just had pre-op consultation, was offered general/full orchiectomy. necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speeder
    • Aug 2017

just had pre-op consultation, was offered general/full orchiectomy. necessary?

had a pre-op consultation in hospital today. anesthesiologist told me they prefer to do general anesthesia. means i will be put in sleep for one hour.
    they do have option for regional, which is only numb the lower half body. my understanding is that this method is safer with less side effect. right?

what you guy had? any comment/suggestion?
  • vpirh
    • Sep 2017

I prefer general. But the downside is that you are constipated after general anesthesia.

Comment

• Joe.shupe22
      • Nov 2016

I'd rather be completely knocked out. I have had no troubles with general.
      11/16- Pain/lump in R testicle 11/16- US finds multiple masses 11/16- Right I/O path multifocal largest nodule 2.1cm 100% EC with LVI/rete testis invasion. 12/16- Ct/markers normal stage 1b 12/16- Ct/markers normal 1/17- rplnd pN1 2 nodes 1.8/1.4 cm EC Stage IIA 2/20 ct/markers clear! 3/1/17 started androgel for low T 4/27/17 Relapsed. Multiple lymph nodes in mesentary and few nodes in retriperitoneum. Start 3x bep. Ct after 2nd cycle revealed all masses already resolved! Continue last cycle! 6/26/17 Finished 3x bep!

Comment

• Trekga
        • Jan 2017

For this procedue I think full would be the way to go.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Davepet
          • Mar 2010

I've actually never heard of them doing partial for an I/O. Unless you are very sensitive to general, I would prefer to be out.
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• speeder
            • Aug 2017

sounds like fully sleep is a typical option. that's why they never mention it until i ask.

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by speeder View Post
              sounds like fully sleep is a typical option. that's why they never mention it until i ask.
              That is probably why. For most folks there are few to no side effects from general anesthesia and zero advantage to staying alert for the procedure.I can't even imagine wanting to be aware of the procedure as it happens

Da e

Comment

• Daniel_Eye
                • Feb 2017

I'm going to second Dave o that sentiment. Who wants to be conscious while a surgeon is removing one of your testicles? No thanks, give me an extra shot of tequila, please!

Comment

• speeder
                  • Aug 2017

my concern is that if the general anesthesia will damage brain. i saw some people online report lost short-term memory about the general one.

Comment

• speeder
                    • Aug 2017

just noticed that my title is wrong, i am talking about anesthesia, NOT orchiectomy. bad brain , can not afford it got worse

Comment

• Davepet
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by speeder View Post
                      my concern is that if the general anesthesia will damage brain. i saw some people online report lost short-term memory about the general one.
                      Take everything you read online with a grain of salt, especially if it shows up from a web search on a site you have no knowledge of. There is a lot of bad info out there. While I don't dispute that it's possible, it is certainly very unlikely. I have been out at least six times ( first time at age 10 for tonsillectomy & I would not hesitate to be put out again if it's ever needed. Additionally, most every guy on this site has ben out at least once, many more than that. I cannot recall anyone complaining about long term effects from anesthesia.

Dave

Comment

• speeder
                        • Aug 2017

Dave, thanks for sharing your experience. really appreciate!

Comment

Working...
                        X