Testicle removed but good testosterone levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyjee86
    • Mar 2011

Testicle removed but good testosterone levels?

Hi all. Just for abit of balance on this subject, would it be possible for anyone who's had a testicle removed but managed to keep a normal level of testosterone and subsequently had no issues with fatigue/weight/libido/depression etc to give their opinion? Or has anyone been told they had low testosterone but gone on to live life well and normal? Post removal of mine I was anxious about it, but told by the urologists and docs that testosterone would certainly not be an issue and my remaining testicle would pick up the slack etc... So I've not really thought about it since, as I try to have faith in the docs. But reading all these posts is making me question myself abit. After chemo I lost about a stone and a half, but I did become massively hooked on exercise, I don't feel depressed, but sometimes feel abit fatigued... But it doesn't stop me working out, and I have usually put my fatigue down to over doing it with the exercise. My sex drive is pretty non-existent though, I can keep it up once going but the thought of sex with my girlfriend just doesn't interest me and I dread it to be honest, I'd much rather just sleep. I obviously feel awful for this, but have never had my testosterone measured, so don't have anything to compare it with. I am considering bringing this up at my next appointment but worried that I'll not be taken seriously. Has anyone here had no problems with testosterone following a testicle removal and carried on with no issues? I hope my symptoms aren't enough to suggest dangerously low T as in general I feel pretty good in myself as before cancer I was quite anxious and depressed, but considering everything I went through I generally feel well mentally, but the low sex drive and tiredness is making me wonder. Sorry for long post, any thoughts appreciated.
  • Kiwi
    • Jul 2008

Mate - Tes the one boy should keep you in the normal range, what you are describing could be a number of things, low testosterone is described here http://www.andrologyaustralia.org/re...s/teststerone/ have a chat to you docs they can test for a range of things.

Cheers

Kiwi
    >>>>>>>>>
    TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
    TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

• nickohs
      • Jun 2004

Hi Andy,

I lost both 24 years back so was a slam dunk for replacement Testosterone, however I was still made to wait 8 weeks before getting it.
      I first ran into the assertion that the remaining testicle would take up the slack on ACOR's TCRC TCNET, another support group in about 1996. In truth I made myself unpopular for a number of years with my insistence that 1, Testosterone is important to the male and 2, that the presumption that the other testicle would take up the slack is completely erroneous as it could not possibly always be the case.

It has moved from there over the past fifteen years so that in many cases, Testosterone levels are checked and if necessary TRT prescribed. However, this is not reflected throughout the medical community and a significant number of doctors have not kept up with the times. As a result, it is not only guys with a single testicle that can't make up the slack who are given incorrect information, it is a whole sub-section of apparently normal males who are depressed, moody, lethargic, unable to tone up, have low sex drive are anxious and fatigue easily, who could be restored by appropriate testing and treatment, Not all symptoms apply because we all differ and the levels at which we experience symptoms also differ and I have seen that as a reason to do nothing. It is nonsense of course because the effects of ignoring low Testosterone are long term ill health and a miserable life on the way.

The test results normally provide the answer one way or another, so it is wise to have the following done in order they can be interpreted correctly and appropriate advice given.

Serum Testosterone, LH FSH and Prolactin.
      Although not comprehensive those tests will establish how your body's Testosterone demand compares with the response from the testicle.
      That interpreting skill exists on this forum and is freely available.

Your symptoms could easily be low Testosterone related but not necessarily so. It makes sense therefore to rule it in or out early while on the quest to get back your life.

Post your results and I or another with the skills will interpret them for you.

best wishes

Nick
      Publisher/Editor
      The Testosterone Deficiency Centre
      www.androids.org.uk

Associate Editor
      The Testicular Cancer Resource Center
      tcrc.acor.org

Director and writer
      A Ball Dropped
      https://vimeo.com/70509556

Comment

• andyjee86
        • Mar 2011

Thanks Nick, that's really kind and helpful. Being from the UK it will be interesting to see if the NHS will actually put me through the tests if I ask for them, especially if the consultant insists that low testosterone shouldn't be a problem. I suppose I'm also a little worried that if I find out I have low T I may let it affect me more than it should, as like I say - I feel pretty good except for lack of sex drive/occassional fatigue, but if any1 can let me know if they had a testosterone reading post orchiectomy and the results weren't 'that bad', I'd feel less anxious about pushing for the test, so if there's anyone reading who feels just as good as before I'd love to hear, though I understand being in a thread called 'Testosterone Challenges' it's unlikely. Thanks again.

Comment

• nickohs
          • Jun 2004

No problem Andy,

Actually one of the successes in this saga has been the publication of new guidelines by the NHS concerning this issue, but masked under the sexual dysfunction tag. You can download them off my site at www.androids.org.uk. Click on the guidelines tab and download the UK guidelines. The European Urologists' guidelines are also relevant and very similar in approach.

I do of course know many guys who have had TC once and been perfectly fine afterwards in terms of Testosterone production. As you suggest though this may not be the place to ask. Try asking on one of the other sections of the site..

all the best

Nick
          Publisher/Editor
          The Testosterone Deficiency Centre
          www.androids.org.uk

Associate Editor
          The Testicular Cancer Resource Center
          tcrc.acor.org

Director and writer
          A Ball Dropped
          https://vimeo.com/70509556

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by andyjee86 View Post
            if any1 can let me know if they had a testosterone reading post orchiectomy and the results weren't 'that bad', I'd feel less anxious about pushing for the test, so if there's anyone reading who feels just as good as before I'd love to hear, .
            Well I had my first testicle removed at age 20 & spent the next 35 years of my life without problems. Never had it tested, but no problems with libido, no fatigue, none of the other problems associated with low testosterone. So yes not everyone has problems, I expect that a majority of men do not, but that does not mean you are not, so ask for the test. If your NHS won't pay for it, consider paying for it your self, the test is the only way to know for sure if there is a problem.

Dave
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• steveb_uk
              • Feb 2012

Hi Andy,

I'm from the UK, and since my right I/O 4 weeks ago, I've found myself without much energy, no sex drive and getting tired very quickly. Up to now I'd just put it down to recovery from the op, but I too am beginning to wonder.

Very interestingly for me, I went to the GP almost a year ago with a reduced sex drive but with no other symptoms, and they gave me a testosterone blood test. I also said that my right testicle felt very slightly enlarged....the GP couldn't find a lump and nor could I. So, my thinking at the moment is that perhaps I've been borderline on T level for a number of years, and now I've lost my right testicle its just pushed me over the edge.

I count myself very lucky that I do have a "baseline" T test to go on. Only yesterday I thought I'd get the actual numbers from the G.P, they were 25.1 (9-29) for Serum T and 47 (15-55) for SHBG. This gave a free androgen index (this is a ratio of Serum T to SHBG I think) of 53.4 (25-90).

Anyway enough about me. What I wanted to say primarily is that I didn't have much problem in getting the GP to give me a T test without any referral to consultants, they just took the blood there and then. I just presented with a very low sex drive, so I don't think it can hurt to go along to the G.P and see what they say.

I will now be doing the same next week to see if I can get a retest, and I'll doubt I'll say much about the missing testicle and just concentrate on the low sex drive again.

I'm going to mention LH and FSH, but if I don't get anywhere with those two I'll wait and see what the serum T and SHBG come back as.

Do let us know how you get on,

Steve
              Jan 2012 suspicious lump detected, AFP 4, HCG 3, LDH 207 (UL 192)
              Feb 2012 Seminoma, 5cm x 4cm, no LVI/RTI, pT1, Stage 1A, Surveillance, joined TRISST
              Mar 2013 (1 year) relapse, Stage 2B, 2x Nodes 2.1 and 2.3cm (iliac and para-aortic)
              Apr 2013 Carboplatin AUC10 x 3 cycles (Phase 2 trial), complete
              Jun 2013, nodes down to 5mm, back on surveillance
              ​Jun 2014, 1 yr post chemo CT Scan, all clear
              Jun 2015, 2 yr post chemo CT Scan, all clear
              Jun 2019 6 years all clear

Comment

• mpbro
                • Jul 2010

Steve,

I had some symptoms of low T for over a year before surgery. The tumor was definitely in place and growing, as it had been uncomfortable for most of that time. (A GP brushed off my worries about 8 months before diagnosis).

After surgery, the low T symptoms were definitely exacerbated. TRT has been a big help for me.

Morgan
                7/2010: stage 1B mixed NSGCT. Left I/O + 1X BEP. TRT (pellets). All clear as of 8/2012

Comment

• andyjee86
                  • Mar 2011

Dave, thanks for giving me hope. Steve, thanks for your advice - if my consultant doesn't help at my next checkup in May I'll just go to the GP with low sex drive. mpbro, that sucks about you being brushed off. Same happened to me, I went with sore/hard nipples a year before diagnosis and got brushed off - absolutely ridiculous. Cheers guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X