Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Year after chemo - ALL CLEAR, but no good sperm :(

Hi there.
    It has been a year that I have finished chemo, and it was time to do a sperm count.
    The results weren't very good - azoospermia.
    Although the doctor said it is possible that the sperm cells come back, I wanted to know the feedback here in the Forum and how many of you had no sperm cells and then they came back.
    Thank You

I just finished chemo recently, congrats on your all clear. If you remain azoospermic and you want to have another kid, you can always look into having a TESA/TESE procedure to biopsy testicle for active sperm. I had this done prior to chemo and I was able to freeze 3 vials of sperm (I'm azoospermic as well). If you've never heard of this procedure you can google it and find a lot of information. The recovery for the first 3 days is pure hell but after that it is fine. Hope that helps and good luck!

Comment

Do you know if you had azoospermia prior to chemotherapy? It is my understanding that return of sperm production after BEPx3 occurs in 50% of patients by the 2 year mark and 80% by the 5 year mark. I have also see some better numbers than that but in small studies. Likewise, as mentioned there are other procedures that may be available if the timing of waiting is not desired.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

Wishing you the best. Curious to see other responses.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

No I wasn't. I have conserved my sperm prior to chemo.

Comment

Working...
          X