X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Testosterone Replacement

My doctor wants to put me on a patch to increase my t levels. I just had lung surgery last week. My normal level has been around 800. It is now at 261. My bhcg was 2.1 this week, which has always been less than 0.5, and he thinks this slight increase is due to low t. So, he wants to fix it. My t has been low before but it has recovered. I don't want to interfere with my body's natural ability to produce t. So, I'm hesitant to start even though this is temporary. My question is if I use the patch for a week or so, would this have an impact? How long do I need to be on testosterone replacement before I lose the natural production? Thank you for your help!
    Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
    Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma, IVC Filter
    4*BEP AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
    May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
    Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
    April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI
    4xTIP - almost normal AFP, but started rising again
    2 x HDC with Autologous Stem Cell Transplant - AFP almost normal but started rising again
    Lost kidneys, damaged liver, chirhosis, ascites 2 liters per day, dialysis 3 times per week, disabled
    2 Lung Wedge Resections -

Most guys that start TRT are unable to prodce normal levels on their own, & need to stay on it for life. If I recall correctly, even with long term use of testosterone supplementation that causes a reduction in natural T production, that the natural production resumes once the supplementation ends., assuming the guy is still capable. I could be wrong, but i do not believe T therapy will permanently cause you to not be able to produce normal T levels, but everything you have been through may have done so already.

I would go ahead & do as your doc says & hope for the best down the road. Making sure your cancer is gone is the most important thing right now. Worry about natural T levels later.

Dave
    Last edited by Davepet; 06-28-14, 11:56 PM.
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Dave you have a way with putting things I could never do. Me I am an in your face tell it like it is type guy. But you are spot on
      Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
      Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
      Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
      Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
      April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
      May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
      August 7th 2012- BEP complete
      April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
      May 2013 RPLND
      Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
      Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
      Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
      Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
      Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
      Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Hey mate, my understanding is the same in that the Natural T production can be suppressed when you go on T replacement and that it would kick in if the T was stopped. You might need to ask the question:
        1 = am I going to use T replacement because my T is low or?
        2 = am I going to use T replacement to treat the Low T symptoms that I have?

If you don't have low T symptoms why treat it - remember the "normal": T range is fairly wide and we are all different, but then my perception of normal is very different once I got on the T, Looking back I believe that my T had dipped at least a couple of years before my seconds TC come along. It had not occurred to me that my T was low.

The main things were:
        Tiredness
        night sweats
        lack of stamina
        they was at times some lack of concentration
        and I was approaching the anxiety stage
        Also gained weight around the middle which I could not drop - a low T thing too.
        >>>>>>>>>
        TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
        TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Guys, thanks for the good advice. I wasn't able to think clearly and you helped me to move on.
          Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
          Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma, IVC Filter
          4*BEP AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
          May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
          Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
          April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI
          4xTIP - almost normal AFP, but started rising again
          2 x HDC with Autologous Stem Cell Transplant - AFP almost normal but started rising again
          Lost kidneys, damaged liver, chirhosis, ascites 2 liters per day, dialysis 3 times per week, disabled
          2 Lung Wedge Resections -

Comment

Originally posted by Tarc79 View Post
            ..... I wasn't able to think clearly ....
            A low T symptom
            >>>>>>>>>
            TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
            TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Working...
            X