X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found out yesterday.... surgery friday.... anxiety through the roof

Things had been going so well. I had a newborn daughter 7 weeks ago, and I got married last month... after 3 years of intense schooling I graduated in May from nursing school and I started my new dream job in the Intensive Care Unit of a local hospital a week and a half ago. Things couldn't be looking better... until I noticed the change in my right testis. We were actually on vacation at the time, and one night while in bed I noticed a hardness on righty. It was really a "lump", but one section of the ball was almost rock hard. It was a startling change! I immediately started to panic a little, and went onto Dr. Google and started researching. I found this site, during my search, and that has been helpful as well. After looking around, I decided my first step would be to contact a urologist. Wednesday morning last week (7/25/2018) I called the hospital to make a urology appointment, but I was told I needed a referral first. I called my PCP, who said they could get me in to the doc in about 2 weeks. That was not going to fly. So I zipped on down to the local urgent care center, and they said they noticed something as well, and gave me the referral, but mentioned it could take a few days to get anything scheduled. Thursday morning I get a call (that was quick!) to set up my appointment. I was told the urologist had about a 2-3 week wait for new patients... nothing I can do about that. Luckily enough however, that same afternoon I get another call from the scheduler who said that they had a cancellation, so could I come in the next day at 1030am? I was going to be in orientation at the hospital at the time, but I said yes anyway. I knew I could work in out with my trainer the next day, which I did. Friday 1030. Anxiety levels are going through the roof. BP elevated to 140/92, most likely nerves. The doc comes in and after I give a short explanation of my symptoms, he tells me to drop the pants. After a quick manual examination, maybe 30 seconds, he tells me that he does see what I'm concerned about. He sends me for bloodwork and an ultrasound the same day, but my follow-up would have to wait until the next Tuesday (yesterday, 7/31). And yesterday was my follow up. Even more anxiety, BP 156/102. Waiting for the doc to come in. Fingers crossed it's not too bad. He comes in, and starts off by saying that my bloodwork looked great, no tumor markers, but my testicle did not. 1.2cm x 1.3cm x 0.9cm mass, "highly suspicious of neoplasm". And just like that, it's cancer. I am now being scheduled to have my I/O on Friday. I could've had it today, but I opted to wait until Friday so they could order the prosthesis. Next week it'll be full body scans, and talk about follow-up treatment based on the pathology and staging. I'm nervous. I think it's good news that the tumor was rather small, and the bloodwork was fine... but it's still could have spread, right? I know TC is very curable, but it's still a shock to hear the big C word. Is it possible that it's gone elsewhere, even with normal AFP and HcG levels? I want to make sure I'm still around for my newborn daughter, and I would like to get back to my new job as soon as possible... Doc says that even localized, he'd probably recommend 2 weeks of radiation therapy afterwards. Looking online I see other treatment options include a few rounds of BEP or EP instead. Which is worse, the chemo or the radiation (if further treatment is needed of course)? I'm just trying to be prepared.

• ICU-RN
    replied
    Doc said 1 lymph is technically enlarged, so is a concern. 2 weeks of radiation therapy has been scheduled, he seems confident that'll knock it out. If not, chemo time. But still, could be a lot worse!

Leave a comment:

• ICU-RN
    replied
    So I got my results online via a "my chart" system my hospital has. Everything looks great! No metastatic disease in the chest. My only question is where they say this:

"No definite evidence of metastatic disease in the abdomen or pelvis.
    2. Unenlarged calcified left periaortic lymph node is 1.3 x 1.7 cm. This is of indeterminate significance"

How can a lymph node that is 1.3 x 1.7 be considered unenlarged? I thought the cutoff was 1cm.

But hey, I don't want to overlook the fact that everything looks great! I'm stoked! But I also don't want the doctors to miss anything that could cause me to get worse. What did you guys think about that one lymph node? Should I get a second opinion, or just let it go?

Leave a comment:

• ICU-RN
    replied
    Thanks Trekga, my fingers are crossed that things are clear too. Sorry you had to have the same issues!

TC Destroyer- I definitely appreciate the uplifting words! Yeah so far I feel like I've been incredibly lucky with everything. It's still a little nerve wracking while I wait for the scan results, but that's to be expected. If things keep going as well as they have been then I'll thank God and my lucky stars that it wasn't any worse.

And thanks to everyone else that has posted replies to me as well! It's been incredibly helpful in managing my anxiety and stress, and I really appreciate everything.

Leave a comment:

• TC Destroyer
    replied
    This is almost the best news you can get following a cancer diagnosis. Be proud you caught this crap early and know you have a lot of options and little fear ahead of you.

Leave a comment:

• Trekga
    replied
    Sorry about Cigna issues- we have had same insurance company since last March and they are the WORST. There are a few other TC patients w/Cigna and all have similar issues. Hopefully your scans are clear.

Leave a comment:

• ICU-RN
    replied
    Just got a copy of my pathology report; can't tell too much without the results of my scans. Evidently my doc told me the size wrong, it was a lot bigger than I thought, and there were 2 masses in the same teste. But here is what it says:

tumor focality: multifocal
    tumor size: 2.5 x 2.5 x 2cm and 2 x 2 x 1.5cm
    histologic type: seminoma
    tumor extension: limited to testes
    margin: spermatic cord uninvolved
    lymphovascular invasion: present

pathological stage:
    primary tumor: pT2
    unable to asses regional lymph nodes or metastasis

Pre-orchiectomy serum tumor markers: within normal limits

So it appears that I had two masses instead of 1, and larger than originally told. Since there is lymphovascular invasion (and the tumor was described as "hypervascular") that immediately puts me to at least stage 1B... Not sure how that would affect treatment really. Sometimes I wish I was an oncology nurse instead of an ICU nurse, haha.

Now to sit back and wait for results on Friday...

Leave a comment:

• johnm620
    replied
    ICU-RN,
    I'm another newbie to this whole experience. I'm just about 6 weeks ahead of you in your timeline. My mass was significantly larger, and my bHCG was elevated.
    Your blood pressure measurements were just about the same as your's both times when I visited my urologist. When I visited my PCP for my pre-op checkup, my blood pressure was perfect.Go figure, right?

"Not knowing" and the endless waiting for the test and test results, have been the most trying part of the process. You are fortunate to have found this forum as early as you did... it took me a couple of weeks to find it.

Interestingly, my urologist also mentioned 2 weeks of radiation would probably be the way to go. During my first meeting with my oncologist, he took radiation of the table pretty quickly. He said that Carbo X1 was as effective, and generally tolerated better. My chemo was completed on 7/25/18. So far, chemo recovery has been fairly uneventful. (I still have moments of anxiety.) The oncologist recommended that surveillance was best choice, unless I wanted to be aggressive. I had a couple of risk factors that helped me decide to go with the adjuvant chemo.

---------------------------------------
    6/4/18 BHCG 452, AFP 1
    6/13/18 CT Scan, no involvement beyond left testicle
    6/18/18 Radical Left inguinal orchiectomy, Pathology pure seminoma, rete testis obliterated
    7/1/18 BHCG 7, AFP 1.5
    7/12/18 BHCG<1, AFP 1.5, LDH 220, Diagnosed as Stage 1b, T3N0
    7/25/18 Adjuvant Chemotherapy, 780mg Carboplatin
    8/27/18 Next CT Scan scheduled
    9/7/18 Follow up oncologist appointment scheduled

Leave a comment:

• JoeTheAstronaut
    replied
    Good on you for standing up to them!! Good luck for the test

Leave a comment:

• ICU-RN
    replied
    Update: Had a huge fight with insurance last week. Cigna attempted to deny to cover my CT scans! Their nearly exact words were "You have testicular cancer, why do you need a chest and abdomen CT?" They attempted to only approve a pelvic CT, which most likely would not have shown if it had metastasized into my lymph nodes. Myself and my doctor were floored by this; I mean it's medicine 101... they can't even properly stage the tumor, much less decide on a treatment, if I don't get the scans! And I don't have $8-10k lying around to pay for it myself. This put me into a bit of an anxiety tailspin for a few days. But luckily, after appealing and sending to medical review, we managed to get the full chest/abdomen/pelvic scan approved! So it's a good ending at least, it was just a bit of a shock to hear that these scans were denied. Per my urologist, Cigna appears to be the only company that does this, they are known for denying common, necessary scans.

CT scan with IV contrast tomorrow at 9:40 am, and a follow up with the urologist to go over everything on Friday 8/17 at 9am. Fingers crossed for good news!

And another big thanks to everyone on this site. It's been a great source of information and comfort these last couple weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Pwsuba
    replied
    Sounds like you have been able to exhale and relax a bit with the information pouring in.

Since seems like every one has all the big things covered.

Enjoy having only the lonely, you now have less resistance.

Other than that I don’t know much about pure seminoma.

Leave a comment:

• ICU-RN
    replied
    Originally posted by eodtech2001 View Post
    Dont worry yourself over it. There is nothing you can do to change the outcome. If it hasnt not spread then itd surveillance. If it has spread you can do BEP or RT.
    That was the hardest part for me to get comfortable withth was the not knowing. Once you get into the mindset that you can not change the past and worrying doesnt help. Instead focus on if its this you will do that. If itd something else then you will deal with that too. Regardless you have a better than 85% chance of being cured even before you get your scan.
    So again dont sweat the past just prep yourself for what lies ahead.
    Thanks! Yeah the little bit of anxiety from not knowing is the worst, but so far I've felt pretty lucky with how everything is going. I'm in relatively good spirits, considering the circumstances! For now I'm gonna focus on the football preseason beginning, and try not to focus on the scans and such until I have to.

Leave a comment:

• eodtech2001
    replied
    Dont worry yourself over it. There is nothing you can do to change the outcome. If it hasnt not spread then itd surveillance. If it has spread you can do BEP or RT.
    That was the hardest part for me to get comfortable withth was the not knowing. Once you get into the mindset that you can not change the past and worrying doesnt help. Instead focus on if its this you will do that. If itd something else then you will deal with that too. Regardless you have a better than 85% chance of being cured even before you get your scan.
    So again dont sweat the past just prep yourself for what lies ahead.

Leave a comment:

• ICU-RN
    replied
    Update: Pathology results in. 100% seminoma. Doc says "if you get cancer, that's the type to get". Next stop is full body scans to check for spreading. I guess its good news, but my biggest worry is that since seminoma's don't usually raise blood markers, it may have spread elsewhere. Fingers crossed it hasn't, we'll find out after the scans. Things are moving so fast, but somehow doesn't feel fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• shabby
    replied
    The IO is tough. I remember any slight mismovement and the searing stabbing pain pretty vividly. Anyway, you're now moving away from the guessing game. Your pathology will come back. A day, week, month, doesn't matter when. Your treatment will not be affected so don't worry about things that aren't in your control. The biggest piece of advice I can give for IO recovery is to remember to move while breathing out. Holding your breath and exerting just makes the pain worse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X