X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davepet View Post

Well, there are very good reasons to avoid random people during chemo, the biggest being that chemo kicks the sh!t out of your immune system, & while they can inject drugs to lessen that effect, they do not eliminate it. The other is that chemo often kicks the sh!t out of the patient & it may not be possible to work. I know I could not have workedthe fatigue was just too much.It doesn't matter what you doc "wants" tell him you need the flexibility to work or not as you see fit, pretty sure most of us don't even try.

Dave
    Well My WBC got very low at day 11, cycle 1 of chemo. Seems like Im neutropenic because of BEP. According to yesterday blood test my WBC is 1.2. I got a shot of Neulasta at day 5, and still WBC very low
    Does this happen frequently to TC patients on chemo.?
    Im currently inpatient because of this and I was also being treated of urinary infection which is now overcome. I had intense pains in my legs muscles and bones of my legs yesterday I think it was because of the low WBC.
    has anybody here faced this situation during treatment.?

Are there any foods to help increase WBC.?

Im feeling better today and also I will be checked by another Oncologist from this hospital.
    Last edited by mauroeg7; 10-05-18, 05:47 PM.
    39 year old diagnosed Right Mass as per U/S
    Pre/o CT-Scan Chest Xray all Clear march 24 2017
    Right I/O April 8th 2017
    Path report 100% Pure Seminoma Tumor Size 2.5cm x 1.3cm no invasion/surveillance decided
    Tumor Markers never elevated
    Chest Xray clear Ct-Scan January 28 2018 shows 18x14 mm aortocaval node.
    May 11 BHCG Mild elevated 3.1 Reference Value 2.7
    May 25 2018 Chest CT-Scan Clear
    May 31 2018 MRI showing aortocaval node is now 35mm, everything else clear

Comment

It seems like my WBC surprisingly recovered. I had a new blood test on saturday and from 1.2 they increased to 11 which is into normal value. did this happen because of the Neulasta shot?
      My platelets are below normal value 110. However my Urologist didnt seem concerned about it. Also since I didnt get Bleomycin shot last week because I was inpatient treating my Ecoli urinary infection, another Oncologist that saw me in the hospital said I should miss that Bleomycin dose get Bleo dose this week and move on with how my treatment was previously scheduled.

did anybody ever miss a Bleomycin day and how was it handled.?
      Thank you
      Right I/O April 8th 2017
      Path report 100% Pure Seminoma Tumor Size 2.5cm x 1.3cm no invasion/surveillance decided

Comment

Mauroeg7,

Yes, your WBCs are up due to the Neupogen. Neupogen forces your bone marrow into over-drive to accelerate production of your immune system (WBC, Neutrophils, etc).

You should not have missed Bleo due to a low immune system. Bleo does not impact your immune system like Etoposide and Cisplatin do. At Bleo time in weeks 1 and 2 your immune system is recovering by itself, and with the Neupoogen, there is zero chance that the Bleo would further reduce your WBC and Neutrophil counts.

I faced this exact same issue in and my Onco. said exactly what I said above. She gave me my Neupogen and then Bleo...no delay or skip.

- Matt
        March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
        March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
        6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
        LDH never fully normalized
        Stage: IS
        Watchful Waiting
        May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
        May 12th: started 3xBEP
        Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
        July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
        August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
        September 4th: Port removed
        July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

I missed a BLEO because my grandfather died during my chemo. So the bleo day i went to the funeral. That was like on a thursday or friday. They just picked up the bleo the next week
          Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
          Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
          Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
          Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
          April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
          May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
          August 7th 2012- BEP complete
          April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
          May 2013 RPLND
          Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
          Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
          Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
          Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
          Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
          Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Originally posted by JeskiM69 View Post
            Mauroeg7,

Yes, your WBCs are up due to the Neupogen. Neupogen forces your bone marrow into over-drive to accelerate production of your immune system (WBC, Neutrophils, etc).

You should not have missed Bleo due to a low immune system. Bleo does not impact your immune system like Etoposide and Cisplatin do. At Bleo time in weeks 1 and 2 your immune system is recovering by itself, and with the Neupoogen, there is zero chance that the Bleo would further reduce your WBC and Neutrophil counts.

I faced this exact same issue in and my Onco. said exactly what I said above. She gave me my Neupogen and then Bleo...no delay or skip.

- Matt
            Thank you Matt Well I already missed that one Bleo, and it wasnt due to low immune system, but because I had that urinary infection Ecoli Ble resistant to antibiotics and stayed in the hospital one week. I still have this infection but under conttol with antibiotics. I will see my oncologist tomorrow and we will see what his recommendation regarding the Bleo dose I didnt get on day 9 is. Also Im afraid he will be upset since I didnt get the biopsy or the PETCT before chemo as he had suggested. Im currently getting at the Cancer facility the bleo shot and once I.m done here, I will get blood tests WBC, markers, creatinine.
            Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

Hello I.m on cycle 2 day 3 of BEP x 3. So far I think I.m doing fine. But there is one thing that makes me concerned. I got a Neulasta shot day 5 of first cycle, but still my WBC as I told you were 1.2 and Neutrophils 0.4 on day 11. On day 13 first cycle I had another WBC test and WBC were 10.5 and neutrophils were 8.1. Third week on day 17 another WBC shows 18.1 elevated WBC and like 14.0 neutrophils. The oncologists saw this tests and didnt seem concerned and said go ahead and start 2 Cycle and order a second shot of Neulasta on day 5 again. Is it necessary to get Neulasta on day 5 every cycle.? I.m afrais this can damage the bone narrow, or should I skip that Neulasta shot. Whats better for BEP Neulasta or Neupogen.?
              Last edited by mauroeg7; 10-18-18, 06:19 PM.
              Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

I would just follow the doc's orders. I've never heard of any problems from those shots, & some of us had one & others had the other & they both seem to work about the same.

Dave
                Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by mauroeg7 View Post
                  Hello
                  I saw my Uro last Friday and said it the soft ones of 18 x 14 mm seen in the Ctscan could be something to be worry about or could not. He said to avoid exposition to radiation I should have a magnetic resonance instead of Ctscan in 7 weeks. And see if that Lymp node or whatever it is measuring 18 x 14 mm stays there or is gone as I had that Sore Throat (rhino pharyngitis) and stomach discomfort. Also he said to get blood test AFP BHCG and LDG markers which have never been elevated, and that if they are now I should see him immediately. I’ll do blood test this week and let you know, meanwhile I'd appreciate your comments about my situation explained in the first post

Just to note, I don't think I've ever heard of tumor markers elevating if they weren't elevated with the original tumor in the testicle.
                  Dx: 10/4/10
                  Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
                  Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
                  11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
                  11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
                  11/18/10- Surveillance
                  10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
                    I would just follow the doc's orders. I've never heard of any problems from those shots, & some of us had one & others had the other & they both seem to work about the same.

Dave
                    Thank you Dave, I just thought that since that Neulasta shot increased my WBC to leukocytosis it might be an issue but Dr. checked those labs and didnt look concerned.

Did you get Neulasta or Neupogen and how many shots.?

I.m scheduled to get that one Neulasta shot today after I.m done with Etposido and cisplatin..
                    Last edited by mauroeg7; 10-19-18, 12:41 PM.
                    Right I/O April 8th 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by mauroeg7 View Post
                      Did you get Neulasta or Neupogen and how many shots.?.
                      Afraid I cannot recall, it was ~15 years ago.
                      Dave

Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                      X