Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Pain?

I had a Left RO 6 months ago.

From a couple of months afterwards I have had a dull ache that side (almost like I had when the Cancer was there). It almost feels like it's where they tied the tubes up or something!? It seems to be worse after sex.

Mentioned it to my Oncologist who had no idea and suggested I go back to my GP who will refer me back to my Urologist.

Any suggestions?

For a few months after my '96 IO, I had an almost constant ache in the region of where the spermatic chord was severed - effectively a stump. When I mentioned it to my rad. oncologist, she palpated the area, nicknamed me "stumpie" (she had a great sense of humor), and reassured me that it would pass in time, which it did. Mention it to your urologist.
    TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
    TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Will do. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aegletes View Post
        ...nicknamed me "stumpie"...
        Did you really want that to get out, Stumpie?
        Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

She had worked previously at Walter Reed, was used to working with guys in the armed forces, and had a very earthy sense of humor. One of the very best doctors I've ever had. I actually laughed out loud when she said, after feeling around down there, "Well, we'll just have to call you stumpie."
          TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
          TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

I still get the odd twinge as if my prosthetic were a real one. I don't know if it's phantom pains or just the positioning of the prosthetic. Weird.
            100% classical seminoma (I-A, RTI). Surveillance (no adjuvant therapy). 4 years all-clear and hoping for many more.

Comment

i had periodic pain for around a year similar to what you describe. It went away. I will have the odd ache but thats all

Comment

I also had the phantom pains after surgery. My girlfriend laughed when I told her that, but it's real. I also have this odd pain in my abdomen, almost feels like there is a weird string like connection under the skin going upwards into my stomach. Maybe its a stumpy. Going to ask the Urologist about it next time I see her.

I did not realize that many guys got the prosthetic since insurance chooses not to cover it. Glad to hear I am not alone in that department. Although some days I wonder if I should have gone without because it seems like it sits too high and sticks out too far. But hoping that does away with the swelling. Also hoping the occasional pain where the stitch is at goes completely away also. Just gets annoying at times when you have to watch how you move.

Joe
                R Testicle Notice Enlarged 2-30-09
                GP 3-2-09 (given Cipro for infection)
                Urologist 3-18-09
                Ultrasound 3-23-09
                Diagnosed 3-25-09 (5 cm mass on ultrasound)
                CT and Chest X-Ray Negative
                AFP-normal, LDH-Normal, BHCG-16
                R I/O 4-8-09
                Pure Seminoma 5.9 x 5.4 cm with vascular involvement
                Post I/O labs normal
                Adjuvant Carbo X2- first dose given 5-15-09
                "Next Carbo 6-5-09"

Comment

Hey Joe,

Gues your op was not that long ago, it took a bit over 4 months for my prosthetic's to settle down. The docs did reakon that you needed to massage them downwards, did that but not sure it it really ndid much as one week noticed they were just fine.

For the initial question about phantom pain, yip had that after #1 and lasted off and on for that 7 years until #2 last year and then stopped. Yeah, it used to play up after sex too.

Cheers

Kiwi
                  >>>>>>>>>
                  TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
                  TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Good to know phantom pain is real

I had phantom pain too... I told friends and had a laugh about it, but it's good to know it's real. I had it so rare, and it felt like my fake testicle was real and had been lightly flicked... it's just reposition and the pain would go away in a few minutes. I actually kind of liked it... made the fake one seem more real, haha.

Kyle
                    Work: Executive Mgr of Software Firm in Blacksburg, VA
                    Top Hobby: Manager/Coach of Virginia Tech's Club Soccer Team

Cancer:
                    Diagnosed at the very end of Sept. 2008
                    Stage III Non-seminoma which spread to lungs
                    Orchiectomy on Oct. 1, 2008
                    Mixed germ cell tumor:
                    > 90% Choriocarcinoma, monophasic
                    < 10% Teratoma, mature

Started Chemo Monday, Oct. 27, 2008

Comment

Hello... İ want to ask How is Your phantom pains after years... Please post Your answers.....

Comment

Working...
                      X