X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveillance but still worried

Its been 3 years and 8 months since my surgery. I elected surveillance so I've been extremely lucky to avoid chemo. Now that I'm on the tail end of all this I still get extremely worried that a late relapse will occur and everything that I've read late relapse aren't so easy to cure. I know the risk is low but its still there. Is there hope if a late relapse occurs?

Even if you had a late relapse you still pretty much have the full spectrum of treatment. But since you are 3 yrs 8 months in the clear, I would stay you are worrying a little to much about the wrong what ifs
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

I agree with eodtech, in the very unlikely event of a late relapse, you still have all the weapons available that are so successful in curing most of us, so odds of a cure even if the worst happens are quite good. But let's get real, late relapses at this point are VERY rare, don't you have more likely problems to worry about?
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

No no, I think you're getting confused.

The challenge of treating late recurrences is with cancers that have already faced the barrage of primary treatments and one or more types of chemotherapy. If a cancerous cell was merely "put to sleep" but wasn't killed completely, and then wakes up and starts growing again, you now have a cancer that's already resistant to platinum based cancer treatments, and thus very difficult to cure. This is why surgery is usually about the only way to cure a late recurrence.

For a "virgin" cancer like yours that hasn't been hit with any chemotherapy, you would have the same super high >90-95% cure rate as any other newly diagnosed testicular cancer patient, so no worries. We all live with fears like these and anxiety that it will come back, but in your case you have all the cards in your hand still, should you need them. I know that won't help curb the anxiety completely, but hopefully it will help a little.

Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
        April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
        www.stevepake.com
        Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
        My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
        C
        ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Working...
        X