X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathology report - What should I do?

Pathology report says that I have seminoma, classic type. My tumor size is 2.4cm. Tumor was limited to the testis and epididymis without LVI. It does say "Germ cell neoplasia in sit," any idea what that means? According to my oncologist, he recommends surveillance for me. 15-20% of reoccurrence for the first year. He did say we have the option for chemo or radiation but said it is better if I do surveillance. He did note if I decide to do chemo or radiation that the chances of reoccurrence is 5%. I'm guessing surveillance is the best choice. What do you guys think I should do? Any information would be appreciated thank you.

Germ cell neoplasia in situ, also called Intratubular Germ Cell Neoplasia or ITGCN, is the precursor cell abnormality for germ cell tumours. It is like a cancer cell but without the ability to invade into places it should not be. It is common to find it in path reports after orchiectomy.

I also had seminoma, in my case 2cm, no LVI but it had got into the rete testis. I went for the carboplatin adjuvant chemo because at the time I thought I would find the surveillance too stressful to follow and I didn't really think it through logically due to my emotional state at the time. In hindsight, I wish I had gone for surveillance.

Given the odds, which were almost identical to yours, I very probably subjected my body to some nasty chemicals and drugs that I didn't need and had I been unlucky enough to relapse then BEP chemo would have dealt with it.

Certainly, Dr Einhorn and most other experts would recommend you go on surveillance in your situation unless there is a very very good reason not to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOne View Post
      Germ cell neoplasia in situ, also called Intratubular Germ Cell Neoplasia or ITGCN, is the precursor cell abnormality for germ cell tumours. It is like a cancer cell but without the ability to invade into places it should not be. It is common to find it in path reports after orchiectomy.

I also had seminoma, in my case 2cm, no LVI but it had got into the rete testis. I went for the carboplatin adjuvant chemo because at the time I thought I would find the surveillance too stressful to follow and I didn't really think it through logically due to my emotional state at the time. In hindsight, I wish I had gone for surveillance.

Given the odds, which were almost identical to yours, I very probably subjected my body to some nasty chemicals and drugs that I didn't need and had I been unlucky enough to relapse then BEP chemo would have dealt with it.

Certainly, Dr Einhorn and most other experts would recommend you go on surveillance in your situation unless there is a very very good reason not to do so.
      Thanks for your input. I am leaning more towards surveillance because of the consequences of chemo or radiation.

Comment

I would choose surveillance in your case. Most likely you are cured and if not BEP will surely kill it if you stick to your schedule.
        3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 11/16/17 All Clear! AFP continues to drop!

Comment

I had a seminoma on my left side in 2011 and I went the surveillance route. I don't remember what the urologist measured it as, but I measured my testicle on the outside to be roughly 6 cm long, so I'm guessing the tumor was large enough. I had many CT scans and have had no issues so far with seminoma. CT scans on the other hand - I had issues with the dye - if you get a rash after CTs, tell the CT department.

If I remember right, with seminoma, you can watch the blood work for beta hcg and afp (alpha feta protein). Men aren't supposed to have beta hcg if I remember right (pregnancy hormone), and mine was high.
          Last edited by RAR76; 08-28-17, 09:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by RAR76 View Post
            If I remember right, with seminoma, you can watch the blood work for beta hcg and afp (alpha feta protein). Men aren't supposed to have beta hcg if I remember right (pregnancy hormone), and mine was high.
            .Pretty sure it's possible to have *any* type of tc and have no markers at all. Markers are only useful if they are elevated, or dropping from being elevated. Negative markers absolutely never rule out tc.

juvn: In your situation, I would personally go for surveillance. Save the big guns for if you actually know you need them. JMHO.

Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I'm definitely leaning more towards surveillance.

Comment

I pretty much have the same diagnoses and I'm on surveillance as well. I'll take the 80% chance that surgery alone cured it. The anxiety for each CT scan sucks but it is manageable.
                April 2017 - Scheduled physical with DR for testicular pain / ultrasound scheduled
                May 2017 - US shows 3 solid masses 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm/0.8 x 0.5 x 0.8 cm/ 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
                June 2017 - Left orchiectomy & diagnosed with Seminoma
                As of October 2017 - All clear!

Comment

Working...
                X