X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARRGGHHHH I'm Going Ham(let)!!!

Hi Everyone, it's been a while since I've been on and I hope all is well. I started going back to school in the fall and the semester is just wrapping up. I definitely overdid it but I made it out alive. Since I'm finishing my associates degree in the Spring I will be transferring in the fall. We all know how much colleges cost so over the past week I've been submitting scholarship essays like mad but they've all been very boring. Early today I found one that I was finally able to get creative with. The reason I named this post going Hamlet is because over the past 8 weeks I haven't been feeling great. I started to develop eczema and because of that my sleep has been...well... all ****ed up! I haven't had any physical contact with a female since long before all this bull**** happened. Now it's even more ****ed up...you know...being lopsided. Lately my mind has been focused on the dark side, but I think writing this little ditty here helped clear me up a bit. So the prompt for this scholarship is "What do you want to be when you grow up (It's never too late to dream)" and below is what I wrote. By the way, if I win, I get $10,000! Please let me know what you think!

Coffee Mug Slogans, "There's a good chance this is WINE"

Remember laughing at the novelty coffee cups in a gift shop? The one that resembles a medicine vial with the amount of milligrams of caffeine? My mom's favorite read "There's a good chance this is WINE". Or one with the tick marks indicating permission to speak? Well none of those are my favorite, the best mug wasn't even one that I purchased, rather one that I made in summer camp when I was 10. I remember how happy I was when dad could send me to camp. In return, I had to present a gift that he'd love and use. I knew he drank coffee everyday so it was the perfect choice. This was a hand-crafted work of art, and it read "World’s Best Dad" written in fingerprint. Though that mug is no longer with us (faulty handle engineering), the message remains.

We work to have a successful career that fulfills our professional goals and motivates us to pursue more challenging tasks to reach self-actualization. What happens when it's time to pass on our good traits, knowledge, genetics and assets? When I grow up I want to be the world’s best dad! So many broken homes, absentee parents, poverty and unspeakable crimes. Giving the gift of life, a loving mother and father is the most important job ever. If you want to make the world a better place, start with your world, start at home.

Jung said, "There is no coming to consciousness without pain". My story doesn't have a happy ending. Cancer took away my ability to have children at 31 years old, 1 year after starting college. How ironic, when the journey began no sooner was the end at hand. So, what do I want to be when I grow up? Let’s start with healthy!

Daniel_Eye

Glad you checked in, I enjoyed your writing. Life after cancer is not always a smooth sailing. Let us know what happens, wishing you the best.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.
    Grant is enjoying his senior year in High School Cancer Free!

Comment

Totally enjoyed your writing. That's a special gift you have. I hope to be able to read more

Comment

Thank you both. Sorry for the late response, I haven't been on the site in a while. I'm still waiting to find out who won the essay contest, but I'm hoping it is me!

Comment

Working...
        X