X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. "Almost" diagonised as TC and what should I prepare for next

Hi folks. I'm Chinese lives in UK(sorry for my English) . I don't know when it started but my left testicle has been weird for a while but unfortunately I wasnt pay much attention until in end of July. When I felt left testicle suddenly painful and cause the epididymis growing big. I took the antibiotics for a week but then I felt there is a lump. Did a Ultrasound this Monday and found a 1x1x4 cm mass tumor. (The size is weird ?)
    My GP (generalist) did an urgent referral to urologist for further exam... But according to what I read its surely a TC right ? Should I advised him remove the testicle asap.?
    what should I prepare? Should I back up my sperm asap . And do I need 24 hours carer if I need do chemotherapy? I need prepare invite my parents over from China or find someone ...
    Thank you so much guys.

A hypoechoic (dense) mass in the ultrasound in the testicle has to come out to rule out cancer. The urologist has to examine you and then make a determination if removal (orchiectomy) is next step. A week to see the urologist is a normal timeframe, but don't delay on your part; you may consider calling the office of your urologist to let them know you can accept the next appt. My understanding is that It should be treated as if it's cancer until proven otherwise.

If urologist concurs that it's not something else (e.g. infection):

If you do get orchiectomy, depending on the pathology (review in a microscope), the blood tests and CT scan you will get a staging. Stage 1 means that the cancer is confined to the testicle. Stage 2/3 means the cancer spread further on. If you fall into stage 1 you may not have to do anything but be on a wait and watch schedule (surveillance). In some cases, chemotherapy or surgery would be an OPTION for stage 1. If it's beyond stage 1 then chemotherapy and/or surgery are likely be required.

I would do sperm banking as soon as possible.
    I would ask your GP for a testosterone/hormone test BEFORE orchiectomy to have when this is all over.

Chemotherapy doesn't start immediately IF you even need it. They allow at least a few weeks to pass for your healing of the surgery. I think you would need some help if you do chemotherapy or surgery, like a friend or family member. You would need someone to drive you to the hospital and help with food, medications etc.

Take a deep breath! Take one step at a time. Do get an appointment with a urologist as soon as possible. Do make plans for family help. Do bank sperm if you have an orchiectomy scheudled. Don't panic and don't make rapid decisions without thinking things through.

Good luck brother,
    Last edited by mcintoda; 09-07-17, 01:24 AM.
    Age 31 - Portland, OR
    01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
    13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
    27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
    06DEC16 - CT scan clear
    09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
    03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
    18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

Thank you so much for the detailed advices! Can I ask what is testosterone test for ? I hope this and sperm freezing doesn't take too long if orchiectomy is scheduled soon.

Comment

If you remove your testicle (orchiectomy), you then have only one testicle remaining. The testicles are involved in the production of a male hormone called testosterone. Most young men recover to a normal range of this hormone with one testicle, but something like 20% of men (depends on age) do not. This can lead to symptoms like fatigue, low sex drive, muscle loss etc. Having a baseline before orchiectomy can be used later to give you some guidance about what is normal for you.
        Age 31 - Portland, OR
        01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
        13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
        27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
        06DEC16 - CT scan clear
        09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
        03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
        18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

You have some good advice already.Keep us updated.
          17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
          pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
          pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
          r/o 12/22/16
          Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
          PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
          2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
          BEP x 3 1/27/17
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Working...
          X