X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan000
    • Mar 2024

Latest info on prosthesis?

It is looking pretty certain that I will be having the orchiectomy later this month.
    Searching these forums, I find a lot of information on prosthesis, but much of it is older. What are best recommendations currently?

Some have said the “soft-solid silicone” type are a good choice, but might not be available in the U.S. Are there any new findings on this?

Some people seem to have some sort of an attachment added to hold it in place whereas I ran across at least one person who’s doctor did not use anything. It is “free floating” it seems. What are pro and con on this?

Also, I am a pretty avid cyclist. For being active like this, is it maybe better to forego the prosthesis to avoid having it potentially “getting in the way”?

With a 5 cm mass now on the testi, does the skin get stretched out? If a prosthesis is not used, will there be a dramatic * empty * appearance as a result?

A lot of questions ... but really hoping someone has input, especially from their own experience. Am about to schedule this and grappling with choices like this is really weighing on me.

Thanks
  • Mike
    Administrator
    • Apr 2008

Unless there has been a recent change, in the U.S. only one prosthesis is available, from a company called Coloplast.

There have been several articles published over the past decade looking at patient satisfaction and I have linked to them in the Library of Medicine at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?ter...ears.2014-2024 Not all of the studies will apply but it is something you can take a look at.

Overall, it seem there are some complaints with the prosthesis, mainly size and positioning, but overall that guys that have had one would do it again. I opted not to get one.

Anecdotally, guys in colder climates have noted that the prosthesis feels cold, perhaps because it doesn't retract as a normal testicle would, in colder weather.

There is also a 2024 publication on fixing the prosthesis or not at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38056509/

I hope this helps a bit.

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Working...
    X