Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapidly rising HCG levels

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my rapidly rising pre-chemo HCG levels which are in my signature. Two questions for the community.

1. Can rapidly rising HCG alone (more than doubled in 9 days), indicate a tumor type/if anyone has experienced something similar and would like to share their pathology it would be appreciated

2. My, ~40 yo oncologist stated that he has never seen TC where the AFP was originally raised with normal HCG, only to have the reverse appear months later. Does anyone have insight about the frequency of this event?

Thank you for your time.
    2017: August 4, two tumors detected on right testicle, two microcalcifications on left testicle.
    August 5, normal HCG, LDH, AFP slightly above normal.
    August 10, right radical I/O.~Sept 20th, pathology, multifocal, both 1.5cm. 1 pure classic seminoma, 1 pure embryonal carcinoma. No vascular invasion for either, classed stage 1 and put on surveillance.
    Oct 30, CT clear, chest clear and bloodwork normal.
    2018: Jan 9, CT 1 cm single node enlargement, chest clear, bloodwork: AFP, HDL normal, HCG 57.
    Jan 18, AFP, HDL normal, HCG 138 Jan 22, began 3 cycle BEP
    Thankful beyond words for any help here and to my awe inspiring care team and the constant support from my family and friends.

Keep in mind when a doctor says they’ve never seen something in regards to TC, there are some that have almost never even seen TC. EC can give off both HCG and AFP, another thing as well is EC can transform to different cell types. 3xBEP will fix you up though!
    3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 11/16/17 All Clear! AFP continues to drop! 3/19/18 All clear!

Comment

1) Not necessarily, extremely high HCG can mean choriocarcinoma, mildly elevated can mean embroynal & mixed germ cell. It can also be raised in seminoma.
      2) I agree with comment above, that most Urologists have not seen that many cases of TC unless at a TC Center of excellence.
      Keep us updated, hang in there.
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

AFP can be raised by other factors and you say yours was only slightly above normal in the first blood test. Could it be that that one high reading was unrelated to the TC and you are in fact only looking at rising HCG?

I hope you tolerate the BEP well and get minimal side effects whilst it works its magic.

Comment

Here's what the testicular Cancer Resourse Center dictionary says about hcg:

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG), beta subunit - In adults, significant elevation of levels of beta HCG occurs only during pregnancy and in patients with trophoblastic neoplasms or nonseminomatous germ cell tumors. As a result, it is used as a tumor marker. Essentially, 100 per cent of patients with trophoblastic tumors and 40-60 per cent of patients with nonseminomatous germ cell tumors, including all patients with choriocarcinoma, 80% of patients with embryonal carcinoma, and 10-25% of patients with pure seminoma are diagnosed with elevated levels of beta HCG. The serum half life of beta hCG is 24 to 36 hours, which implies that elevated concentrations should return to normal within 5 to 7.5 days after surgery if all tumor is removed. Please note that the normal HCG level is usually less than 5 miu/ml. Also note that the HCG level can become elevated (falsely positive) due to abnormally low levels of testosterone or because of marijuana use.
          In any event knowing the tumor type is unimportant, you will be cured by 3xBEP.

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies, they are very encouraging and I really appreciate everyones time and effort.
            2017: August 4, two tumors detected on right testicle, two microcalcifications on left testicle.
            August 5, normal HCG, LDH, AFP slightly above normal.
            August 10, right radical I/O.~Sept 20th, pathology, multifocal, both 1.5cm. 1 pure classic seminoma, 1 pure embryonal carcinoma. No vascular invasion for either, classed stage 1 and put on surveillance.
            Oct 30, CT clear, chest clear and bloodwork normal.
            2018: Jan 9, CT 1 cm single node enlargement, chest clear, bloodwork: AFP, HDL normal, HCG 57.
            Jan 18, AFP, HDL normal, HCG 138 Jan 22, began 3 cycle BEP
            Thankful beyond words for any help here and to my awe inspiring care team and the constant support from my family and friends.

Comment

Working...
            X