X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ASG
    • Dec 2012

Post rplnd lower back pain at night

Folks - new member to the site. Stage IIIA - NSGT removed from left retro area on November 1st. (4CM mass of necrosis no viable tumor on path, that was draped on intestine and compressed the renal vein)

Recently, had some moderate discomfort in lower left back to side that only comes at night when laying in bed and immediately dissipates when I wake up and start moving. (Admittedly, have had some sciatic discomfort throughout the day from being out of shape. At least I think.) Been running and exercising 3 times a week and the discomfort seems to feel muscular. The Pain changes with movement i.e. stretching etc.

My RPLND pulled the tumor off of my renal vein and kidney area. Apparently the surgery was pretty intense to save the kidney and a lot of digging was done in that area during the surgery.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms post RPLND? If so, any cause for concern?

Any thoughts experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Of course, this could be a part of my new psyche which seems to always wonder if something is cancer!
    Last edited by ASG; 12-29-12, 06:35 PM.
    Diagnosed 8/1/2012 - Stage IIIA NSGCT, 100% Embryonal, Retro Mass 10+CM, metastasis to diaphragmatic node below diaphragm, paraesophegieal

8/2 - 1xBEP and 3xEP
    11/1 - RPLND & L-Orchiectomy
    NOV-12'- All pathology shows necrosis from resected tumors and no evidence of disease in left testis except for scar. PET- shows no evidence of paraesophegeal node and diaphragmatic node under 1 CM - no activity. "IN REMISSION"
    1 FEB 13' - Negative Tumor Markers, Chest X-Ray Clear, Brain CT Scan - CLEAR, CHEST/ABD-PET/CT - CLEAR except for Thymus
  • Endaver1
    • Dec 2012

Hi,

- I had my RPLND in Oct. I've experienced the same issue with "pain" in lower back when laying down. Like you it goes away
    when I get up and move.
    - I have not been able to stretch my back like I've wanted to as I still have a drain tube. I am still limited to walking and light weights.
    - Not for sure what is causing this, but I am thinking in my case it is I am not able to stretch properly.

Comment

• ASG
      • Dec 2012

Endaver,

Many thanks for the response. Sorry to hear about the continued use of the drain tube. I am blessed to not have gone through that.

I wonder if it is a result of all the digging and "burning" they do in the surgery that disrupts nerves and the normal state of the anatomy down there. At least I hope that is what it is.

Endaver, What kind of tumor did they remove for you?

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if the location of this post was well placed, but either I am computer illiterate. (high probability) or I am not able to post a forum topic.

Thanks
      ASG
      Diagnosed 8/1/2012 - Stage IIIA NSGCT, 100% Embryonal, Retro Mass 10+CM, metastasis to diaphragmatic node below diaphragm, paraesophegieal

8/2 - 1xBEP and 3xEP
      11/1 - RPLND & L-Orchiectomy
      NOV-12'- All pathology shows necrosis from resected tumors and no evidence of disease in left testis except for scar. PET- shows no evidence of paraesophegeal node and diaphragmatic node under 1 CM - no activity. "IN REMISSION"
      1 FEB 13' - Negative Tumor Markers, Chest X-Ray Clear, Brain CT Scan - CLEAR, CHEST/ABD-PET/CT - CLEAR except for Thymus

Comment

• CancerSux
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ASG View Post
        Not sure if the location of this post was well placed, but either I am computer illiterate. (high probability) or I am not able to post a forum topic.
        It might get seen more if you move it (or I can) to"Treatment After the Orchiectomy: Radiation, Chemotherapy, RPLND, Surveillance", but as long as you are getting some answers, this is a fine section too - totally up to you.
        Tracy
        Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
        Left I/O 12/31/10.
        4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
        1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
        Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
        Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

• Endaver1
          • Dec 2012

ASG: I had Germ Cell Tumors. During my RPLND 68 Retropretineal Lymph Nodes were removed.

Comment

• archon
            • Jun 2019

I was diagnosed and treated 36 years ago (orchiectomy, RPLND, chemo). I've had back pain when laying down for as long as I can remember. When I get up, it slowly fades away. I've noticed that deep breathing seems to help, especially if I roll over to my stomach and take some weight off my back. I'm not so sure mine is muscular though - at least it doesn't seem like that to me.

It's been a few years. Are you guys still experiencing this pain?

Comment

Working...
            X