X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Loss 6 months out from BEP

Hey everyone. I'm 6 months out from BEP x 3. Currently in surveillance and mainly watching one lymph node that's right around that 1 cm threshold. Just had labs last week and all are normal. Doing mostly ok other than overall anxiety about the experience and random hair loss as of late. I've seen a few posts here and there on this forum from guys stating that around 6 months out, they lost hair on their temples, beard and chest, which is exactly where mine is occurring after all growing back shortly after ending chemo. Of those threads, the general response was "chemo does weird stuff to hair. It'll come back." which seems fairly reasonable. My question is: for any of those who reported those things, did it actually come back? And/or, did any of you get your testosterone checked during that time? I was reading today that low T could cause hair loss in beard, chest and elsewhere. I plan to look into getting mine checked, but wondering what the odds are that if my T is dipping down for some reason, that it will correct itself with time. Anyway, look forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

Do you have any symptoms of low testosterone? (Low libido, difficulty performing, etc). Unless you do odds are your level is OK & this is probably just a chemo thing.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
      Do you have any symptoms of low testosterone? (Low libido, difficulty performing, etc). Unless you do odds are your level is OK & this is probably just a chemo thing.

Dave

No real symptoms regarding performance that I've noticed. No major fatigue other than that associated with having a 3.5 year old terrorizing my house.

Comment

Just a follow up here for anyone else coming across this post. Initial results indicated a low T reading of 200 ng/dL. This is the very lower limit of the reference range but it’s more than likely quite low for someone my age (33). Will meet with endocrinologist but hoping this is a momentary dip.

Comment

That is indeed quite low, hopefully, your endo "gets it" & you won't have to argue to get relief.
          Last edited by Davepet; 11-06-19, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I had hairloss (beard, temples, pubis, chest, armpits) after around 6 month after the chemo, it lasted for like 3 months and then everything grew back. Then after around 1 year post-chemo i had the exact same thing which also lasted around 3 months and then everything grew back.
            I am now 21 months post-chemo and my hair are normal since 9 months.
            I talked about these hairloss with my oncologist who just replied with "Oh really ?"
            I don't think it was T related as i was feeling fine (and still am) in every aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ysuran View Post
              I had hairloss (beard, temples, pubis, chest, armpits) after around 6 month after the chemo, it lasted for like 3 months and then everything grew back. Then after around 1 year post-chemo i had the exact same thing which also lasted around 3 months and then everything grew back.
              I am now 21 months post-chemo and my hair are normal since 9 months.
              I talked about these hairloss with my oncologist who just replied with "Oh really ?"
              I don't think it was T related as i was feeling fine (and still am) in every aspect.
              Haha your oncologist's response sounds about right. Mine was super nonchalant pretty much the entire time throughout chemo. I'm sure my case is one of the "easier" ones compared to the harder to treat cancers he also sees. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Just to keep this thread going with updates for any future guys who end up here, I had an appt with endocrinologist this morning. He agreed that my T level was definitely low but said that he thinks it might naturally go back up on its own. I am definitely noticing additional symptoms of low T such as weak/sore muscles and joints, especially in my arms, fatigue, anxiety/depression, pretty much the whole spectrum. I'm hopeful that this is a momentary dip, but endo recommended waiting a couple months and checking levels again. It's a little tough to not just demand some kind of treatment right now, but I don't want to risk shutting off my own production of T by jumping to TRT if there's a chance it could swing back up on its own.

Comment

I would request testing a bit sooner. Low testosterone is more serious than low libido & fatigue type symptoms. More serious are cardiovascular & bone density problems. Best I Recall, chemo does not affect T production so I assume you may have been low for 7-8 months since your I/O. With low numbers AND symptoms, I'd be looking to start treatment sooner rather than later, you can always stop treatment if you want to see if your remaining guy can get back into production. The reason he stops producing isn't because of a permanent change due to TRT, it's just that the feedback mechanism is telling him there's enough testosterone in the blood so no more is needed. Normally, stopping TRT will start normal production back up (if he is able to). My best guess is he simply is not if he hasn't stepped up by now.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X