Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCG pure seminoma

Hi,
    My partner has been diagnosed with TC. He had his blood tested for markers pre surgery and the HCG was elevated at 102 IU/L. He had an orchiectomy 2 weeks ago and has been recovering fairly well except for some weight loss. The results came back today on the tumour and it is pure seminoma with some rete testis involvement (nothing else) and at its largest point is 2.0 cm. So we're now in the waiting period between surgery and the CT scan (next week). What I'm confused about is this: it seems some people with pure seminoma have no raised hcg levels even with much larger tumours. Does a number like his more often indicate metastatic cancer even with the tumour being fairly small? Or is this just a strange quirk where some tumours do release the hormone and some don't. If so, I'm kind of surprised I cant find a paper on the phenomenon. Second question, the medical system moves rather slow in Ontario, if it has metastasized do those additional tumours grow as slow as the original site? i.e. is the 3 or so weeks we're going to have to wait to see another dr likely going to effect his prognosis?
    We don't have an appointment with the urologist until after the CT scan so its unlikely to get his new HCG level until then.

Hoping someone from Canda can reply, As far as wondering about the HCG, it can be raised in pure Seminoma, it will need to be followed. His initial HCG level is not that high, what happens is that something call " Syncytiotrophoblastic cells: raise the HCG. I'm not a medical professional.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Me personally i would not be to concerned with elevated bhcg. It is just a by product of the tumor. The CT will be much more telling at this point than elevated markers.
      Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
      Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
      Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
      Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
      April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
      May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
      August 7th 2012- BEP complete
      April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
      May 2013 RPLND
      Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
      Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
      Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
      Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
      Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

It is not uncommon to have elevated beta-hCG with pure seminomas and as mentioned the level of 100 is not that elevated by any means. The important things is going to be what are the levels doing after the testicle has been removed. The CT is going to be of great importance as well. I know that further research into if the pre-orchiectomy levels are associated with metastatic disease is being done but as far as I know there have been no publications on the data.

Mike
        Last edited by Mike; 03-22-18, 01:11 PM.
        Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
        06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
        06.26.06 Left I/O
        06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
        06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
        Surveillance...
        Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
        6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Hello,
          I have a question,
          For the first 5 years of diagnose , Do you use radiograph for lung or use scaner for all the body ?

Comment

They should be doing a combination of both.
            Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
            Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
            Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
            Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
            April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
            May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
            August 7th 2012- BEP complete
            April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
            May 2013 RPLND
            Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
            Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
            Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
            Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
            Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
            Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
            Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
            Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Working...
            X