Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much testosterone do you use per week?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much testosterone do you use per week?

I'm looking at possibly having a unilateral orchiectomy (not for cancer but for post-vasectomy pain syndrome). I'm wanting to know how much testosterone you inject or apply per day, week, or month, and whether you had unilateral or bilateral orchiectomy. I tried a 100 mg shot as a trial, but wasn't able to handle it due to side effects. Now I'm trying gels at 25 mg per day. (I'm already borderline low T). For obvious reasons, it's kind of important to have an idea of how much testosterone I might need to supplement with before cutting this thing out as well as how much my body can handle without bad side effects. And yes I'm aware that I may need zero T since I would have one testicle left. But I have to be prepared for whatever life could throw at me.

Was on 3-4 pumps of androgel 1.62% for 3 years. Worked ok at best, but after awhile the gel dried out my skin and wasn’t absorbing well. Lots of low T high E symptoms. Went to cypionate shots last year 100mg a week split into x2 weekly shots every 3.5 days. After a month or so getting leveled out it is like I returned to my normal self before my surgeries. So much better for me.

One thing with HRT, you have to be patient and let your body adjust. Good luck.
    TC#1
    May 2013 - Left Orchiectomy - Stage pT1 Seminoma (2.3 cm)
    June 2013 - 1 Dose 1000mg of Carboplatin ---> Surveillance
    TC#2
    May 2015 - Right Orchiectomy - Stage pT1 Seminoma (2.2cm)
    TRT - Cypionate 100mg (Weekly)
    June 2015 - Surveillance

Comment

I started out on gels, but can't recall the exact dose. I've been injecting 200 mg ff cypionate once every 3 weeks for several years now, seems to work OK, I fwlt the gels were better, but insurance changed & injections just made more sense.

What sort of side effects did you get with the injection?
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post

What sort of side effects did you get with the injection?
        Sleep problems the night after the injection. Gave me too much energy I guess.

Comment

I'm surprised you guys are using such a low dose of T. My doc told me I could need 350 mg per week just for unilateral orch.

Comment

350mg per week? That is a lot of testosterone considering the average normal healthy young male makes about 6-8 mg per day. Yes there is going to be some loss with any exogenous testosterone, but no where near needing 350mg per week. Everyone reacts different to different doses but most guys that I have seen doing proper TRT (not juicing or steroids) are somewhere between 100 - 200mg per week.

Yes, sometimes in the early stages when you start TRT you can have a boost of energy or sometimes anxiety (myself included), but with proper monitoring of your blood levels and giving your body time to adjust, these things typically work themselves out. Just speaking from my personal experience.
            TC#1
            TC#2
            June 2015 - Surveillance

Comment

I thought testicles were “use it or loose it” kind of organ. If you start getting T from elsewhere your survivor may athrophy.

I could be wrong. But this is something I would be asking doc.

Generally, with unilateral orhyometry the survivor will pick up the load.

Comment

Vpirh is correct if you have two or one testicle(s) and start taking exogenous testosterone they will eventually stop producing it naturally after a while, unless you are also taking HCG. This is usually why some people feel awesome at first because the body hasn't shutdown natural production and you supplementing further with T, then after a couple of weeks there is a drop as your boy(s) shutdown. It takes awhile for your body to adjust to hormone changes before your levels becomes stable.
                TC#1
                TC#2
                June 2015 - Surveillance

Comment

I went 35 years with one testicle & never missed a beat (ask my various girlfriends & my (eventual) wife). Losing #2 was a bigger change, but TRT works wonders & takes care of most everything. Life goes on pretty much normally after either event.

Dave

Comment

Thank you for sharing this time and time again, Dave, it's a true inspiration for us to know that life goes on as normal!!
                    July 2016 - Left I/O
                    December 2016 - BEPx3
                    All clear for 2 years now!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                    First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                    3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
                    3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
                    Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by vpirh View Post
                      I thought testicles were “use it or loose it” kind of organ. If you start getting T from elsewhere your survivor may athrophy.
                      Tey stop producing testosterone if there is an adequate supply in the body, but they do not "atrophy". Stopping the supplement will normally restore production.However if you start on TRT, chances are good you do so because there was an unability to produce enough naturally, so that i the state they you will likely return to.

Originally posted by vpirh View Post
                      Generally, with unilateral orhyometry the survivor will pick up the load.
                      For 80+% it does, as it did for me for 35 years, but sometimes the survivor doesn't get the job done & TRT is needed to maintain health. It's not just about sex, after all.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X