• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JesperDK
    • Nov 2017

worried about seminoma relapse

Hi guys

I'm writing to share some worries.
    Originally i was diagnosed in 2011, 100% seminoma, no invasion, normal bloodwork, nothing on my CT - stage 1 - I was putted on surveillance.
    In 2013 I had a rare relapse. A swollen lymph node in my groin. It was removed and I was given adjuvant RT (18 days/36GY/dogleg).
    I finished my treatment in may 2013 and everything have been good ever since (4,5 yrs).

14 days ago I was at a tjek-up (physical + bloodwork). Normal bloodwork but doc found a swollen node in my left armpit. Not a big one (about 7mm she said). She said that everything under 1 cm was not alarming, but since I am a cancer pt, they don't take chances.
    I can't remember being sick or have done something to my arm/hand that can explain the single node. I can't even feel the node myself....

Still i'm a bit worried. I have also felt a soreness for a while near the buttom of ribcage in right side, not in front but in the side, and a feeling of pressure from the "area". But when the doctor pushed at my lever area, especially in the front, there was no pain. Only at the ribcage and this strange "pressure feeling", when I sit or lean to the right. The doctor was more concentrated about the node in my armpit than the other thing.

What do you think? My last CT was a year ago I guess. It was clear. Is it long time enough to cause this pain/uncomfort from area near the liver - and make a single node in armpit a little swollen?. I don't know what to think.

Tomorrow i'm going to the hospital to get an ultrasound and maybe a biopsy of the node if it still is present.

Regards from Jesper

• Trekga
    • Jan 2017

Did you get an ultrasound? Keep us updated.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• JesperDK
      • Nov 2017

Hi again :-)

Update - I went to hospital today to get the ultrasound of armpit. Result = No enlarged node in my armpit - they were all normal. Doc also looked at the other armpit and I asked if he could look at the buttom of ribcage in right side because of the weird pain I have had. He said my kidney and liver was looking fine and concluded that the uncomfortness in the right side probably was muscle-related :-)

It's going to be a good weekend :-))

Comment

• LawnMM
        • Jun 2016

That's great news, an early Christmas present!

I have some pain on the right side and around on my back a few ribs up from the bottom. Probably muscular, maybe relates jogging, who knows...hard not to think your old nemesis is back, though!

Comment

• Davepet
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by LawnMM View Post
          ..hard not to think your old nemesis is back, though!
          That is probably the biggest problem once a cancer is beat. Even though human beings experience various aches & pains that are not serious throughout their lives, once a cancer has been encountered, we tend to think every one of them *HAS* to be caused by the cancer returning..With TC, this is very rarely the case.I think, as a group of survivors, we need to start understanding that better.

Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by LawnMM View Post
            ..hard not to think your old nemesis is back, though!
            That is probably the biggest problem once a cancer is beat. Even though human beings experience various aches & pains that are not serious throughout their lives, once a cancer has been encountered, we tend to think every one of them *HAS* to be caused by the cancer returning..With TC, this is very rarely the case.I think, as a group of survivors, we need to start understanding that better.

Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• JesperDK
              • Nov 2017

Yes - spot on Dave. Through the years I have waste lots of precious time, being worried now and then.
              In the Danish follow-up protocol after seminoma - that has been adjuvant treated, there aren't so many scans after the first 2 years, so you don't need lot of fantasy to imagine all scenarios, when a pain shows up in periods

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
                • Dec 2016

Congrats, Jesper, what a relief!! Cancer messes with your head, I start imagining all sorts of nasty things the closer I get to a checkup… That’s part of our reality now, worry!
                July 2016 - Left I/O
                December 2016 - BEPx3
                All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
                My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• JesperDK
                  • Nov 2017

Thanx Joe :-)..
                  Btw, does anyone know the relapse-rate for seminoma after almost 5 yrs?.. When i recieved adjuvant treatment, they said rate was braught down to about 5%. But it was then - right after the treatment was over.

Comment

• Trekga
                    • Jan 2017

Hard not to let your mind think of relapse. Keep us updated.
                    Son Grant
                    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Working...
                    X