X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex During Chemotherapy Treatment and Beyond

We're all guys here, and I'm sure some of us have been in relationships during chemotherapy treatment. What is the discipline of sex during chemotherapy? I've heard both sides, one saying not a good idea and another saying its actually helpful. Does sex present any risks for our partners in regards to the medications used for treatment?

And when treatment is done, how long should one wait to return to their sex lives?
    Diagnosed March 8th 2010 (my mother's birthday :\)
    Left I/O March 9th 2010
    AFP: 17, other markers: Normal, CT Scan: Clear.
    Stage 1-S Non-seminoma: 80% Embyonal, 20% Yolk Sac
    4xEP: April 19th - July 2nd
    August 20th 2010: AFP: 5.5, all markers: Normal. CT Scan: Scheduled.

All Clear.

I can't vouche for the medical implications on yourself, but I was told that chemo can be transmitted through semen. It was not recommended, but if it happened it was best to wear protection (Latex only) to prevent fluid transfer.

As for when it is safe to go with out said protection (which if you are not in a long term monogamous relationship you shouldn't anyways) I can't give you any time frame- probably a few weeks.

I am no physician so I would talk to your doctor about this to be clear and safe.

John
    sigpic
    Diagnosed 4/17/08
    Right orchiectomy 4/18/08
    Pure choriocarcinoma; HCG 715,000; lungs, lymphnodes, liver, and random other places
    4X VIP chemo at IU with Dr. Einhorn 4/25/08-7/4/08
    HCG down to 7.2 10/28/08
    HCG back up to 198 12/29/08
    1 X PVB 1/2/09-1/6/09
    2 X HDC w/ stem cell rescue 2/4/09-3/14/09
    Follow-up with Dr. Einhorn 4/22/09
    HCG 1.2
    3 rounds, 21 days, twice daily, VP-16 50mg 4/24/09-7/10/09

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johncovell

Comment

Hi Lithium.

My wife and I stayed away from sexual intercourse during my chemo cycles. My oncologist did not say that we could not have sex, just to be careful if not wearinmg protection. To be on the safe side, we refrained from intercourse.

However, I must also state that I never once felt the urge for sex whilst under chemo. BEP seemed to zap my sex drive and coupled with the fact that I lost all my hair and in general I felt unattractive, sex was never an issue.

But, once chemo was over and my health returned so did normal relations with my wife.
      Diagnosed 5th June 2009
      Stage III TC with mets in abdomen and lungs
      No tumor markers
      Righ I/O 17th June 2009
      Married Janet 27th June
      July 3rd began 3x BEP
      September 3rd CT scan....clear!
      October 20th: Chest xray clear, no markers
      December 21st second CT scan....clear!
      June 29th CT scan...clear.

Comment

My son was told to be very careful in his relationship because traces of his chemo will be present in his semen. Please make sure you wear protection.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

I'm not a guy but, my husband and I had sex during chemo. He did wear protection mainly b/c we found out we were pregnant and we didn't want to harm the fetus. No one could give us a good answer on how long you should wear protection for after the chemo and there were no studies that I could find relaying a good answer to this question.

The whole chemo is transmitted in your semen seems a little bit over the top to me. If you think about how much residual chemo would be in the semen, it seems very minute. However, there probably is trace amounts.
          MY husband:
          1/15/2010 - diagnosed with testicular mass (2.5x2cm): 2cmx2cm para-aortic lymph node on CT scan (no other abnormalities)
          1/19/10 - R I/O
          1/21/10 - path results back Embryonal carcinoma 95%, teratoma 2%, seminoma 2%, and yolk sac tumor 1%
          2/1/10-end of March - 3xBEP
          4/7/10 - CT chest/abd/pelvis - lymph node normal, no new masses
          all of 2011- all labs and imaging normal
          --> still on surveillance

Comment

Re:

I was told that it was safe to have sex and though there could be implications conceiving a child with sperm which came from a guy who has just received chemotherapy. So I am to use a condom for a year after I've finished chemotherapy. In saying this I have heard other people say it could cause the female problems if we men who are just finished chemotherapy continue to have unprotected sex. I'd be grateful if someone could clarify this?

My sex drive completely dried up after my orchiectomy. I was having no feelings for the opposite sex whatsoever. As a 27 year old male this felt very weird. Thankfully this returned to normal in about 5 weeks. Chemotherapy hasn't killed off my male urges. Ive just finished my 2nd cycle and start my third on Sunday. Chemo really does affect different people in different ways from what I am reading.
            Diagnosis: Teratoma.
            Treatment:Left I/O 28th January 2010. Belfast City Hospital
            Surveillance: 11th June 2010 -.
            Complications: Neutropaenic cycles 1. I/V antibiotics and isolation.
            All clear so far

Comment

We were told that trace amounts of chemo were in ALL body fluids, and that I should avoid contact with not just semen, but urine, blood, vomit, everything, during chemo. So, we were told that as long as we used a condom, I would be fine. Of course, he didn't want to have sex during chemo because all he wanted to do was eat mashed potatoes and sleep. We were told that as soon as food tasted normal to him, that the chemo was mostly out of his fluids, because it was no longer being secreted in his saliva. So, that was about two weeks after chemo? He didn't feel like having sex until about a month after chemo was over.
              Kat
              sigpic_______________________________________________
              Caregiver
              DX 5/15/09
              Left orchiectomy 5/22/09
              60% embryonal, 40% seminoma, w/ VI, LI, T2 (CS-IB)
              CTs clear, X-rays clear, blood markers normal
              L-RPLND 7/14/09, San Antonio
              3 nodes positive, 100% embryonal, N1 (PS-IIA)
              2 rounds BEP August 24, 2009, Austin
              Enlarged lymph nodes Oct 09, Dec 09, Jan 10, Apr 10
              All clear 10/01/10

Comment

Originally posted by Kat View Post
                avoid contact with not just semen, but urine, blood, vomit, everything
                Damn! There goes all my fetishes!
                Seminoma / Embryonal Carcinoma Stage 1 >> 6th Mar 2010: Lump Discovered >> 9th Mar 2010: Ultrasound >> 20th Mar 2010: Left IO >> 26th Mar 2010: Clear CT >> Now on active surveillance, last all clear : 13th Sept 2010

Comment

Also keep in mind that your immune system is suppressed during chemo and if you were to contract an STD you would be in trouble. Play it safe and use protection.
                  If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan
                  If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. ~ Bruce Lee
                  Please sponsor me for the 2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge Philadelphia.
                  My Blog

Diagonosed 1988. Left I/O - 3 rounds of chemo
                  Relasped 1989. RPLND - 3 rounds HDC - Bone Marrow transplant.
                  There is Army Strong, There is Live Strong and then there is me. Crazy Strong

Comment

Originally posted by base615 View Post
                    Damn! There goes all my fetishes!
                    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully you've developed a smooth-skin fetish to replace the others for the time being.....
                    Kat
                    sigpic_______________________________________________
                    Caregiver
                    DX 5/15/09
                    Left orchiectomy 5/22/09
                    60% embryonal, 40% seminoma, w/ VI, LI, T2 (CS-IB)
                    CTs clear, X-rays clear, blood markers normal
                    L-RPLND 7/14/09, San Antonio
                    3 nodes positive, 100% embryonal, N1 (PS-IIA)
                    2 rounds BEP August 24, 2009, Austin
                    Enlarged lymph nodes Oct 09, Dec 09, Jan 10, Apr 10
                    All clear 10/01/10

Comment

Working...
                    X