X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of interest in sex?

Since having TC back in 2012, I've experienced a lot of anxiety. One of the big things that I've experienced is that I'm no longer interested in sex. Has anyone experienced this? In terms of a relationship, the emotional aspect is everything for me. Spending time together, watching a movie, ordering some good food. But that's it, I've lost interest in sex.

And it's not my testosterone, which has been tested regularly at my follow-up.

Any thoughts?

How about the rest of your health? Stress, exercise, diet, social infrastructure.
    Age 31 - Portland, OR
    01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
    13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
    27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
    06DEC16 - CT scan clear
    09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
    03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
    18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

First, how old are you?

Assuming you are fairly young, my guess is it's the anxiety that is causing this, might be time to get some professional help to deal with that.There is no physical reason that losing a testicle will cause loss of interest in sex.

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I am no expert, but I suspect having a "general" testosterone test vs. a full endocrinology panel are two different things. Your testosterone could be fine but perhaps an over production of another hormone could be in play. Although testonsterone seems fine maybe a start with the enod. is helpful (clear results and data) vs. other avenues first which could be more subjective.

Comment

So sorry. I agree with the suggestion if you have NOT had full endocinology panel to have one done. If dealing with severe anxiety than it might very well impact your sex drive. If not horomonal cause, than look into medication if you can.
          Son Grant
          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.
          Grant is enjoying his senior year in High School Cancer Free!

Comment

Originally posted by mcintoda View Post
            How about the rest of your health? Stress, exercise, diet, social infrastructure.
            Things are not the greatest with regard to exercise and social interaction. I'm stressed out, unable to find steady work. Diet is okay. But this has been an issue for years now, it just seems that now there's someone in my life, the issue is more apparent. I'm extremely uncomfortable with even the thought of it, and when the opportunity comes up I just want nothing to do with it.

Dave, yes the anxiety has been an ongoing issue. I'm in my late 20s. I was seeing a psychiatrist following the diagnosis, but he up and left, and I found the benzos I was prescribed weren't really addressing the issue. It is bad--the thought of the cancer reappearing, despite what I've been told, has been on my mind. I've had some worries, which I fear are related to cancer, but I've had multiple doctors reject my theories. I guess what I do is (attempt to) ignore that whole area entirely, it probably so sounds crazy, but I can't even bring myself to examine my remaining testicle. Even when doctors examine it, I kind of have that same fear some people have with needles. It's palpable.

RWA & Trekga, I'm not sure about a full endocrinology panel, but I will raise it at my next appointment. That's a good point.

Thanks very much for your responses.

Comment

Oh wow, really sounds like anxiety/possible phobia disorder. I am not a doctor though. I still think a full endoctinology workup can at least rule out horomonal issue. So sorry you are dealing with this.
              I can relate since my son Grant has Autism, so he has similiar things he deals with in regards to anxiety. When he was dx, he just could not at the age 17 even think about banking sperm, it stressed him out, and his medical treatment was moving quickly so taking time to help him mentally overcome his fear did not happen. Can't force a 17 year old to produce sperm samples!
              Son Grant
              dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
              Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Hi Trekga, yes you're probably right. It wouldn't be the first one, but my family doctor just told me to let him deal with the examinations because it knows it bothers me.

I'm sorry to hear about your son, it's tough, dealing with multiple issues at once, especially a cancer diagnosis. I had a panic disorder before this, you could say something similar to what your son experiences if I'm not mistaken, anxiety in large crowds, irritability, loud noises aggravate the symptoms. Not to the same extent, by far, but it's a challenge, but it looks like he has a good support system.

I was even tested long before my diagnosis for cysts in the region. I remember a few ultrasounds in my teens. And wouldn't you know I eventually end up with it? I was never even told about sperm samples at the time of my diagnosis, but I don't have a lot of positive things to say about my health care system. It's taxpayer funded, funds the unthinkable, but it doesn't cover sperm samples or storage, and I've always wanted to have a family one day.

Thanks again for the tip, will ask my GP about a full workup.

I wish you and your son all the best. I know a TC diagnosis is just as daunting on the family.

Comment

Let us know if you have a full work up. Anxiety can be crippling at times, but it is good to rule out other medical reasons. My son definitely has hormonal issues, and is awaiting referral to an Endricologist. He has no morning " ", ackward to ask him, but I did, and his first post treatment T, LSH, etc levels are all out of whack plus he is exhausted all the time.
                  Son Grant
                  dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

Working...
                  X