Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diagnosed over holidays, left i/o scheduled for tomorrow and just received blood work

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosed over holidays, left i/o scheduled for tomorrow and just received blood work

51 y.o.
    12/28 - ultrasound confirms tumor in left testicle
    1/11 - initial consultation w/ urologist confirms tumor and i/o
    1/17 - blood work shows HCG 108 (elevated), AFP 4.7 (normal), LDH 336 (elevtaed)

Surgery is tomorrow (1/18), Dr. said these markers are most likely consistent w/ seminoma. CT Scans will be done post operation. Trying to do as much research as possible to ask the right questions tomorrow. Any advice from guys that have gone through this? Am not so worried about the i/o, am more nervous about the prospect of dealing w/ more extensive cancer.

And thank you to everyone that has posted and shared, this is a great resource. I will do my best to share my experiences as well.

The CT scan is going to be the first piece of information to help determine if you would need additional treatment after the orchiectomy. I prefer to have the CT prior to the I/O just so that the possibility any post-operative reactive lymph nodes are eliminated but not a big deal to have it after. If the CT (and chest X-ray) are negative then the key will be if the beta-hCG returns to normal after removal of the testicle. The markers (being negative for AFP) leave the possibility of a seminoma diagnosis as AFP has to be negative for seminoma, but I not would interpret them as ruling out a nonseminoma. Again the best case is that your imaging is negative and markers return to normal after surgery. However, until that information is know it is still a bit of an unknown.

The I/O should be pretty simple. Keep some ice on the incision and maybe look into a stool softener if you are on narcotic pain relievers but otherwise you should be up and around in no time.

Keep us posted.

MIke
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Keep your head up, hopefully this ends with I/O! You'll know soon enough. Just take it easy after the op and get plenty of rest!
      July 2016 - Left I/O
      December 2016 - BEPx3
      All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
      First Oncologist Visit Checklist
      Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

All went well today, am back home recuperating. Everything went well and just relaxing, starting movement again. Have got pain meds, stool softener and an awesome wife watching over me! Pathology results in about 7days, CT scan scheduled for Jan29.

Comment

Keep positive. Read and research. Statistics can help...I remember in my darkest days reading about high survival rates and the onco doctor was always re-assuring. 10 years have gone by for me like a blink...Wishing you the best!

Aug 07 - Stage 1 - Pure seminoma - Right orchidectomy + surveillance
          May 09 - Stage 2a - 1 cm node in para-aortic region
          June 09 - 20 X RT (25Gy to full lymphs, extra 10 Gy to node)
          Sept 09 - All Clear
          Mar 10 - All Clear
          Jul 10 - All Clear
          Nov 10 - All Clear
          Aug 11 - All Clear
          Feb 12 - All Clear
          Dec 12 - All Clear
          Dec 13 - All Clear

Comment

Great to hear, rest up and take it easy!!
            July 2016 - Left I/O
            December 2016 - BEPx3
            All clear for 1 year!

Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Hopefully, you have recovered and will have your pathology back soon. Keep us updated.
              Son Grant
              dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
              Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
              2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
              Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Did you get your path results yesterday?

Dave
                Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Sorry for not getting back sooner. CT scan was last Monday, the 29th. Received the preliminary results Tuesday the 30th: 1. Left para-aortic metastatic lymphadenopathy, the largest measuring 4.0 x 3.5 cm.
                  2. 3 mm indeterminate left lower lobe pulmonary nodule, which can be reevaluated on follow-up CT scan in 3-6 months.

I met yesterday, Feb 5th, with the Oncologist and she's recommending 4 rounds of EP starting next week. The one enlarged lymph node was borderline bulky, so they're recommending I get on w/ the EP chemo and treat it. Not recommending the Bleomycin because of the long term risk factors to my lungs -- I'm 51. They also drew more blood, will post those results once I receive them.

Overall, I guess I'm very optimistic. I'm glad to have the diagnosis and treatment plan laid out. Am just getting myself mentally prepared for next week. The forum has been very helpful in dealing w/ the orchiectomy.

Comment

It must vary from doc to doc, I was 55 & got 3xBEP. I was told the risk to the lungs is quite low.

Dave
                    Last edited by Davepet; 02-09-18, 12:01 AM.
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

At 2.3 mm the lung nodule is very very small so I would assume your physician has little concern and if it was something, that it will be eliminated by the EPx4.

I am not sure where you are located or being treated but some experts recommend giving medication to support your white blood cell counts routinely in patients 50 years of age and older. Normally, in younger patients this is done only if needed and not routinely. I think that is the only difference I have seen as far as age. The key is to just keep the chemotherapy on schedule and not do any dose reductions, etc. unless there are very good reasons to delay or decrease the dose (which may occur). I know Dr. Darren Feldman and others at Memorial Sloan Kettering did a somewhat recent review in patients over the age of 50 so your doctor may find this article useful http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store...8488af4762b781 and I am sure that your doctor can reach out to them for advice if needed.

There is no reason to believe that your outcomes will not be just as good as a patient younger than 50 and really you are so close to that arbitrary breakpoint anyway, but your doctors may want to be more prepared for supportive measures, including the routine use of the medications to keep your white blood cells up.

Mike
                      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                      06.26.06 Left I/O
                      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                      Surveillance...
                      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

3xBEP might be easier as it less time - my understanding is that any problems with Bleo are noticed pretty soon! But 4xEP should work just as well... Good luck with it, get plenty of rest when you're doing chemo!!
                        July 2016 - Left I/O
                        December 2016 - BEPx3
                        All clear for 1 year!

Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Hi,
                          I was wondering if you had the tumour type results back yet? My partner's pre surgery markers were essentially identical to yours and we're in the horrible waiting period where we don't have a CT scan for another week and the results aren't back

Comment

Working...
                          X