Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone Implants in the US?

Hello everyone!

I have recently decided to inquire about getting a testicular implant. After some reading on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that getting a silicone implant (specifically, the Soft Solid Implant) would be a better choice than other silicone implants or the saline-filled implant, because it has a more natural shape and feeling to it. I have recently had a few appointments with my urologist, and he says that Mentor does not offer the soft-solid implants, so he is trying to get in contact with Coloplast or any other implant manufacturers. After some further research, I am not even sure that silicone testicle implants are available in the US. I already asked in a previous topic of mine, but wanted to make a topic specifically for this question to be sure

http://www.nycryo.com/practice/servi...lar-prosthesis
    -in this website under "Types of Implants current available" (in blue) it says that the soft-solid silicone implants are not available in the US. I'm not sure how outdated this website is.

http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8648
    -in this thread, user "iron" states that the FDA has not approved the soft-solid implants. This is a couple months back, maybe things have changed?

I'm not even sure if I would get the implant if I can't get the soft-solid implant since people have been complaining about the other types, and i would like an implant that would look as natural as possible. Maybe I would wait until they are available, maybe I would just get another type of implant, maybe I would go to another country to get the surgery... I'm really not sure. Any information, stories, experiences, or ideas would be great. Thanks for reading!!!

Edit- After some more research, I have seen a few posts by user "JamesC" saying that he has gotten a soft-solid silicone implant from AART in Nevada (for example, in this topic http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/showt...ht=nevada+aart)

Assuming they really do offer these, would I have to fly over their for the operation or could my hospital simply order and receive the implants?
    Last edited by hajann9; 07-11-09, 04:13 PM.

Hey Mate

I did not think that the US had approved Silicon but if they did that would give you guys other options.

Some other reading for you http://www.promedon.com/promedon/ind.../title,cancer/ This is where mine come from (a low hardness silicon variety), the shape is like a normal one and they come in different sizes. They do feal firmer in that the one I tried out before the op. Anyway they fill the empty space!

Cheers

Kiwi
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-11-09, 09:19 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>
    TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
    TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

What I don't understand is how JamesC was able to get the silicone implants from AART if it is not allowed in the US...

Kiwi, thanks for the link, so you say those are good in terms of size and everything, but just a little bit too firm? And like I just said, would I be able to get these in the US?

Comment

Hey Mate

Really not sure on the availability of silicon in the US, I thought it was no but as you found there is one member that got them.

Firmness - Fairly sure they are firmer than the real guys but pre getting them I did not rellay squeeze the real ones that often and getting both at once I canot compare either. I have not had any problems though.

Someone else may be able to comment on a different type.

Cheers

Kiwi
        >>>>>>>>>
        TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Hmm, I guess there are no silicone implants available in the US... I guess my next option is to try to get the operation done in another country. Does anybody know if Canada offers the silicone semi solid implants?

Comment

AART implants in U.S

I had one put in last summer. AART is located in Nevada, Reno I believe. I looked them up online, talked to them. They were very helpful. I gave the information to my urologist and he had the hospital order it. It is oval and harder than a real one. He did not suture it down and encouraged me to pull it down daily. It's all worked out fine.
            Dave

Comment

Dave, thank you so much for the reply!

I have a few questions-

-was yours a semi-solid silicone implant? If not, how is it different?
              -how are they available in Nevada if silicone implants have not been approved by the FDA in the US?
              -you say that it is firmer than a real testicle; is it much firmer than a real testicle to the point that I should look at the option of getting the operation done in Canada? Is it firmer than a saline-filled implant?
              -other than being too firm, were you otherwise satisfied with the prosthetic testicle, like thet size? I have a rather large testicle since my other testicle never developed, so would I have a range of sizes to chose from?
              -I do not know much about AART, can I get the contact information for all of this on their website?

Sorry for asking so many quesitons, I just want to make sure that I know as much about this as possible. Thanks for reading!

Comment

Silicon implant

I did a fair amount of research on this last year. As of then, Mentor (who makes the saline filled implants) had been working on what they called a Soft/Solid but had run into problems with the FDA and sold the rights to it to another company that was not yet ready to proceed with trials. It had an outer shell and was filled with a gel that could hold its shape and not turn to liquid and (I think) had a hollow center. It sounded ideal.

The saline implants are filled by the surgeon using what I recall to have been a standard syringe/needle combo and it's unclear to me why they could not be filled less tightly and thus be softer. However, excessive firmness was a complaint and there was also the concern that they might deflate. I was not able to determine whether they could be reinflated without removal.

The AART implant has a firmness perhaps comparable to styrofoan pellets used for shipping. They are available in a range of sizes. Their web site has contact information and, as I mentioned earlier, the person on the phone was very nice and very helpful. She e-mailed me some specs that were not particularly clear. At this point, I gave the information to the surgeon and let him pick the size, with which I am content. I would have liked to have felt a sample prior to surgery but that was not easy to arrange. The implant was shipped to the hospital in just several days.

For the record, I am one of the fortunate ones in that although my testis was suspicious for neoplasm, the pathology report was negative and the changes were due to trauma (Long nasty story).

I'm glad to answer any other questions, either on the forum or by PM.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave- I PMd you with a few more questions. I will make sure to give you guys an update with my situation.

Comment

Hello again,

I've had another two appointments with my urologist and I will be having my surgery in about 2 weeks. I ordered the AART testicles, and they are even softer than a normal testicle, so I am happy about that. I still have two concerns, maybe you guys will be able to help me.

1.My normal testicle is about 6.25 by 3.75 centimeters, while the implant will be 5 by 3.5 centimeters. Do you guys think that I should get a customized testicle that is closer to my testicle, or is 1.25 centimeters in length not that big of a difference? The thing is, since I never had a right testicle, the right side of my scrotum is not stretched at all, so it would probably be a bit too tight anyway, so maybe smaller is better. I'm thinking I could stay with this implant until my scrotum stretches in a few months or years, and then get another surgery with a testicle that matches mine in size.

So would the smaller implant be noticable and look odd?

2. About the unstretched scrotum that I just mentioned, will it eventually stretch out? My doctor mentioned to me that since I never had a testicle to stretch the right side out, it will hang much higher than my left testicle. People that have had to remove a testicle may not experience this dillema because their scortum has been stretched their whole life, but will mine, after 20 years or not having a right testicle?

Comment

1. Given the circumstances, smaller sounds better. Rarely are they the same size anyway, so it should not be noticeable except, perhaps, under very careful scrutiny :-)
                      2. You may be able to stretch the skin of the scrotum over time.

Comment

I would not worry about the size mate, it won't make a lot of difference, the scrotum is not too tight fitting any way.

Cheers

Kiwi
                        >>>>>>>>>

Comment

Hello again everybody,
                          I will be having my operation tomorrow morning! I am so excited... I don't know if I am being too superficial or putting too much importance on something like this or whatever you may call it, but I think that I will have more confidence knowing that I will be more "normal" down there. I have always worried about my partner finding out and telling everybody, thankfully this hasn't happened. Well, I don't want to get my hopes up, but hopefully everything goes well. I am still worried that the prosthetic may look unattural since it is 1.25 centimeters shorter in length and that the right side of my sack won't hang nearly as low as the left side, but maybe time and gravity will fix this. I will keep you guys updated.

-Hajann9

Comment

Hope all goes well.

I know what you are thinking about the new boys.

Cheers

Kiwi
                            >>>>>>>>>

Comment

Got done with the surgery a few hours ago, doc said everything went well. The right side of my pubic area hurts a fair amount, so I just took some hydrocodone, hopefully it will help. Lying down minimizes the pain the most, so I will sleep it off until I wake up.

I have a concern that I just noticed though. I went to pee and noticed that my penis is a very dark shade. Is it possible that the bloodflow to my penis was cut off or something? Will it go back to the normal color?

Comment

Working...
                              X