X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and to TC. Husband 3 days out from orchiectomy

We're waiting on one more blood result and pathology. LDH is 300, HCG is 5.

Husband noticed his testicle was rock hard but thought it was just being strange. He sat on that for 2 weeks and then I found it and thought I was imagining things..then a week later demanded a doc after noticing it again. It didn't change much in size. The ultrasound only said it was inhomogeneous and may have extra blood flow.

I hope we've caught it early. The urologist came out after the surgery and said "Man, it was REALLY rock hard" but we had no other external masses or anything. I'm nervous that we waited as long as we did and also that it just went BAM...HARD.

At 3 days out I can no longer keep my husband down and he currently has stolen the car to run and do a couple errands because he's so stir crazy sitting at the house. I did insist upon the scooter at Walmart. He hasn't taken anything but ibuprofen and hasn't even had that today. I fear through this whole thing my job will be trying to keep him from pushing too hard. He's going back to work in 2 days.

This is such a nauseating and stress inducing thing to have to go through, but it looks like we have some good company along the way. Thanks for being willing to share your stories. It's helpful when all I have is my brain not shutting off and worst case scenarios running through it all day.

Sorry to welcome you. Glad your husband is recovering so quickly from his Orchietocomy. LEt us know what pathlogy shows. Hopefully AFP is normal.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Did he have any CT scans yet?

I had a pretty easy post-op period as well. Although keeping some ice on the incision helps. I went out to happy hour on post-op day 2 and was swimming in a lake (yes a bad idea with the wound) on post-op day 5 but it was a holiday weekend and I was trying to get back to normal. Keep us posted.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

Originally posted by TheWife View Post
        At 3 days out I can no longer keep my husband down and he currently has stolen the car to run and do a couple errands because he's so stir crazy sitting at the house. I did insist upon the scooter at Walmart. He hasn't taken anything but ibuprofen and hasn't even had that today. I fear through this whole thing my job will be trying to keep him from pushing too hard. He's going back to work in 2 days.
        It doesn't sound like there is much you can do to rein you husband in. Don't worry about it. Worst case is he hurts himself enough to rein himself in. He will only do it once.

You are *NOT* responsible for his stupidity. He is not a child.

Dave
        Last edited by Davepet; 09-24-17, 03:17 AM.
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

My recovery was like Mike's. I have a desk job and other than having to loosen my belt so it wouldn't push on my incision, I was back at work after 3-4 days. His recovery sounds OK to me.
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Assuming he's healed and not in pain, going back to work in 5 days sounds reasonable. I took one week off but did some work from home.
            Age 31 - Portland, OR
            01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
            13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
            27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
            06DEC16 - CT scan clear
            09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
            03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
            18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

Thanks everyone. He hasn't had CT's yet. They are waiting for his 2 week to then make a ct appointment. We just barely got his AFP. It was normal. I feel better having it even tho I know it doesn't mean anything other than what type he may have or how to watch it. Just feels like that part is complete for now.

He's been back at work for two days now and it's been great. He's able to sit with a frozen bottle of water (inside a sock..we get creative around here) almost all day. He hasn't even been taking ibuprofen now.

He's also enjoying only having the one testicle. Said it's much easier to adjust himself now. LOL!

Comment

The tumor markers typically checked are: hCG, AFP and LDH. The LDH is less specific. All 3 were in normal range?
                Age 31 - Portland, OR
                01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
                13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
                27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
                06DEC16 - CT scan clear
                09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
                03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
                18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

Originally posted by mcintoda View Post
                  The tumor markers typically checked are: hCG, AFP and LDH. The LDH is less specific. All 3 were in normal range?

LDH was a bit high at 300. The cut off at our hospital is like 246. His hCG was 5.

Comment

That level of LDH is not concerning, unless it is trending upwards in future tests.LDH measures inflammation anywhere in the body, so a slight elevation like that isn't significant.

Dave
                    Last edited by Davepet; 09-28-17, 05:23 AM.
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
                      That level of LDH is not concerning, unless it is trending upwards in future tests.LDH measures inflammation anywhere in the body, so a slight elevation like that isn't significant.

Dave

Ok so it seems they're all pretty lowish. Thanks Davepet!

Comment

Working...
                      X