Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I relapse? confused Help!

Hi all

I got my Ct Scan result today, everything looks good except one thing. The Ct scan reading
    says: no masses or intra-abdominal adenopathy are observed, and then right under says : the soft ones of 18 x 14 mm anterior to the vena cava inferior to the height of the aortoiliac bifurcation compatible with adenopathy (literally translated from spanish)
    and bellow opinion of the radiologist says:
    Retroperitoneal adenopathy

But thatís it, no more information. It actually seems weird to me that this is indicating enlarged lymph nodes since my path report showed no invasion, and a Pure Seminoma Stage I. Also all blood markers have always been clear ever since BHCG, AFP and LDH have never been elevated before and after my operation April 8 2017.
    Let me tell you that I had some mild fever, stomach age and mild sore throat due to a rhino pharyngitis as diagnosed by my Dr, which is some kind viral infection in the throat a few days before the Ctscan
    Could it be related to this infection..? since I read lymph nodes are enlarged when they encounter an infection or due to malignant cells.
    I only had one Ctscan before opt, and this is my second Ctscan thatís because all Doctors I saw said I was a low risk patient and that Ctscan could wait to avoid unnecessary exposition to radiation. I already scheduled an appointment to see my Uro, but it will be until next week. Meanwhile Iíd appreciate your valuable feedback and opinion.

Sorry if my English is not clear enough, but itís not my first language

Attached is the real Spanish version of the Ctscan Reading I'm concerned about:
    Attached Files
    39 year old diagnosed Right Mass as per U/S
    Pre/o CT-Scan Chest Xray all Clear march 24 2017
    Right I/O April 8th 2017
    Path report 100% Pure Seminoma Tumor Size 2.5cm x 1.3cm no invasion/surveillance decided
    Tumor Markers never elevated
    Chest Xray clear Ct-Scan January 28 2018 shows 18x14 mm aortocaval node.
    May 11 BHCG Mild elevated 3.1 Reference Value 2.7
    May 25 2018 Chest CT-Scan Clear
    May 31 2018 MRI showing aortocaval node is now 35mm, everything else clear

Hello
    I saw my Uro last Friday and said it the soft ones of 18 x 14 mm seen in the Ctscan could be something to be worry about or could not. He said to avoid exposition to radiation I should have a magnetic resonance instead of Ctscan in 7 weeks. And see if that Lymp node or whatever it is measuring 18 x 14 mm stays there or is gone as I had that Sore Throat (rhino pharyngitis) and stomach discomfort. Also he said to get blood test AFP BHCG and LDG markers which have never been elevated, and that if they are now I should see him immediately. I’ll do blood test this week and let you know, meanwhile I'd appreciate your comments about my situation explained in the first post
    Right I/O April 8th 2017
    Path report 100% Pure Seminoma Tumor Size 2.5cm x 1.3cm no invasion/surveillance decided

Comment

Waiting &re-checking is probably reasonable, but I thunk I'd be more comfortable with another CT. I'm not certain if the MRI image will be comparable to the CT, but I am no doc.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Yes Davepet, same thing said my URO, it's hard to compare Ctscan to MRI, but another Ctscan it's too much exposition to radiation, he said. He said not to get the MRI test before 7 weeks so he can clearly understand the behavior of that 18 x 14 mm thing. What he asked me to do now is Blood markers which I'll be doing some time this week and Uro said if they are elevated come see me immediately. After getting blood markers, I"m thinking of seeing another Urologist-Oncologist to get a second opinion of the Ctscan images.
        Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

Well, if the tumor markers are elevated, then you have more indications of a relapse. The lymph nodes can be hard to interpret as far as what node that it is, etc. However, at 18 mm it is of significant size. I am not sure that I have heard of a sore throat causing this. However again, using caution and not rushing to judgement would be estimated to do little to your outcomes so it makes since. I personally would not be so afraid of radiation that I would not do another abdominal/pelvic CT scan. If the radiologists are experts with MRI and evaluating retorperitoneal disease then they most likely would have used MRI first as is done in a few countries.

Did you have the cancer in your left testicle? Did you have any prior surgery to your scrotum or groin?

MIke
          Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
          06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
          06.26.06 Left I/O
          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
          06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
          Surveillance...
          Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
          6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Hello Mike

I had right I/O back in April 8 2017, I did not have prior surgery to my scrotum or groin. What the Path showed was Germinal Pure Classic Seminoma tumor size 2.5 x 1.3. No invasion or spread was found thatīs why my Docīs decided to keep me on surveillance, the path also said that some Marker Called OCT34 or OCT 3/4 was positive. I only had one Ctscan and Chest Xray before opt on March 24 which was clear, and then the Ctscan that shows that 18 x 14 mm thing last February 27. And blood markers have never been elevated.
            Last edited by mauroeg7; 02-08-18, 03:34 PM.
            Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

Well, as long as you and your MD are comfortable with the wait, then I don;t see that it will have any real impact on your outcome. It isn't uncommon to see MDs re-image in 4-6 weeks when they are not sure of the results. In my mind, adding an MRI into the mix though may only complicate things as far as comparisons but you can always ask your doctor their thoughts on it.

Mike
              Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
              06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
              06.26.06 Left I/O
              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
              06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
              Surveillance...
              Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
              6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Yes My Uro said that MRI while is less radiation it's hard to compare to the Ctscan. That's why I'm thinking of seeing another URO and get that second opinion. That 7 week waiting is too much for me. The Doc I'll be scheduling an appointment with is actually Urologist-Oncologist, not sure if that's better. I was thinking also of talking to the radiologist that read the results of the CTscan to get his clear opinion. But I think I'll wait until I see that Uro Onco and see what he says about the whole thing. What do you guys recommend.?
                Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

Here's how I see it. If you have had a relapse, waiting 7weeks won't change anything. You will probably get either 3xBEP or 4xEP & will be cured. If you have not had a relapse, obviously waiting seven weeks if not a problem. I would suggest waiting, but insisting on a CT scan. Seems best to compare apple to apples, even with the extra radiation.Considering how many CT scans we get as TC survivors, an extra one isn't likely to make a difference.

Dave

Comment

Thank you Davepet, I find your previous post wise as I did with Mikes. So assuming it makes no difference waiting 7 weeks, do you still recommend seeing another Uro Onco Dr. to have him take a look at my Ctscan Imaging for a second opinion, or should I wait and stick with My uro, the one that treated me from the start. he is actually the one who did my Right I/O.

I find valuable your input since you've been through this for many years now
                    Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

A second opinion is never a bad idea,and you cn still go to your original doc for treatment. Your case seems pretty straightforward at this point, though, if it gives you peace of mind to get a second opinion, do it, I wouldn't thunk it's critical to do though.

Dave

Comment

Hello
                        I recieved yesterday my blood markers result. They are clear within the range. I'm scheduling an appointment to see another Uro-oncologist in the bext two weeks and see what he says about the imaging and the 18x14 mm thing
                        Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

Sounds like a plan let us know what he says.

Comment

Dear all

I saw another Dr. Uro-oncologist today. He checked the Ct-Scan and said he is able to see the 18x14 mm aortocaval node and thinks it's a mass and/or enlarged lymph node. But he said he will ask a radiologist to take a look at it and make sure it really is.
                            In case it's a malignant lymph node or mass he said he will probably order radiation to clear it, and will let me know.
                            Dr. also wants me to get Torax Ct-Scan since other Drs only ordered Pelvic CtScan and Thorax Xray...is it really necessary to get a Chest/Thorax Ct-Scan.?

do you think radiation is the way to go if this 18x14 mm is actually spreads TC ..?

For your information

Pelvic Ct-Scan all clear march 24 2017
                            Right I/O April 8th 2017
                            Path report 100% Pure Seminoma no spreads
                            Tumor Markers always clear, never elevated
                            Pelvic Tc-Scan January 28 2018 shows 18x14 mm aortocaval node

Last edited by mauroeg7; 03-01-18, 08:28 PM.
                            Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

Radiation seems to be falling out of favor most places, bt it's still used for seminoma.Personally, I don't think I would go that route, but it's your choice.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X