throb here and there. After what happened to my brother I decided to schedule my own appointment and get checked out right. Why not.

My doctor gave my a physical and everything checked out. He ordered a bunch of blood work and everything came back normal. By the grace of God he went ahead and ordered an ultrasound for "piece of mind". Thank goodness he ordered this. A week later I had the ultrasound and saw the look on the lady's face who did it.

She looked concerned but wouldn't tell me what she saw. I know they're not allowed to tell us but I tried to pry some information but was unsuccessful. All she said it something looked swollen which could have been the cause for some pain.

Here are the results of that ultrasound.

LEFT:

The left testicle measures 4.7 cm in length, 2.4 cm AP, and 3.4 cm transverse. There are scattered microcalcifications throughout the left testicle. There are 3 solid masses in the left testicle., concerning for neoplasm. A solid mass inferiorly and laterally measures 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm. A 2nd solid mass inferiorly and laterally measures 0.8 x 0.5 x 0.8 cm. The 3rd mass in the mid left testicle medially measures 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm.

The left epididymal head measures 0.9 x 1.2 x 1.4 and is within normal limits in appearance. Vascularity is grossly normal on color doppler.

No left hydrocele or varicocele.

This is the report of the bad testicle in which was promptly sent to my urologist. My urologist get me in quickly in the beginning of April. He took a urine sample which came back ok and did an exam. The masses weren't palpable. He decided to write me an RX for Cipro to see if it was some sort of infection. Fast forward 2 weeks and I had a follow up ultrasound. The masses were still there but did not grow.

He decided to schedule a testicular exploration. He did tell me he'd most likely remove the testicle. Here is the report from the operation I had last week,

ANESTHESIA: General.

1ST Assistant:

PREOP DIAGNOSIS: Left testicular mass.

POSTOP DIAGNOSIS: Left testicular mass.

OPERATION: Left inguinal exploration and left radical orchiectomy.

SURGICAL INDICATIONS: Patient is a 33-year old health male whose brother was recently diagnosed with metastatic testicular cancer. He was experiencing some pain in the left testicle., which he felt could be psychological, but he went to his family practice doctor to get it checked out and was found to have a small mass in the inferior poll of the left scrotum and had a testicular ultrasound performed which revealed 3 hypoechoic lesions within the left testicle, suspicious for neoplasm. On physical exam, we cannot discern discrete nodule in the testicle, so we gave him 2 weeks of antibiotics, repeated the ultrasound, and again these 3 lesions within the testicle were unchanged in size or appearance from the previous ultrasound and after discussion of the options with him, he has opted for left radical orchiectomy. Risks, benefits, and alternative of therapies were reviewed with the patient. Consent obtained. Tumor markers normal.

OPERATIVE REPORT: The patient was brought to the operating room, put to sleep by Anesthesia. He was positioned supine on the operating room table, and the pelvis was shaved, prepped and draped in usual sterile fashion. External ring was palpated through the scrotum and a transverse incision was marked with a sterile marking pen just above the level of the external ring. With the patient asleep, we made a transverse incision just above the inguinal ring roughly 1.5 inches in length with a #15 scalpel blade. The subcuticular layers were divided with the Bovie. There was a small vessel within the subcutaneous tissue layer, which was divided with a 3-1 Vicryl, and then the external oblique aponeurosis and fascia was exposed and the external ring was easily indentified. Weitlaner retractor was placed to expose the external ring, and then we freed up the spermatic cord laterally and medially, and we lifted the spermatic cord up through the incision and placed a tourniquet for hemostasis and to control and hematogenous seeding. We then freed up the lateral medial cremasteric attachments to the cord, and we were able to deliver the testicle easily up through the incision. The testicle appear hypoplastic and soft and in the lower pole of the testicle was a firm nodule corresponding to the largest lesion seen on the ultrasound. For that reason, we opted to proceed with orchiectomy. We divided the gubernacular attachments to the testicle with a Bovie, made a careful check for hemostasis and then we lifted up on the spermatic cord and dissected it back to the external ring, taking down any cremasteric attachments. We place a right angle clamp to the external ring and we lifted up on the external oblique aponeurosis and made a small incision along the line of the fibers with a 15 blade and took care not to injure the nerve. We then exposed the cord, but not below the external oblique and then we divided the fatty later away from the cord which left just the spermatic cord contents itself. We doubly ligated this with Kelly clams and then we doubly ligated the fat alongside the cord and then we triply ligated the spermatic cord with 2-0 chromic ties and 1-0 chromic ligature. We then transected the cord on a sterile field to make sure there was no hematogenous seeding in the incision, and we sent the specimen for pathology inspection. We then took off each of hte Kelly clamps, made a careful visual inspection of the cord, saw no evidence of any bleeding. So, we turned the stump of the cord back underneath the external oblique and then we reapproximated external oblique with interrupted sutures of 3-0 Vicryl. We then made a careful check for hemostasis, saw no evidence of any active bleeding, so the Scarpa fascia was reapproximated with interrupted 3-0 chromic sutures and the skin was reapproximated with a 4-0 Vicryl subcuticular closure and we did place a 0.25% Marcaine in a subcuticular layer for local anasthetic, a total of 5mL was used. Sponge and needle counts were correct X2. Pathology is pending on specimens.

Sorry if this is too much. I just copied all of my results in here.

Here is my pathology report:

Specimen:

A. LEFT - TESTICLE AND SPERMATIC CORD

Gross Description:

Received in formalin labeled "left testis and spermatic cord" is a testis and spermatic cord. The testis measures 5.5 x 4.0 x 2.0 cm and the spermatic cord measures 10 cm in length x 1.2 cm in diameter. The specimen had a weight of 70 grams. The outer margins are inked with black ink. The spermatic cord margin is inked with blue ink. The spermatic cord and the next section are obtained. On sectioning along the length of the spermatic cord no lesions are noted. Multiple representative sections are submitted as follows: 1) spermatic cord margin and neck section; 2) mid-spermatic cordl 3) distal spermatic cord;4-8) representative sections of testis; 9.10) representative sections of fibroadipose tissue adjacent to the testis.

FINAL DIAGNOSIS

Left testis, left orchiectomy:

- Seminoma.

Specimen laterality: Left.
    Tumor focality: Multifocal.
    Tumor size: 0.6 cm.
    Macroscopic extent of tumor: confined to testis.
    Histological type: Seminoma, classic type and intratubular germ no neoplasia - seminomatous.
    Spermatic cord mardin: Uninvolved by tumor.
    Microscopic tumor extension: Not identified.
    Primary tumor (pT) : pT1.
    Regional lymph nodes (pN) : pNX.
    Distant metastasis (pM) : Not applicable.
    April 2017 - Scheduled physical with DR for testicular pain / ultrasound scheduled
    May 2017 - US shows 3 solid masses 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm/0.8 x 0.5 x 0.8 cm/ 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
    June 2017 - Left orchiectomy & diagnosed with Seminoma
    As of October 2017 - All clear!
  • jmz
    • May 2017

If you're still reading this thanks for sticking with me! My question is about the tumor size and it being "multi focal". The ultrasound showed 3 lesions but they're only showing one on the report. I'm not sure what primary tumor is. This appeared to be the smallest one which had grown a little from the ultrasound measurements. Would this mean the other tumors weren't malignant? Or would it mean this is the primary tumor which the others ones stemmed from?

I wasn't really sure about this. I'm going to ask my urologist these questions as well but wanted to see if anybody was able to interpret these results. I'm setting up my CT Scan and have my fingers crossed it comes back all clear. I am really hoping I caught this very early and the removal may be enough to try surveillance which would be a blessing. Thank you all for hearing my story. I'll keep this thread updated on my CT scan when I get those results in.
    April 2017 - Scheduled physical with DR for testicular pain / ultrasound scheduled
    May 2017 - US shows 3 solid masses 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm/0.8 x 0.5 x 0.8 cm/ 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm

Comment

• Trekga
      • Jan 2017

JMZ~ What a story! I am NOT an expert on reading path reports, but what u/s or CT scans show vs what they find when doign surgery can differ. Anyway, multi would probably mean tumors arising from a main tumor vs. unifocal. Looks like you did indeed uncover this very early. Please keep us updated, and your story shows us how inportant TC Awareness can be in terms of catching things early. How is your brother?
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• RJKD
        • Jul 2015

You have the least metastatic and localized tumor I've seen in a long time. Rarely do I see somebody catch it at less than 1.0 cm. I would recommend surveillance.
        Diagnosed at age 31. Treated in NYC. Now living in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

7/1/2015: felt tiny lump on side of R testicle
        7/30/2015: Ultrasound shows 2 intra-testicular masses.
        7/31/2015: tumor markers normal, CXR clear
        8/5/2015: R orchiectomy
        8/11/2015: Pathology: 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.0 cm, embryonal 80%, seminoma 20%, with LVI and rete testis invasion
        8/14/2015: CT abdomen/pelvis clear, Stage 1b
        8/24/2015: started 1 x BEP

Comment

• Mark Anderson
          • Mar 2017

That is one of the most detailed stories I have seen in a very long time and I'm very glad you found TC that early. Just a quick question, did you feel any of these masses on your testical before the ultrasound or did the ultrasound show them within the testical?

Comment

• jmz
            • May 2017

Originally posted by jmz View Post
            If you're still reading this thanks for sticking with me! My question is about the tumor size and it being "multi focal". The ultrasound showed 3 lesions but they're only showing one on the report. I'm not sure what primary tumor is. This appeared to be the smallest one which had grown a little from the ultrasound measurements. Would this mean the other tumors weren't malignant? Or would it mean this is the primary tumor which the others ones stemmed from?

I wasn't really sure about this. I'm going to ask my urologist these questions as well but wanted to see if anybody was able to interpret these results. I'm setting up my CT Scan and have my fingers crossed it comes back all clear. I am really hoping I caught this very early and the removal may be enough to try surveillance which would be a blessing. Thank you all for hearing my story. I'll keep this thread updated on my CT scan when I get those results in.

I'm really hoping it is super early! I went to the hospital yesterday and hobbled around campus getting my ultrasound and pathology hard copied. I feel good about having all of it so I can easily bring it to an oncologist without waiting. I've been waiting and waiting and I'm sure you all know how crappy that is. I called my urologist and left some questions with his receptionist. Hoping he'll call back soon so I can go over some things with him.

Comment

• jmz
              • May 2017

UPDATE: CT SCAN RESULTS

I had a CT scan done last week and have gotten those results. So far I think it is good! There were a couple of questionable things but I'll see what my doctor says. I had to sign a release form to get my results released to me. My doctor is on vacation this week. I'm going to outline the weird things that were found which I'm not really sure how to interpret.

STUDY: CT ABDOMEN/PELVIS WITH CONTRAST; CT THORAX WITH CONTRAST

INDICATION: Testicular Cancer. Recent diagnoses of testicular cancer, status post left orchectomy. Complains of muscle tightness in the abdomen on and off for several months.

TECHNIQUE: Helical data acquisition of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis was obtained following the intravenous administration of 100 cc of Isovue-300. Images were reformatted in axial, coronal, and sagittal planes.

I'll post things that have extra comments on things other than "normal".

MEDIASTINUM HILA, LOWER NECK AND AXILLA:

The visualized thyroid glan is within normal limits. No evidence of thoracic lymphadenopathy by ct criteria. Minimal soft tissue attenuation in the anterior mediastinal fat without mass effect, most likely representing residual thymus.

LUNGS AND AIRWAYS:

The trachea and central airways are patent. No endobronchial lesion.There are mild areas of atelectasis, most conspicuous in the lung bases. No consolodation is seen. There is no effusion or pneumothorax. Tiny 2 mm high-density nodule noted in the periphery of the right upper lobe, image 84 of 289, most likely a tiny calcified granuloma. The 2 mm tiny nodule also noted in the left lower lobe, image 216 of 289. This is of doubtful clinical significance and can be re-evaluated on follow-up studies.

CONCLUSION: IMPRESSION:

Postsurgical changes relating to left orchectomy. Borderline prominent but non specific mesenteric nodes within the right lower quadrant. Tiny 2mm nodules in the right upper lobe and left lower lobe which are of doubtful clinical significance and most likely represent granulomas but can be re-evaluated on follow up studies. No retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy.

Comment

• jmz
                • May 2017

I wanted to take the time to answer some questions. I apologize for not posting as I was having some technical issues getting my posts out on the forum. I wanted to thank Mike who runs this forum for helping my brother and I. You have went above and beyond guiding us to the most favorable outcome and I will be forever grateful for your help through this time.

RJKD

What is weird is the biggest mass on the ultrasound showed up at 1.2 CM. This lesion was never mentioned on pathology and I don't know why. This had me mildly concerned but each dr I've spoken to has kind of brushed it off. Dr. Simon Kim who was referred by Mike from this forum over at UH in Cleveland is awesome! I asked him these questions and he asked me to get the pathology slides to bring to him so he can see.

The DR who did my orchiectomy seemed bothered when I asked him and said it wasn't going to change my diagnoses. I'm kind of glad I'm getting a second opinion and it already proved helpful. Dr. Kim looked at my CT scan and said the radiologist missed something. I'm not sure if he called them nodes or something swollen I think lymphnodes, 2 of them, next to my kidney.

He went ahead and scheduled me up for another CT scan, tumor markers, and chest X-ray in 2 weeks.

Mark Anderson

The masses which were discovered on my ultrasound weren't palpable. I had two doctors squeezing my left testicle and neither could feel anything. This is kind of scary if you think about it. If I didn't get the ultrasound done I could have let this go for a long time like my brother.

My brother has a long road ahead of him but still has a favorable outcome. When they took his testicle out they called it "burnt out" and said it was a non viable testicle. He's been resting from getting cdif during his treatments and will continue next week.

Both of our pathology reports list classical seminoma. I'm leaning towards something genetic with us which led up to this diagnoses. Our dad had kidney cancer and passed away from it. I am starting to wonder if he did pass a gene down to us since the kidneys and testicles are closely intertwined at birth. I believe Dr Kim told me we could do some genetic testing.

So as of right now the two things I'm mildly concerned about are the two new things Dr Kim found which he said may be due to the surgery I had and the two calcified "granuloma" nodules they found in each of my lungs. I really hope that is all it is!

Comment

• Daniel_Eye
                  • Feb 2017

HI JMZ

I read your reports and I was actually guessing seminoma before I even got to the path report. Congratulations on catching it so early, those were super small tumors compared to some other people I've read about. I had the same issue as you, left sided testicle pain plus, I had some pressure in my lower abdomen and difficulty urinating. I also got cipro and flomax to help with the urine flow but similarly there was really no change in the testicle. I didn't get mine as early as you did and I just finished chemo about 3 weeks ago.

I wanted to make a couple of comments; First in regards to your Urologist, most of them see very little to no testicular cancer in their career because it is so rare. You'll want to save most of your questions for the Oncologist and if you are able, find one the specializes in genitourinary oncology. I was lucky enough to find an oncologist like that and she took care of me and answered all my questions. I noticed you mentioned something about having your records which I think is very important for when you visit other doctors. I know I got a copy of my treatment after every infusion. If you can, stick with the hospital where you had your prior testing and procedures done, that way everything will be under one roof and communication between doctors will be much easier. I've heard health care providers say most mistakes happen because of lake of communication so having your providers be able to speak to one another is super important. Second is regarding genetic testing, ask to have a BRAC 1 and BRAC 2 test done as well, it is a specific type of gene passed maternally from mothers to male offspring (I think). I've read that if there is a history of breast cancer in families, specifically on the maternal side, then a certain gene (BRAC 1 - 2) can cause certain cancers in their male offspring. I am waiting to have this test done as well. I am very interested to hear what they have to say.

I hope your next CT scan is clear and wish you the best,

Daniel

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2008

Hi JMZ,

Thank you for your kind words and it is my pleasure to help you and your brother in any way. I am glad to hear that Dr. Kim is taking great care of you as well.

As far as genetic testing, I have mentioned this to JMZ and his brother so the following is not meant for them, but rather for other readers:

There is an ongoing Familial Testicular Cancer Study being conducted by the National Cancer Institute. https://familial-testicular-cancer.c...igibility.html It basically requires submission of blood samples and filling out some medical history and can really help advance what we know as far as genetics and testis cancer.

For a family to be considered eligible for this study it must have one of the following:

Two or more family members with testicular cancer.
                    -OR-
                    One family member with bilateral testicular cancer (that is, cancer involving both testicles).
                    -OR-
                    One family member who has had testicular cancer and who also has an identical twin brother.

If one of these describes you then perhaps you may be willing to help out with the Familial TC Project.

Mike
                    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                    06.26.06 Left I/O
                    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                    Surveillance...
                    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• jmz
                      • May 2017

Originally posted by Daniel_Eye View Post
                      HI JMZ

I read your reports and I was actually guessing seminoma before I even got to the path report. Congratulations on catching it so early, those were super small tumors compared to some other people I've read about. I had the same issue as you, left sided testicle pain plus, I had some pressure in my lower abdomen and difficulty urinating. I also got cipro and flomax to help with the urine flow but similarly there was really no change in the testicle. I didn't get mine as early as you did and I just finished chemo about 3 weeks ago.

I wanted to make a couple of comments; First in regards to your Urologist, most of them see very little to no testicular cancer in their career because it is so rare. You'll want to save most of your questions for the Oncologist and if you are able, find one the specializes in genitourinary oncology. I was lucky enough to find an oncologist like that and she took care of me and answered all my questions. I noticed you mentioned something about having your records which I think is very important for when you visit other doctors. I know I got a copy of my treatment after every infusion. If you can, stick with the hospital where you had your prior testing and procedures done, that way everything will be under one roof and communication between doctors will be much easier. I've heard health care providers say most mistakes happen because of lake of communication so having your providers be able to speak to one another is super important. Second is regarding genetic testing, ask to have a BRAC 1 and BRAC 2 test done as well, it is a specific type of gene passed maternally from mothers to male offspring (I think). I've read that if there is a history of breast cancer in families, specifically on the maternal side, then a certain gene (BRAC 1 - 2) can cause certain cancers in their male offspring. I am waiting to have this test done as well. I am very interested to hear what they have to say.

I hope your next CT scan is clear and wish you the best,

Daniel
                      Thanks! How did your chemo treatment go? Thanks for the tips. I was lucky enough to find a great oncologist/urologist who specializes in testicular cancer. He was actually recommended by Mike on this forum and I am super glad I went to him for a second opinion.

Thanks for the tips on genetic testing. Mike posted a link to a study in which I contacted them about. My brother and I are going to donate our blood in hopes to advance the research to identify specific genes which may cause testicular cancer.

@Mike

Thanks again for all of your help! I'll keep everybody updated on my next CT Scan which I have scheduled for July 6th. Then I'm off to my doctor on July 12th to see what my next steps are. I'm really hoping the CT scan comes back all clear. Fingers are crossed.

Comment

• jmz
                        • May 2017

I had blood work, CT scan and chest x-ray on July 5th. I just got the report back from the CT but am still waiting on other results which will be faxed to my doctor for a July 12th appointment. My CT came back and it is nearly the same on the comparison.

CT IMPRESSION:No lymphadenopathy in the abdomen or pelvis by ct size criteria. Stable 2mm left lower lobe nodule.

I guess so far this would be "good" news. I'll be waiting to see what my DR says and what my options are. I'm really hoping the lung nodules are really only granulomas.

Comment

• Zicarias
                          • May 2017

That sounds like great news to me! Have you decided what your treatment plan will be? With low stage seminoma I would imagine surveillance is a good candidate. How is your brother doing with his treatment?
                          26 Cleveland, OH
                          3/01/17 - Found lump on right testicle
                          4/21/17 - Went to ER. 4x3.7x2.5 cm tumor in right testicle
                          4/22/17- Pre/op LDH 194, AFP 41, HCG 46, CT scan clear, X-ray clear
                          4/27/17 - Right I/O. Non-seminoma with LVI. 70% EC, 20% Yolk Sac, 10% Teratoma
                          5/16/17 - Markers normalize, CT clear. Stage 1B
                          5/22/17 - Start 1xBEP

Comment

• highland850
                            • Sep 2016

Hope all goes well for you. Glad you were able to find a professional whom you could trust and could answer your questions.
                            I really wanted to comment on one of your responses-the one about BRCA testing. It appears from Mike's post that it isn't relevant to your situation, but since there is so much misinformation out there, someone else may get the wrong idea. It is a very stubborn myth that the BRCA gene is only passed on by the mother. Father's can pass it on as well. Even doctors fall prey to this myth.
                            OK-I just had to correct that.

Comment

• jmz
                              • May 2017

Thanks everybody! I went to my oncologist yesterday and staged me at IA which means surveillance. My bother has about 3 weeks left. One of those weeks is his last hell week but he's been a trooper. I hope after his treatment is finished he's all clear. I feel pretty darn lucky that I caught this early. Thanks for the genetic information. That is one thing I forgot to ask my doctor! I also wanted to thank everybody in this community. I'm so glad I posted here.

Comment

Working...
                              X