X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPLND tips

My first post. A little background about me.. Before Orchiectomy (5-13-2010)hCG 3, AFP 5.2. Left side Orchiectomy May 20th, 2010. 95% EC, 5% seminoma. size of tumor 1.3cm x 1.2 cm. Counts afterword (6-23-2010) hCG <1, AFP 3... RPLND is scheduled for this thursday July 22nd.

I would appreciate any last words of advice before I go in for my RPLND. Was there anything that helped before or after? I have been searching these forums and have found some really helpful stuff. thanks in advance.

Some places stress a very low fat diet before and after surgery, to minimize the probability of experiencing chylous ascites, a relatively rare complication, but a real hassle when it occurs. Don't rush your recovery, but do get up and walk as soon and as much as you are able. Hang in there!
    Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your support helps Livestrong fix the problems that people with cancer face every day. Please give generously!

Comment

pace yourself

Hi,
      I had my surgery 11 days ago @ Memorial Sloan. They did stress the importance of the 3day diet before the surgery. I believe it helped in my recovery. However, by far the most important thing is to start walking the day following your surgery. @ Sloan, I had a physical therapist that got me out of bed and walking. Along with some breathing exercises, that were difficult to do (the first 2-3days) but very helpful. As far as the walking is concerned, all the nurses were encouraging me to walk all day long, and to pace myself. In my floor 14 laps=1mile. They were telling me that some people were doing all their laps by noon and then stayed in bed the rest of the day. That is not the idea. You do want to walk as much as possible, but not just all at once. I walked at all times of day, mostly 2-3-4 lap intervals, depending on my level of energy. My third night was the hardest (feeling very bloated), and I got up @ 3am and walked 4 laps. My floor was very busy during the day, so I actually found it easier to walk during the night.

One more thing, when you do start to eat again, GO VERY SLOW. For example, if you order breakfast, eat it over 2-3 hours. Its very tempting to try to eat eveything at once, but don't do it....Good luck to you.

Comment

Hey John. Jon here.

One thing they had me do the night of the surgery too was drink two bottles of magnesium citrate. Do this towards the evening, 5ish or so. Clears your bowels and helps with the surgery and recovery as well.

You wont be able to drink fluids at all either. One thing that helped me get through that, that i forgot to mention to ya over the phone, is i chewed on ice like it was cool and spit it out. They also had these mouth swabs as well that worked well at getting rid of the cotton mouth.

Once you past your 3rd day post OP, it's down hill from there. At least it was for me.
        5/4/2010 - Diagnosed with TC
        5/20/2010 - Right I/O - 1.8cm - no LVI - 70% Seminoma - 30% EC - Less than 1% Teratoma - Stage 1A
        6/7/2010 - RPLND Scheduled. Oncologist requested for second opinion.
        6/15/2010 - Oncologist seen and Chemo not an option for stage 1A.
        7/6/2010 - Right sided template RPLND - Surgeon Dr. Stephenson(Huntsman Cancer Center)
        7/12/2010 - Pathology clean on surveillance.
        11/11/2010 - Clean

Comment

Working...
        X