Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to have children post chemo?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is it okay to have children post chemo?

Hey everyone. I finished chemo back in early January 2018, the 12th to be exact. Almost recent scans this past may still show me to be all clear. Hope to stay that way.

When is it safe to have children post chemo? Would 17 months post chemo be to soon for me and my wife to get pregnant?!...😅

I would for sure check with the doctor on that, but I would say yes, you have had enough time to cleanse the chemo out of your body that it shouldnt be a problem.
    Personally I would wait until the two year all clear since chances of relapse drop drastically at the 2 year point.
    Best of luck!
    2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
    2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
    3/12/18-4/1/18 Adjuvant BEPx1
    4/12/19- ONE YEAR ALL CLEAR

Comment

Hi Spence ,

My partner was diagnosed with tc when our first baby was 3 weeks old.

My partner had 1x Bep

We have since discussed having our second and had been advised by our local family doctor to wait 1 year though our oncologist at our hospital advised to wait 2 years.

We also had to get his sperm retested at the 1 year mark where we were told he was not infertile but his sperm wasnt as good as it was prior to the round of BEP. We have his 2 year check up coming up in 2 weeks and are going to ask to get another sperm test done as it can keep improving. ( we also have some stored incase we are unsuccessful naturally).

We are from Australia.

Hope this helps and good luck with it all.
      Keep us updated!

Comment

I literally asked about fertility and having kids at my last check-up , which was yesterday. My onc told me it would be preferable to wait atleast 1 year before attempting to have kids.

Comment

Hi JD ,

Did you also have any chemo. My partner and I are hoping to concieve naturally. Did Bep effect your sperm count in any way and how often does you oncologist suggest to get it tested.?

Thanks so much

Comment

Hi,

We just had a kid, two months ago!!! This is after 3XBEP, just had 2.5 years all clear.

My oncologist didn't say anything about waiting, we went ahead when we were ready...

But the sperm wasn't great after treatment so went the IVF way. It's a bit of a crazy ride, but it worked out well for us!!

By the way, we are also from Australia! We are in Melbourne, what about you, Emj?
            July 2016 - Left I/O
            December 2016 - BEPx3
            All clear for 2 years now!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
            First Oncologist Visit Checklist
            3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
            3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
            Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

That's awesome feedback Joe and congratulations on your little one. My partner has his 2 year appointment Thursday and cant help but get stressed everytime. We are in northern suburbs of Melbourne! Been a very crazy journey and we are thinking possibly may need to do ivf for our second.

Comment

Thank you, Emj!! Yes, it's not fun waiting for those appointments... Can tell you about our experience with IVF. We're in Frankston, but happy to catch up for a coffee somewhere if you're up for it!
                July 2016 - Left I/O
                December 2016 - BEPx3
                All clear for 2 years now!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
                3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
                Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Working...
                X