X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StaticX
    • Oct 2017

skipping a week b/c of a holiday?

So my oncologist seems to be pretty clueless about testicular cancer, every question he literally looks up on the computer in front of me. I've had to redirect him twice now that I'm Seminoma, not non seminoma. He just informed me that I may have an enlarged lymph node in my armpit that would bring me from stage 2b to stage 3... (we did this scan over a month ago and learning about the results now). Just a little frustrated here sorry.

Anyways thanksgiving falls on the start of my 3rd cycle 4th day of bepx3. None of the hospitals for infusions are open that day and he seems to be leaning twords skipping the whole week and continuing the following week. From what I've been reading there is very little excuse to put off any treatment, let alone a holiday? Not sure what I can do here, so any insight is appreciated, thanks!
  • dcalandrelli
    • Apr 2017

That’s odd they close for holidays. I had treatment fall on a holiday and the cancer center was closed, but they just moved us to a different area of the hospital. I’m surprised a hospital would close for any holiday without making arrangements with patients in need that day. About skipping a week I’ve seen some people do it because of health reasons (mostly too much immunodeficiency) but I don’t believe that’s preferable. This all seems odd to me.
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 6/08/23 All clears up to here! 6 years all clear! Son born September 2022, conceived naturally!

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      • Apr 2008

Skipping a week because of the holidays is unacceptable. They need to find a solution and if that is having you admitted and receive chemotherapy as an inpatient then so be it but cancer does not take a holiday and delaying a week out of staffing convenience should not be done.

As far as your staging. I'd love to hear more. I sent you a PM and hope you will reach out to discuss further.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• StaticX
        • Oct 2017

Thank you Mike, I got your pm I'll call you this weekend.

Comment

• Trekga
          • Jan 2017

concur with Mike- no skipping due to holidays for chemo.
          Son Grant
          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• dped88
            • Oct 2017

A lot of the patients ive transported from the hospital to the cancer center down the road would be treated as inpatient if something ever happened where they couldn't get to the center. Just as Mike said, cancer doesn't take a break. We've had the floor at the hospital postpone another discharge for someone else to make sure this patient got the necessary care when needed.

Your health is first and foremost and no respectable healthcare establishment should ever delay such critical care. Take care of yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X