Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel great, but my labs begs to differ.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel great, but my labs begs to differ.

I really don't get this one. I've been in top shape since surgery, best of my life. Strong, fast, focused, good weight, lean, good brain, high sex drive, calm and clear-headed, etc., and making good moves in my various work projects. But I keep testing in the high 200s, definitely on the low side for a healthy guy of 37. Doc says we'll do one more test in early March, and to make sure that I get plenty of sleep in the weeks leading up to the test, and to eat well, and to exercise, etc., and that we'll schedule the blood draw for the early morning. That will eliminate most other possible causes of a low total testosterone finding. If we're still getting something in the high 200s, he's going to recommend TRT. But this bugs me out. I feel peak right now, and I don't want to screw the balance up.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
    JAN.2015- mild pain/swelling in RT, gradual spread to abd., GP misdiagnosed as orchitis. (SEE A UROLOGIST, GUYS!)
    JUN27- "You have cancer."
    JUN28- AFP ~250, bHCG ~90, LDH ~1.6x
    JUL01- Right orch.; 4x3 cm tumor, 90% EC, 10% yolk), CT shows 2.8cm met in abdom. + smallish mediastinum mets including one 7mm; staged III-A
    JUL06- 3xBEP begins
    JUL07- AFP ~225, bHCG ~110, LDH ~2.3x, LDH spike pushes me into stage III-B, upped to 4xBEP
    JUL28- AFP ~25, bHCG ~15, LDH normal
    AUG17- AFP, bHCG, LDH normalized by 3rd cycle; docs stick to 4-cycle plan for safety
    SEP21- completed 4xBEP, no major complications
    DEC02- RPLND, necrosis + bit of mat. tera., retrograde
    JAN. 2016- Surveillance, jogging, working, pushups, SIGUE!
    FEB. 2017- 14 MONTHS ALL CLEAR.

Hey Chad,
    I got my T checked during my last routine blood work and it came back at 275 so high 200s like you. I'm like you (almost 35 years old) I've been running more, working out and have a good sex drive and dont understand why I don't fit the typical low-T bill of no energy, no boners, etc.

I went to my urologist thinking I would be put on TRT but instead he prescribed me Clomid pills, which, I'm hesitant to take. Clomid pills are supposed to jump start remaining testicle to start producing testosterone again. I've read there's been a lot of success with raising total-T but also read that most people end up going on TRT anyways. I also donít like the fact that my pharmacist told me Clomid isnít covered under insurance for men since itís only approved for women for fertility.

I would ask your doctor if you donít have symptoms of low-T besides your labs are there any benefits of being on injections the rest of your life.
    Best of luck!

Comment

Adequate T is necessary to maintain & build lean muscle, maintain bone density & for heart health. You two are both low, especially considering your age, but don't seem to have any obvious problems.I really have no idea if supplementation will change anything for you & I suspect there will not be any noticeable changes, but heart, bones etc might benefit.

The docs don't think getting a baseline read prior to the I/O is needed, but knowing where you were at before might tell us something useful at this point, those might be th levels you've had all your life for all we know.

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Exactly, Dave -- that's my concern, the long-term stuff. If I do wind up needing TRT it will be entirely for the long-term benefits, and I suppose it's not unimaginable there could be long-term harm from low T even if there's no short term harm. Like drinking 0.01 nanograms of polonium in your coffee every morning: it would take years to notice the effect, but eventually you'd die. So I guess I'll just wait for March, and find out what to do then.

JAN.2015- mild pain/swelling in RT, gradual spread to abd., GP misdiagnosed as orchitis. (SEE A UROLOGIST, GUYS!)
        JUL01- Right orch.; 4x3 cm tumor, 90% EC, 10% yolk), CT shows 2.8cm met in abdom. + smallish mediastinum mets including one 7mm; staged III-A
        JUL06- 3xBEP begins
        JUL07- AFP ~225, bHCG ~110, LDH ~2.3x, LDH spike pushes me into stage III-B, upped to 4xBEP
        AUG17- AFP, bHCG, LDH normalized by 3rd cycle; docs stick to 4-cycle plan for safety

Comment

Hi Chad, we had some similar treatment course BEP followed by PC-RPLND. I had an ~12 wk bout with Chylous Ascites after my RPLND as I finally started to recover from this, I reached a plateau and I began having what I learned were hot flashes. Had my T-checked, low 200's, based on symptoms was put on TRT ~Aug of 2013 symptoms went away felt better. Changed jobs june 2014 running out of Androgel, new employer doesn't cover it. Rather than switch to other means I just stop taking, figure get T-checked at next Aug onco visit. low and behold fine ~800, had it tested on next two 6 mos. surveillance apt;'s tested in 700 - 800 no symptoms felt fine.

Who knows, maybe you are trending to some symptoms but have not occurred yet

Based on facts that your sex drive is good, head clear, and you feel strong and fast - even peak after what you have been through. I know if it were me I would take therapy unless I had some connection of the #'s to symptoms. your not a couch potato I don't think your activity level would allow chronic issues of low T to sneak up on you. I think you would notice in your physical performance strength speed, if you run a lot and your bones weaken you will get pain, perhaps a stress fracture. If you workout regularly you will notice changes in strength or muscle mass.

In my case, I think my body was so depleted from the Ascites battle, I was not healthy enough to product right level of T, production capability was apparently not lost, just operating on a low output.

If I did not change jobs and inherit a worse prescription drug plan, I would likely still be taking TRT and dependent on it because overtime natural production likely would have been impacted.

The TRT - will always be there, your dr. will have a recommendation, but if you not feeling symptoms you may not want to "treat a number".

Comment

Just to keep this searchable for anyone having similar worries: results from the most recent test was normal-range. A bit on the low side (upper 300s) but doc said that, combined with lack of symptoms, eliminated me for TRT consideration, at least for now, though he did want to continue watching the levels. One noteworthy finding: FSH was high. Based on what I've read, and what he told me, this is normal and expected: it's the new normal level of FSH required to stimulate correct level of testosterone production.

Also, doc said the low results were very likely because of time of day. The normal-range test was at 10:00 a.m., the lowish ones were after 2 or 3pm. Basically, T numbers are garbage after your day gets started. He even said 10:00 was probably too late for an accurate reading and guessed I'd test a bit higher if I tested at 8:00 or earlier.

JUL06- 3xBEP begins

Comment

Working...
            X