Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eodtech2001
    • Feb 2012

My insurance wont cover long term shot or pellets. T1sthey wont even consider the derm patch because i live in florida.
    So i do 10 day intervals of injections. They reduced my dosage because my blood was way to thick. Anything under 17 is the normal/safe range. Mine was hovering around 20 to 21 so they backed off on the dosage by 1 injection less a month. So like i said half a vial every 10days versus half a vial every week. So now im in the 14 range of the blood thicking scale.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• Davepet
      • Mar 2010

I haven't heard many positive reports about pellets or patches & I will not even try them because of that.

I found Androgel worked better than Testim by far, & no nasty smell.The generic versions of Androgel work as well as the original, possibly too well, my numbers were consistently high enough over range to concern my doc.I felt fine though & had no problems.

So far no problems on the shots every 3 weeks.

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• roybatty
        • Feb 2013

"So far no problems on the shots every 3 weeks"

I would be surprised if you don't have some eventually at that interval. I did, but it took a while for them to manifest.
        "More human than human is our motto...."

Comment

• Davepet
          • Mar 2010

What should I be looking out for?

Comment

• Bskiballin3
            • Oct 2014

After a year and a half of hot flashes and night sweats with my Test numbers being just a smidge above what is considered "normal" I am finally being treated for low T. My doctors just kept telling me that I was in the normal range when it would be about 305 on a scale of 300-900. I finally told them I couldn't stand it anymore and I showed them a picture of my mattress where I was sweating through the sheets and staining it so they tested it again and I cam back at 276 on that same scale and now they decide to treat it. I wanted to say WELL DUH! I have to give one more test in the morning just to confirm for insurance purposes and I told him that I would like to try the gel first and see how that goes. Cost is also going to be a factor so If I go to pick it up and its way more than I can afford I will just have to do the shots. I just wanted to post here so that I can have some dialogue incase I indeed have to do the shots and need some tips. Thanks .
            Left R/O on 10-9-14. Ct scans all clear.
            Pure Seminoma stage 1a. no vascular invasion.
            surveillance started, with chest x-ray 12-3 , blood work 1-22-14.

Comment

• Davepet
              • Mar 2010

Many docs seem to shy away from prescribing TRT, probably due to all the athletic abuse. I think it's malpractice not to when a young guy has numbers at the low end of the range,and has several low T symptoms. That range covers everything from puberty to old age.

Dave

Comment

• roybatty
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
                What should I be looking out for?
                Some of the usual associated with LOW T as the last week on a three week cycle you will likely be low. Hot flashes, weight gain in the middle, muscle loss, mood swings do to high T first week and low T the following two weeks, estradiol issues, Man Boobs, etc....

The issues may take months or years more to hit you and are not always easy to see right away. I did 3-4 week cycles for MANY years - with big needles - and I regret what happened to my body

If your going to stick with 3 weeks - I hope you at least ask for total and free T and E2 levels at mid cylce and end 3 week cycle.
                "More human than human is our motto...."

Comment

• Kiwi
                  • Jul 2008

Yip monitor the levels until a stable pattern is established. Pellets and Patches above - also nothing great that I have seen with those - there is the newer underarm option http://www.axiron.com/ that is available in some countries.
                  >>>>>>>>>
                  TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
                  TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

• Davepet
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                    - there is the newer underarm option http://www.axiron.com/ that is available in some countries.
                    Anything "new" is patented & very expensive, which means most insurance in the US will not cover it without a big struggle, & even then may still refuse.

Comment

• Kiwi
                      • Jul 2008

Umm In Australia the Cost for Axion testosterone 2% (30 mg/1.5 mL actuation) transdermal solution, 60 actuations (PI, CMI) is A$76 the patient pays $38

Other T options and their cost is here
                      https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/search?term=axiron&analyse=false&search-type=medicines (click on the type at the bottom of the form for the costs)
                      >>>>>>>>>
                      TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

• Davepet
                        • Mar 2010

Unfortunately, I do not live in Australia, so those prices are not relevant to me. It's a fact that the same drug goes for wildly different prices from one country to the next, The US exerts no pressure to control prices so we get the shaft. Even the *generic* version of Androgel 1% that came out a year ago is over $300 US/ month without insurance negotiating the price down & picking up part of the tab.Pretty sure any of the topical gels are the same sine my insurance won't cover any of them except Testim,& the doc has to fight to get that approved.

Comment

• Kiwi
                          • Jul 2008

So your medical system really rips your off then.
                          >>>>>>>>>

Comment

• Davepet
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                            So your medical system really rips your off then.
                            Absolutely, it's all about how much the drug companies can make.

Comment

• Davepet
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by DAL73N View Post
                              Dave, How was it sticking yourself the first time? I think I sat there for a good 15 min before I finally did it.
                              So Friday was the day. I just went for it & got it done. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Comment

Working...
                              X