• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffw1
    • Jan 2008

long term fatigue after BEP questions

Hi all,
    It's been awhile since I've posted - just had a quick question for guys who have gone through 3 cycles of BEP - is it possible to still be dealing with major fatigue almost a year after I finished my treatment?

I work in the arts and am freelance and I just finished a 5 month job where I was really burning the candle at both ends, but I have been off about 1 month and I just feel crappy - weak, no matter how much sleep I get it is never enough, and sometimes light headed. It just always feels like something is not quite right with my energy levels.

I have another check up (CT scan, blood and xray) in a few weeks, so I will ask my doctor.

Of course I am trying not to think my fatigue may be caused by a recurrence (I was stage 1b non-seminoma with some vascular invasion). I'm just wondering if any one out there has dealt with heavy fatigue this late in the game and secondly if anyone found a solution that helped. I have even been taken Lance's FRS which helps a little but not much.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - this forum is a life saver and the guys who take the time to run it and moderate it are truly saints.

Thanks a lot,
    j
    Diagnosed 1.16.08
    Stage 1 T2 with vascular invasion, 4.5 cm tumor
    Cell type:
    79 percent embryonal carcenoma, 20 percent seminoma, 1 percent yoke sac tumor
    Left I/O 1.22.08
    3 rounds BEP finished 4.15.08
    CT scan, Chest Xray clear, AFP 4.2, All Clear 4.28.08
  • grndog
    • Jul 2008

Hi Jeff,

Paul has said the same thing almost a year and a half post chemo.
    I chalk it up to him being 44 when he started chemo and figured he's not going to bounce
    back as quickly as a guy who has the same treatment in his twenties or even thirties. I didn't notice that you posted your age so I'm not sure if this would apply to you. It may be a good idea to have your testosterone checked, low levels can definitely cause fatigue. Take a look at the testosterone challenges forum it will help you with some questions to ask your doctor. Congratulations on the all clear. I absolutely believe the symptoms will get better, you guys have been through alot stay strong.

Mary
    Husband Paul Dx 6-8-07 Stage I 70%Ec 30%Sem
    6-15 R- I/O
    7-21-07 CT showed spread to abdomen chest Stage IIIA
    3xBEP
    Possible tox switched to 4 EP
    Complete initial response
    severe neuropathy
    9-17-08 All Clear

Comment

• jeffw1
      • Jan 2008

Thanks Mary. While I find comfort in knowing this may be a normal part of the recovery process (and good call - I am in my late thirties) I extend my sympathies that Paul is still dealing with it. I read a very recent study that "chemo brain", which can contribute to fatigue, can last up to three years but the good news is the study compared MRI brains scans of chemo patients at various stages after treatment, and while all showed that chemo changes the structure of the brain (hence the "chemo brain" effects, they suspect), in all the test subjects the brain returned to normal by the three year mark. So hopefully this is just something the body/mind can eventually heal from.

I remind myself that I am lucky to be around to deal with the fatigue - but as I am sure you are aware it's not easy.

Thanks again - tell Paul to hang in there,
      jeff
      Diagnosed 1.16.08
      Cell type:
      Left I/O 1.22.08

Comment

• shaunyboi69
        • Apr 2009

Fatgue

I also suffer from the occasional drops in energy levels and it frustrates me coz i dont want to go to the gym because i get so burnt out for some reason. Its been a year since 3xBEP and I always think it dats stuff what made me like i am now.

I had blood tests to rule out low energy levels but al my blood tests were fine. I dont get major fatigue but i do get quite fatigued as if i want to just stay in and cant be ased to go the local shop.

Feel your pain but there will be times when you will get your energy levels back coz aprently. Btw I am 19 and that is not a good age to be down in energy.

Comment

• jeffw1
          • Jan 2008

Hang in there man! Yeah 19 is a rough age to be dealing with this whole thing period. It seems like eating right and exercise are all you can do. Thanks for response!
          Diagnosed 1.16.08
          Cell type:
          Left I/O 1.22.08

Comment

• jgsmith
            • May 2008

I was fatigued for at least 4 months post chemo, but I am back to normal now. This may sound crazy, but the fact that you think about it alot may worsen your fatigue. I use to obssesively think about recurrence and cancer after my treatment, it was a hard time and it took me along time to get back to normal. I found that taking ativan helped out alot. Also try being active and excercising, I find that excercise gives me ALOT of energy. I know it is easier said than done, but the faster you that you are mentally able to move on, the faster you will probably feel better.
            Primary Mediastinal Nonseminoma germ cell tumor
            Diagnosed-Ocotber 07. Mass 8x7 c.m.
            AFP-12,000, HCG-Normal, LDH-Normal
            4 BEP Finished Dec 21st 07
            Surgery March 3rd 08
            Path of residual mass-necrotic tissue, negative stain for afp, no viable yolk sak cells
            AFP- 9, HCG- Normal, LDH- Normal
            Since March 3rd-Surveillance
            All ct scans have been clear and AFP has been stable at 9

Comment

• phlogistic
              • Jan 2009

@jeffw1:

Hows the diet versus the fatigue? U taking vitamins? Fruit? Veggies?

I started juicing again post treatment. I think it helps with the fatigue...basically didnt eat anything like that (raw fruits and veggies) during treatment.
              Relapsed Seminoma; Completed BEPx3

Historical blog @ http://seminoma.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X