Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near 5 yr mark, but nervous

Hi there

7 yrs have gone now. 5 yrs since recurrence and radiation and the last tjeck-up is now just around the corner.
    I’m starting to get nervous. Even though all of my previously tjeckups were fine in the last 5 years. There have been a bloodsample that have been raised a bit a couple of times (LDH) but have went to normal again, and once a doctor thought she could feel a swollen lymphnode in my armpit - there wasen’t any when i got an ultrasound.

Right now - as I also described it a year ago, i still have some pain when pressing up my lower ribcage in right side - not right side front, but under my arm, down under the lowest ribarea and only under the rib press up on it - it’s a pain that only is present when the area is palpated - and it’s the same pain as a year ago... some days I dont feel it and other days the area is more tender.
    When i had ultrasound done to my armpit a year ago, i got the doctor to tjeck the ribcagearea as well - he couldn’t see anything and concluded that it was musclerelated/posture related.

So overall i know that i have good chances that everything is good - last scan i had was at the 3 year mark and was clear, but when i feel that ribcage or having other ordinary healthissues, my mind is driving me crazy and it’s then difficult to be happy, because i fear that my world is about to turn when they’re doing the last scan :-/

———————————————— ———

2011 100% seminoma, operation and surveillance

2013 recurrence in groin. Node was removed and i got radiation (18 days - 36 GY)

All clear ever since

I've had swollen lymph nodes in my neck, back, armpit, all benign. I have scalp dermatitis and some of those pimples... or whatever get infected when popped, and that causes swelling to occur on the back of the neck or behind the ear. Same thing with armpits and local pimples, or cuts that get infected. I always keep an eye on them, and they always go back down. Nothing to worry about there.

I also work out quite a bit, and I get similar pains to what you experience under the rib cage. It's just anxiety. No need to worry. Out of all the types of TC to have, you have the laziest, slowest, most predictable one possible. I'm sure you're more than fine after your round.
    Dx: 10/4/10
    Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
    Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
    11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
    11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
    11/18/10- Surveillance
    10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Yes, it's scary before a big milestone, but I also think about how my mind magnifies things closer to the date - aches and pains that come up two weeks before check up that were never a problem before... You can have a big celebration when it all goes through well!!
      July 2016 - Left I/O
      December 2016 - BEPx3
      All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
      First Oncologist Visit Checklist
      3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
      3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
      Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Thanks guys. No doubt that this is an emotional rollercoaster. For some periods i have dealt very good with it, and others, like now are hell :-(. Even though i know that odds are in my favor. I have never found all the perfekt mind-tools to handle it 100%, not even after 5 yrs, but have had many long good times in between.

Comment

Can't wait until you post ALL CLEAR results!
          Son Grant
          dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
          Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
          2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
          Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Did you get an all clear yet? When is your next appointment?
            11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
            11/18/10- Surveillance
            10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Hi there

Today was the day, I was getting a CT scan.
              Then im going to the lab tommorow to deliver a blodsample (HCG, AFP, LDH).

The appointment with the doc is the 29. Normally you meet the doc about a week after the scan but at this time the hospital dont have enough radiologists to analyze scans for the moment, so they are behind with the work.

Im nervous. I know that lots of odds are in my favor, but its been 2 yrs since the last scan and i feel different kinds of symptoms that, i€m sure can be explained by something benign and innocent, but in this situation I feel every fibre in my body.

The bloodwork is published on a page i can log on to, - I can do that 2 days after they have take the sample to se results
              Last edited by JesperDK; 11-13-18, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JesperDK View Post
                Hi there

Today was the day, I was getting a CT scan.
                Then im going to the lab tommorow to deliver a blodsample (HCG, AFP, LDH).

The appointment with the doc is the 29. Normally you meet the doc about a week after the scan but at this time the hospital dont have enough radiologists to analyze scans for the moment, so they are behind with the work.

Im nervous. I know that lots of odds are in my favor, but its been 2 yrs since the last scan and i feel different kinds of symptoms that, i€m sure can be explained by something benign and innocent, but in this situation I feel every fibre in my body.

The bloodwork is published on a page i can log on to, - I can do that 2 days after they have take the sample to se results

Just keep your cool. "Feeling different symptoms" isn't exactly characteristic of TC since most never "feel" anything unless it's the discovery of their tumor. Let us know what the blood test results are.
                11/18/10- Surveillance
                10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

FINALLY!!

I was at the hospital yesterday. 5 years out after my recurrence.
                  CT scan and bloodwork was all clear, so they are letting me go now :-)))... I have been så nervous because it was 2 years since the last scan. But it is all good. :-)))

Comment

Congrats, man!!! You missed a year?
                    July 2016 - Left I/O
                    December 2016 - BEPx3
                    All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                    3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
                    3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
                    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

No - the check-up protocol for seminoma after radiation in Denmark does not include scans after the second year until this last point. I got one in year 3 because of some weird chestpains/soreness over a long time that was related to chestmuscles, they found out. Normally from yr 2-5 there are only bloodwork/check up by doctor. I was told that it was because of very very low recurrencerate after treatment.

Comment

Congratulations! Jesper!

Now is you really start a new journey with good health!
                        The past is just a story ! I am really happy for you!

With you all the best!

Amy, Ryan’s mum

Comment

Originally posted by JesperDK View Post
                          No - the check-up protocol for seminoma after radiation in Denmark does not include scans after the second year until this last point. I got one in year 3 because of some weird chestpains/soreness over a long time that was related to chestmuscles, they found out. Normally from yr 2-5 there are only bloodwork/check up by doctor. I was told that it was because of very very low recurrencerate after treatment.
                          In most of the rest of the world, you would expect to be scanned at LEAST once a year for the first 5 years. It Seem odd that Denmark would choose to take such a different path from everyone else...
                          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Youre right Dave, its odd. I dunno why there are so large differences from country to country but it seem so sometime.
                            I just found my protocol. In these 5 years, i have got 4 ct’s. The only thing that has happened at every visit is bloodwork and personal tjeckup by the doctor. I’m sure its probably different if the patient has recieved no treatment but are under surveillance or if the tumortype is more aggressive than seminoma which i have.

Comment

Working...
                            X