X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression/anxiety

I am suffering from some depression and anxiety. It started over a month ago and got really bad along with the neuropathy in feet. About 2 weeks ago I saw my MD and we started some meds, after a few adjustments I am on Cymbalta and gabapentin. I got as needed Klonopin for anxiety, haven't used it yet. Just wondering how others dealt with any similar experiences.

-dignosed TC on 10/19/16
    -left radical orchiectomy 10/27/17, cancer is
    seminoma
    -follow up CT reveals 4.6cm node in abdomen,
    stage 2B
    -3x BEP starting 12/19/16 thru 2/14/17
    -follow up CT on 3/1/17, node down to 1.7cm, tumor
    markers neg. Will continue to monitor.
    -5/15/17 tumor markers neg.
    -7/17/17 tumor markers neg. CT shows node now at 1.3cm
    Last edited by Scottdbltrbl; 07-19-17, 11:05 AM.

Hi Scott, you cannot remain exactly the same person after living through cancer. In addition to the drugs you are already taking, I would suggest to try and stick to positive people and try to do the things you enjoy. Don't be hard on yourself. Take as long as you need. If you are feeling depressed, scared, negative, cannot fit in into the "normal" life easily, give yourself plenty of time. it is completely understandable.

Comment

It's tough, man, hopefully you have people in your life you can open up to who will support you and be there for you! They may not know what you're going through... Maybe creating some routines like going for walks regularly and cultivating new hobbies or rediscovering things you enjoyed can also help. I had anxiety and panic attacks for most of my life and that's what keeps me in line.

Comment

Hang in there! The emotional turmoil of cancer often smacks people in the face post treatment. You are not alone!!! I am a believer in exercise, not certain if you are active. Try to find a group near you if you can stomach that type of thing, it does wonders too. Connecting IRL with others living life with cancer or after cancer tx.
        My son is almost 3 months post chemo, and 6 weeks post RPLND and definitely has been dealing with emotional stuff. He was already on Xanax for anxiety prior to dx, along with other mood stabilizers pre dx for Autism issues. I'm waiting a few more weeks to see if he needs dosage adjusted.
        17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
        pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
        pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
        r/o 12/22/16
        Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
        PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
        2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
        BEP x 3 1/27/17
        Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
        2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Experiencing anxiety and depression after treatments are over is a normal things. If you were predisposed to having depression and anxiety before diagnosis it can be exacerbated after the diagnosis and treatments as well. One thing to keep in mind is that there is also the possibility of low testosterone adding to the situation. It may be worth asking your doctor about checking testosterone panel. A poster presentation at ASCO this year showed that over a third of those receiving cisplatin based chemotherapy for testicular cancer had some sort of testosterone deficiency http://abstracts.asco.org/199/AbstView_199_181646.html so again, it may be worth looking into just to see.

Mike
          Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
          06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
          06.26.06 Left I/O
          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
          06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
          Surveillance...
          Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
          6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

I don't have trouble going through this,but when family start to ask about this,especially about testicles,then I cross my line.All good,just don't ask me nothing please.
            Pre/o markers - HCG 1332, AFP 30, LDH 235
            pT1 (60% teratoma, 39% embyrional, 1% chorio)
            Post-op markers - HCG 1.2, AFP 2.3, LDH 379
            2XBEP

Comment

Thanks for the advice and info. Started back to work on Monday, just a couple shifts a week. Definitely helping already to be out of the house, and helping others (nursing).

Comment

SCOTT~ Glad your are starting back to work. Just know your feelings are common!
                17 year old son Grant dx 12/21/16
                pre/o markers 12/21/16- HCG:1065.15,AFP:298.8,LDH:1119
                pre/o CT Scan 12/22/16 normal
                r/o 12/22/16
                Post r/o Elevated Markers with INCREASE 4 weeks post r/o;
                PATHLOGY: mixed maligent germ cell 8.6 x 6.2 x 5.9 cm

-80% Embryonal, 10% Yolk Sac, 5% Teratoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma w/LVI within Spermatic Cord and invasion into Rete Testis
                2nd CT scan on 1/24/17 3 nodes 2 over 2.5, one over 3.5
                BEP x 3 1/27/17
                Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

good to hear that you are back to work and feeling useful. Work is a good distraction I find. Yes as everyone here is saying - you are not alone. Be easy on yourself and give yourself time.

Comment

I can definitely relate to anxiousness. I've become very stressed over my health, even to extent of having occasional panic attacks over the smallest things. That was not something I ever thought could happen nor something I was prepared for and it's been by far the hardest part of this whole journey. When I was first diagnosed having stage I seminoma and the time waiting for my i/o and healing from that, I was focused, driven and mainly in good mood. It was only after all those things, around the time of my first follow up, that all the mental and emotional baggage really took a toll on me.

These things are of course individual, but I'm pretty certain that having a cancer, no matter what kind or the severity of the said disease, will affect most people even on some level and quite possibly change their outlook on life, themselves and/or their well being and health. It's just that our brains can't keep up during the rapid process that follows being diagnosed, or maybe I should say that they keep us focused on the situation at hand, so we can operate at our best through those stressful times. It's only after the "danger is over", that all those feelings of worry, sadness, anger, etc. are being let loose. It's perfectly normal.

It's great that you're getting back to work and being active. I think it's very important to try pick up where you left, so to speak, and carry on with your regular life. Just remember, that you're still recovering, so go easy on yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X