Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosed: Stage 1A Non Seminoma

Hey everyone!

I'm a college senior who will be graduating this May. I've been lurking the forum since December 13th. That day's trip to the emergency room, and the subsequent events, made for one of the longest months in my life.

12/13/17: Went to campus physician regarding "swollen" left testicle, and was directed to local ER in Poughkeepsie NY. Told it about testicular mass that needs to be removed. "Oh well, looks like finals week is ending early for me."
    12/14/17: Went back down to northern NJ to see family doctor to get referral for urologist.
    12/18/17: I/O. Ouch.
    1/3/18: CT Scan. (CLEAR!)
    1/6/18: Blood drawn for tumor markers. AFP is 5.4 (was 23.9 before surgery). HCG is <1 (was 1151 before surgery).
    1/10/18: Visit urologist for full report.

Pathology report

Tumor size: 4 x 3.8 x 3.5cm
    Mixed Germ Cell Tumor:
    EC: 60%
    Yolk Sac: 20%
    Choriocarcinoma: 10%
    Teratoma: 10%
    LVI: Negative
    Tumor Extension: Limited to testis
    Margins: Spermatic cord margin: uninvolved by tumor
    Pathological Stage Classification (pTNM, AJCC 8th edition)
    Primary tumor, PT: Tumor 3 cm or larger in size, limited to testis and without lymphovascular invasion, pT1b

My urologist said treatment most likely will be surveillance. Next Thursday I'll meet with a oncologist on my area: Dr. Orsini. I'll be going for a visit at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC also for a second opinion/peace of mind. The NCCN guidelines show it's the preferred treatment so I'm fine...I'm just worried about what my relapse rate may be.

The question I had for all you guys is whether you would go with surveillance in my circumstances also.

Thank you everyone in this forum for offering support during this past crazy month.

Without LVI and being 1A odds are in your favor of no relapse. I donít know the exact percent, but others may. The one positive from what Iíve read here is that the survival rate with surveillance and adjuvant treatment is basically the same. If you stick to your surveillance any relapse would be caught in early stage 2 most likely which would have a high cure rate so by percentages you are good most likely with any option.
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 11/16/17 All Clear! AFP continues to drop! 3/19/18 All clear!

Comment

Working...
    X