Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Accident and testicular Cancer

Hello

This is my first post to your lovely forum. My name is Alexander and I'm 28 years old. Sorry for my English but I'm from Europe.

My story is as follows...

In the middle of August I had a very serious motorcycle accident. It caused me a lot of injuries including
    -traumatic aortic rapture (mortality above 80%). Doctors fixed it by putting a stent in my aorta
    -3 broken bones in pelvis and a slight displacement
    -both arms broken fixed on a surgery
    -shoulder broken
    -knee broken
    -partially raptured urethra (treated with catheter for 2 months).
    -i also hit in my balls but as doctors mentioned then there wasn't a serious problem with them.

I stayed in hospital for a about 40 days... When I came home I stayed in bed for a couple of weeks and then a returned in hospital to check my urethra which was OK so doctors removed the catheter.

By that day I started to walk and i returned to my job.

Everything was moving fine until I noticed a lump in my left testicle.
    That was about a week after they had the catheter out.
    I have arranged an appointment with my urologist who firstly diagnosed epididymitis but just to be sure he told me to have an ultrasound.
    When my doctor checked the results of the ultrasound examination diagnosed cancer and i had blood tests which showed:
    AFP=62
    bHCG=28
    Also one paraaortic lymph node is 2,7cm (CT scan)

I'm going to have an I/O next week.

I strongly believe that the tumor in my testicle is related to the accident.

Have you ever heard if testicular cancer may be related to serious injury?
    Is it possible just to be something else caused by the accident (although the positive markers)?

It's just unbelievable, in my mind, that the accident in unrelated to the tumor in my testicle and both (accident and tumor) happened in just 2 months.

Thanks for your help
    Diagnosed Nov 2008
    Left IO
    Non seminoma (50% seminoma,15%yalk sack, 15%teratoma, 15% embryonal carcinoma,5% choriocarcinoma)
    AFP =62, HCG=28
    2,7 and 1,8 cm Lymph nodes (and some lower than 1cm)
    4 BEP started 17 Dec
    After second cycle markers normalized and the two big lymph nodes disappeared. The nodes below 1cm remain stable
    Finished 4cycle ALL CLEAR SINCE

Originally posted by alexander View Post
    Have you ever heard if testicular cancer may be related to serious injury?
    Hi Alexander.
    Interesting question you raise.
    I too was recovering from a serious trauma when I was diagnosed.
    I was in a T-Bone type car accident, spent 7 days in the hospital. Broken ribs, Hemothorax and collapsed lung. Painful recovery...
    Did it trigger cancer growth??
    One of my doctors said, "I could have been genetically pre-disposed to TC, the cells were there- but dormat and became active only after my immune system was comromised by the trauma."

Another Doctor, my surgeon at MSKCC- said, "No Way!" He said it is completely unrelated and would not even entertain the conversation.

Who knows?
    Anyway, I wish you luck on your treatment. Please post the path and stage as you learn it.
    Joe
    Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
    Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
    The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Hey Alexander: I'm sorry that you've been through so much already. I can only imagine your disbelief that you're having to now deal with an orchiectomy, after surviving through something so traumatic as your accident. I don't believe I've come across any credible text that draws this correlation...my much wiser mods might correct me on this but I'm very curious to know as well. This may sound silly, but Andy was hit in the privy by a heavy rubber ball the weekend before he found out about his cancer. I'm curious to know if any other guys had similar experiences.

In the meantime, wishing you well with your I/O and hoping for the best possible news that your markers will normalize after the tumor is removed.
      Maria
      *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
      *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
      *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Hi Alexander, and welcome to the forum. Before I comment on your case, there's something I want to get out of the way.
        I strongly believe that the tumor in my testicle is related to the accident.
        Originally posted by Already Bald View Post
        Another Doctor, my surgeon at MSKCC- said, "No Way!" He said it is completely unrelated and would not even entertain the conversation.
        I agree with Joe's doc. It may seem like the TC was caused by your accident, but I think it's the accident that allowed you to detect the TC. Unless you did self-exams regularly, it is unlikely you would have caught this so early on. I have mentioned this in other threads, but the current working theory is that TC establishes itself in utero. It may or may not wake up, and no one knows yet what would make it come out of dormancy. Cancer is a disease of genetic defects, and physical trauma of any kind is very unlikely to be a causative agent of a disease whose etiology resides in the genes.

Now, judging by the markers, you have a non-seminoma. Once you have your I/O, you'll need to keep an eye for decreasing tumor markers. Given that you already show some lymphadenopathy, it is possible that chemo will follow (or surgery if your primary tumor has a large teratoma component).

Keep us posted, and let us know if we can be of further help.

Fed
        "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
        11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
        12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Thank you all for replying so fast

Originally posted by Fed View Post
          It may seem like the TC was caused by your accident, but I think it's the accident that allowed you to detect the TC.

Fed
          Fed what you say is absolutely logical if the tumor was discovered by doctors in hospital or by me trying to detect if my balls had a damage...

The tumor was discovered by me in the bathroom with no intend to examine myself!

Consider: if the possibility a man has TC once in his life is 1/500 and lets say the possibility of such a serious accident like mine is 1/100 then the possibility both happens and have no relation to each other is 1/500*1/100=1/50000. Now consider the possibility that not only both of this situations appear but they appear almost in the same time!

Thank you again for your interest
          Diagnosed Nov 2008
          Left IO
          Non seminoma (50% seminoma,15%yalk sack, 15%teratoma, 15% embryonal carcinoma,5% choriocarcinoma)
          AFP =62, HCG=28
          4 BEP started 17 Dec
          After second cycle markers normalized and the two big lymph nodes disappeared. The nodes below 1cm remain stable

Comment

Consider: if the possibility a man has TC once in his life is 1/500 and lets say the possibility of such a serious accident like mine is 1/100 then the possibility both happens and have no relation to each other is 1/500*1/100=1/50000. Now consider the possibility that not only both of this situations appear but they appear almost in the same time!
            Then I would call it coincidence. I just don't see how the accident would be the cause for you getting TC.
            "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
            12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

On Wednesday I had my left I/O so I have a question to ask

My scrotum is little swollen. Did this happen to you?
              Diagnosed Nov 2008
              Left IO
              AFP =62, HCG=28
              4 BEP started 17 Dec

Comment

Hey Alexander...this seems to be common with most guys. Ice packs when you can will certainly help. Best as you recover from this and post your pathology report when you get it.
                Maria
                *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
                *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
                *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Doctors told me that it should take about 15 days to get my pathology report...
                  As soon as I get it I'll post the results.

I'm hoping that the lump in my testicle is not TC but something else caused by the accident I describe above...
                  Diagnosed Nov 2008
                  Left IO
                  AFP =62, HCG=28
                  4 BEP started 17 Dec

Comment

The swelling is pretty normal, and it may also look like it is completely filled with blood. I've seen some posts where the person wondered if they had indeed taken it out. It does go down with time and even faster with ice.

Don't forget that the cure rates with TC are incredibly high so while it's a journey no one wants to embark on, it is likely to have a happy ending. Just think, one day you'll be telling the story of how a motorcycle accident saved your life.

take care of yourself,

Jen
                    Husband dx Jan 08, Age 43
                    CT and markers clear
                    Right I/O Jan 31 08
                    100% Seminoma, contained to testicle
                    17 days RT finished 3/27/08

Comment

On Wednesday I had my left I/O so I have a question to ask

My scrotum is little swollen. Did this happen to you?
                      I was taking 81mg Aspirin daily, right up to the day before the I/O.
                      (thins the blood of old guys like me to ease my heart, very common practice).
                      Not good right before surgery, though.
                      The brusing and swelling was unbeliveable! I probably bled out a little in the table, too.
                      It gets better over time.

As for you hoping that it is not TC, Friend, that is very unlikely.. The good news is you may already be cured!
                      Let us know the Pathology.
                      Joe
                      Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
                      Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
                      The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Hi!
                        Today I had an appointment with my oncologist to show him my pathology report.
                        It is as follows...

Size of tumor about 2cm.
                        50% seminoma
                        15% teratoma
                        15% yolk sac
                        15% embryonal carcinoma
                        5% choriocarcinoma

No invasion in epididymis
                        No vascular invasion
                        CT scan showed one lymp node of size 2,7cm.

The oncologist said that I had to follow the following BEP schema:
                        He named it 3 day BEP.
                        4 cycles of 3 day BEP.
                        Each cycle lasts 3 weeks but only the first 3 days they will give me the drugs.
                        So he said I'll have to stay 3 days in hospital for each cycle.

Have anyone heard about this kind of 3 day BEP schema?
                        Thank you again...
                        Diagnosed Nov 2008
                        Left IO
                        AFP =62, HCG=28
                        4 BEP started 17 Dec

Comment

Have anyone heard about this kind of 3 day BEP schema?
                          It's not the typical 3xBEP protocol, but I remember that there are some newer cycle combinations being pioneered (and there may be a forum member who has done this with a newer protocol). I'll have to dig it out.

Fed

Comment

Hello everybody!
                            I have just completed my 3d cycle of BEP schema.
                            Just before the 3d cycle I had a CT scan which showed that the initial 2,7 and 1,8 cm lymph nodes disappeared! Tumor markers have also been normalized!

The doctor said that they can see some lymph nodes in the CT which were visible also in the initial CT but the are under 1cm and have not changed their size so they are not considered suspicious.
                            So I hope I'm cancer free!
                            Would you consider these under 1cm lymph nodes suspicious?
                            Diagnosed Nov 2008
                            Left IO
                            AFP =62, HCG=28
                            4 BEP started 17 Dec

Comment

Congratulations on nearing the finish line with chemo. Subcentimeter lymph nodes should not be worrisome unless they are misshaped. It is worthwhile to keep tabs on them just in case (always need to look out for teratoma).

Comment

Working...
                              X