Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFP rise - drop

Hi all,

I have a long history of cancer. I was 19 and diagnosed with Teratoma. Long story short I had a crap load of surgeries (20-30) and ended up losing one of my lungs. At that time we left two tumors in my chest as we thought it's not worth the risk to go after these tumors as they can end up just being dead forever.

So long story short I had a resurgence of my cancer and it was transformed into a carcinoma. I went through 4 cycles of tip where the AFP dropped from 1500ish to 4. Soon after I was starting work again and the day before we re-did my markers and they rose to 40, 3 weeks after they were 100. Following that we thought the only way to really solve this issue is with a very very dangerous surgery which can take my life. We figured out if surgery is a possibility or not and at the same time gave blood work. Weirdly the results came back 2 weeks ago with my AFP dropping to 47 and yesterday it dropped further to 44. Any idea what can cause this? Has this ever happened to anyone? the drop of AFP randomly?

So sorry to welcome you back. It's my understanding that AFP is produced by Yolk Sac tumor and Embryonal Carcinoma. Am I correct in assuming your original TC was in the Mediastinum? Much has been written about AFP half-life and predictability but tumors of the mediastinum seem to have their own schedules. Yesterday our surgeon told us that AFP sometimes NEVER falls within normal range until the tumor is out. What did your surgeon say about getting them out?

Comment

Originally posted by MamaAng View Post
      So sorry to welcome you back. It's my understanding that AFP is produced by Yolk Sac tumor and Embryonal Carcinoma. Am I correct in assuming your original TC was in the Mediastinum? Much has been written about AFP half-life and predictability but tumors of the mediastinum seem to have their own schedules. Yesterday our surgeon told us that AFP sometimes NEVER falls within normal range until the tumor is out. What did your surgeon say about getting them out?
      You are correct. I'm a rare case ever my teratoma transformed into yolk sac.surgeon doesn't want to risk it if the tumors are steady and not growing. I personally don't either.

Also my AFP was steady for 10 years and started to rise than I had tip and it dropped but started to rise again.

Comment

Wow! So sorry you have undergone so much!
        I have read about situations where it trnasformed, hence the desire to perform surgery to remove anything showing on CT Scan post chemo that is larger than 1cm.
        What does Dr. Einnhorn think, I assume you have contacted him.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.
        Grant is enjoying his senior year in High School Cancer Free!

Comment

We've been told that TC of the Mediastinum ALWAYS includes eventual resection after chemo, unless the tumor disappears. Has imaging shown anything? What's making the AFP?

Comment

Working...
          X