Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Really Average T Level?

Hey, everybody.

New here. Just wondering if anyone could offer some insight on testosterone levels.

I had my unilateral orchiectomy back in February and just had my T checked for the first time last month. I got a letter from my doctor saying that my level was "in normal range" but it doesn't seem like it actually is. My level was 281ng/dL and I'm 26 years old. Seems much lower than it should be, however, my docs never checked my T before the surgery so no idea what it was like before.

I don't really feel any symptoms of low T that I know of besides maybe fatigue. I'm often groggy/drowsy but I was never a high-energy person before the surgery either.

I guess what I'm asking is: Is it really "normal" for someone my age to have T that low? Does this seem like something I should be trying to talk to my doctors about?

​Thanks for your time.

I was right around 250 ish as well after my surgery with no pre base to compare to. A few months in I started having night sweats and during the day almost like clockwork around 4-5 pm my face would get flushed and my ears would feel like they were on fire. I was essentially having hot flashes. Oncologists would never do anything even with me describing the symptoms. My primary care physician was also not very helpful since I was in the "normal" range. I finally took them a picture of my mattress that was completely sweat stained. You could see an outline of my body on it. They tested it that day and I believe I got a reading of about 220. They finally gave me androgel , just one pump per day on one shoulder and I just tested at almost 600 after being on it now for 6 months. The hot flashes and night sweats stopped after about a week of being on it.
    Left R/O on 10-9-14. Ct scans all clear.
    Pure Seminoma stage 1a. no vascular invasion.
    surveillance started, with chest x-ray 12-3 , blood work 1-22-14.

Comment

That's interesting to note. I don't experience anything like what you're describing during the day but I do sweat heavily at night. It didn't occur to me that it could be related to this, I thought it was just my general aversion to heat. I've had heat stroke/heat exhaustion multiple times and being warm makes me uncomfortable.

Also, has there been a change to what's considered normal T levels? The "normal" range I see plastered all over the internet is 300-1,200 ng/dL but the range my doctor was going off of was 241-827.

Comment

Saciops, the ranges that are used change from lab to lab. My lab uses 175-780. The one the Cleveland Clinic used went from 300-1100 a number of years ago. I suggest you go to http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Hypo...one_Level.aspx and browse around the information there. My urologist put me on Androgel eight years ago at 280 and I keep it at around 600-700. I had a right I/O several months ago and am glad that I can continue to keep my T level normal though I now use Testopel. I suggest you see someone else for a second opinion - I sure would in your case. I felt a lot better once I started the HRT.

Comment

I went and scheduled an appointment today. It'll be in 12 days. Hopefully I'll get some answers then. It's occurred to me over the past day or so that I actually do have symptoms of low T, I just never really thought about it.
          Thanks, Smarc. That's odd that different labs have different T standards...
          I'm seeing my same doctor about my lab results to talk to him about my symptoms. If he still seems reluctant to offer treatment of any kind, I will probably seek a second opinion but I don't expect it'll come to that. He's usually pretty receptive to concerns.

Did you guys have any trouble sleeping once you started HRT? That's one of my primary concerns as I already have problems sleeping and I've heard HRT can have that effect.

Comment

T - no probs with Sleeping for Me!
            >>>>>>>>>
            TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
            TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Working...
            X