Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info/insight on embryonal carcinoma?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info/insight on embryonal carcinoma?

Hello,

My husband was diagnosed on 2/718 via ultrasound. 2/12/18 Orchiectomy Path report revealed stage 1b nonseiminoma 99% embyonal carcinoma 1% seminoma.

Due to the 1b stage, the fact his brother had TC, and tumor type identified as aggressive, he has opted to go with the 1xBEP treatment (3/12/18 will start) rather than just wait and see. RPLND was not strongly recommended to him.

I have am trying to understand more about this histology. I have read that EC is very aggressive which sounds very bad and scary. But I have also read that EC is particularly sensitive to Chemo. So in my mind I am feeling like maybe if it is more sensitive to chemo than some other types than perhaps that cancels out the fact that is aggressive...does that seem logical? Since it was caught early would we worry less about it being aggressive since it was cut out soon? I am so confused.

Anyone have any personal experience, reliable research/ information, or insight on EC that might help me understand this better?

Thanks
    2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
    2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
    3/12/18-4/1/18 Adjuvant BEPx1

One more thing to confuse me- I read EC can become tumor negative. Does that mean the marker test may not be reliable indicators or stage, or going forward, won't be as reliable in detecting relapse? Can any TC be tumor negative or is it just this one? His markers were all within normal range which is good but now I wonder if it might not matter in his case?
    2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range

Comment

Embryonal is considered aggressive I believe because it has a tendancy to skip lymph nodes and go to lungs and things of that nature. Yours hasn’t done that and with negative markers I imagine that the word “aggressive” shouldn’t worry you. Dr. Einhorn himself has said that it is exquisitely sensitive to chemo. I wouldn’t really worry since you have caught it very early. There are a decent amount of us on here that are or close to 100% EC. All of us who caught the disease in stage 1 or 2 are still alive and well from what I’ve read on here. With 1 round of BEP your husband will make sure to knockout any disease that may be there.
      3/29/17 Diagnosed 100% Embryonal 4/10/17 Left I/O CT scan shows a few suspicious lymph (biggest 1.9 cm) 5/8/17 - 7/3/17 3xBEP 7/20/17 CT Scan Clear, AFP has uptick to 19 8/16/17 AFP Drops in half to 10, ALL CLEAR! 9/12/18 All clears up to here!

Comment

Thank you! I have only been on this forum for a short while and found everyone to be amazing! You guys are an inspiration to me. Your knowledge and willingness to help others is admirable and I cant thank you enough for the help in the worst worst time of my life

Comment

Actually, it's not really a "tendency" to skip to the lungs, it's just that it is "possible" for it to do so, which is one factor in why RPLND isn't often recommended. I've heard of very few cases on the forum where this has happened.

Also, you don't mention a CT scan, I assume he's had one & it's negative?

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I wouldn't get that overly concerned about the embryonal content in the pathology specimen. While they have looked at embryonal predominance as a risk factor for relapse, the definitions of predominance have varied greatly. There is actually, a critical review in press right now in European Urology by some testicular cancer expert/thought leaders from around the world that may be of interest to you and your doctor during the decision process. The full text is available at: http://www.europeanurology.com/artic...001-0/fulltext and it briefly discusses embryonal content as a risk factor for relapse.

Mike
            Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
            06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
            06.26.06 Left I/O
            06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
            06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
            Surveillance...
            Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
            6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Hi Mike, Thanks so much for the link. Seems the more I learn the more questions I have.

Hi Davepet, Thanks for your reply. Your input is greatly appreciated. Yes, he had a CT and chest xray, ordered by urologist,and all clear there. Onco wanted a CT of chest as well and we are just waiting on those results. But I imagine it would be clear since the xray was. Hope so. I am worried about future surveillance catching a relapse in time if he is one of the guys that just never produces them. His brother said the markers were the most helpful for him in detecting spread, while CT missed things. CT Missed lymph nodes the size of a lime. His relapse was only caught through marker rise prompting an RPLND to be done discovering the infected nodes.

Comment

Working...
              X