X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCG Level Elevated

Diagnosed with tc in May 2012. Left orchiectomy stage I pure seminoma. Chose two rounds of carboplatin over surveillance. Hcg and afp levels were normal before and after surgery. All clear for 6 years until last week. HCG came back at 230. Going in for ct and ultrasounds tomorrow. Not sure what to expect. Curious why hcg was not elevated before surgery in 2012 but it is now. Different type of cancer?

How long ago was your last tumor markers? I would also have them re-test the labs. Lab errors are not unheard of, it has happened to some folks here.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    10/22/19: all clears up to this date!

Comment

A lab error is always possible and I would ask for it to be rechecked. The beta-hCG can be elevated with marijuana use too but usually more in the 100 range from what I remember hearing. It could also be a sign of hypogonadism (low-testosterone). If the CT is negative then I would want to work with my doctor to investigate any lab issues before I rushed into treatments. If it re-checks high, then a dose of testosterone may be able to be given and then re-checked to see if it drops. Looking at a testosterone panel with LH and FSH may be indicated as well. If it is interference with circulating antibodies, then I believe they can check a urine beta-hCG to see if it is detectable there vs. only in the blood which may indicate lab interference if it is only coming back high in the blood. The other thing is to perhaps have an ultrasound of the remaining testicle to make sure that it isn't a new primary.

Keep us posted but I wanted to give you a few things that you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Thanks for the information. My last tumor markers were in April of 2017 (year ago) and levels were normal. I did labs again yesterday and will have ultrasound of right testicle today along with ct. I donít think my testosterone levels have ever been checked. I mentioned this a few months ago to my wife because I have felt tired lately and seem to have a lack of energy so maybe thereís something to that. Wait and see what comes back but the mind seems to manifest every possibility. Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

i want more information.. result was ok?? god bless you..

Comment

Working...
          X