Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Lymphovascular Invasion Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lymphovascular Invasion

    The decision is a hard one. Chemo? Surveillance? With the lymphovascular invasion and the tumor being 5cm and 74% EC wouldn't you think chemo? We would be super vigilant with surveillance but...
    Husband diagnosed 10/5/10
    Right I/O 10/7/10
    70% Embryonal carcinoma, 25% yolk sack, 5% teratoma, <1% choriocarcinoma
    10/12/10 AFP 78, hCG 6
    10/18/10 AFP 40, hCG 1
    10/23/10 AFP 15.4
    11/08/10 AFP 2.8
    12/10/10 AFP 2.1, hCG >.5
    1/14/11 AFP 1.7, hCG >.5
    2/11/11 AFP 1.6, hCG 1.9
    On surveillance...

  • #2
    Chemo would be good if you'd like the piece of mind. its no picnic but it is do able. but im sure more will chime in soon with both sides.
    Brian

    3/29/10 went to ER pain and swelling in testie
    4/07/10 found out about tc
    4/12/10 L i/o 1.3x1.3x1.9 teratoma, chorio
    5/3/10 start 3x BEP
    5/24/10 switch to 4xep off bleo do to lung clots
    7/9/10 end of chemo
    1/1/11 off the blood thinners
    10/11 year and 3 months clear

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Frenhie View Post
      The decision is a hard one. Chemo? Surveillance? With the lymphovascular invasion and the tumor being 5cm and 74% EC wouldn't you think chemo? We would be super vigilant with surveillance but...
      I see you are in Lititz- that's not far from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Maybe you would consider a second opinion with Dr. Vaughn?

      I had my I/O in Chester County, and the Path Lab didn't get my pathology report entirely correct. (I had a second read at HUP, through Dr. Vaughn- and their diagnoses was confirmed at Sloan Kettering on a third opinion.
      Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
      Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

      Please see a physician for medical advice!

      My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
      The 2013 Already Balders

      Comment


      • #4
        I just noticed that you sent the slides to IU- sorry, now I remember your other post.

        It is a personal decision, but I would not chemo unless absolutly necessary.
        After all, surveillance is the goal- we all go on it eventually.
        Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
        Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

        Please see a physician for medical advice!

        My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
        The 2013 Already Balders

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Already Bald View Post
          I see you are in Lititz- that's not far from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Maybe you would consider a second opinion with Dr. Vaughn?

          I had my I/O in Chester County, and the Path Lab didn't get my pathology report entirely correct. (I had a second read at HUP, through Dr. Vaughn- and their diagnoses was confirmed at Sloan Kettering on a third opinion.

          Thanks for this. I will look into Dr. Vaughn. The pathology report is finished at IU but I haven't heard back from Dr. Einhorn. I think Eric will be a good candidate for surveillance after his 11/8 blood work comes back normal, pulling out the big guns if something comes up later. I hate the LVI, 5cm tumor and immature teratoma in there but know that we would be super vigilant. It certainly would not hurt to have Dr. Vaughn's opinion and we are an hour from Philly.
          Husband diagnosed 10/5/10
          Right I/O 10/7/10
          70% Embryonal carcinoma, 25% yolk sack, 5% teratoma, <1% choriocarcinoma
          10/12/10 AFP 78, hCG 6
          10/18/10 AFP 40, hCG 1
          10/23/10 AFP 15.4
          11/08/10 AFP 2.8
          12/10/10 AFP 2.1, hCG >.5
          1/14/11 AFP 1.7, hCG >.5
          2/11/11 AFP 1.6, hCG 1.9
          On surveillance...

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey there:

            My path report was very similar to your husband's: 70% EC, 20% Seminoma, 10% immature terratoma, and it looked like there was LVI (though the second opinion said no LVI). I did decide on 2xBEP, but it was a hard decision. Make no mistake, 2xBEP is no walk in the park...but at the same time it is not as hard as I was afraid it was going to be. Ultimately, I would think you and your hunny need to weigh out your own personal situation/fears/needs, etc. My experience is that the docs could only help so much. For me, my wife and I chose 2xBEP because we have our first child coming in March, and the thought of relapsing in the first 2 years, not being present for my wife and new child, etc....I don;t even want to think about it. So, for me, the risks and downright unpleasantness (who are we kidding, it's straight up ****tiness) of chemo was worth it. I've only got 1 course of Bleo left, and while I would give anything to have never have had to make this decision, for us it still feels like the right one. I'd do it again tomorrow, of I had to.

            Regardless of what you decide, you and yours will rock TC. Best of luck!

            Comment


            • #7
              2xBEP chemo can be crappy for some, less crappy for others... you never know how you'll handle it until you start... Mil's for example (2xBEP) went really well! You wouldn't know he was doing chemo except for the hair loss. For everything else - appetite, energy, lack of sickness, hanging out with friends all the time... it just seemed like he wasn't doing chemo!! So you might get that too, or it could be a bit harder. I wish there was one "ok this is what it will be"! But alas.... Surveillance is a great option. Even after Mil having done the 2xBEP I say that. Because now he is on surveillance anyways. And if something were to come up...there's no 3xBEP left, you know? I guess it's what many of the guys on here say about "Saving the big guns"... Either way you'll beat this though, so just always remember that! and stay positive...... Let us know! ciao

              Partner diagnosed August 2009, Right I/O, 90% EC, 10% Seminoma, with LVI
              Told stage 1B (?), treated 7 weeks later with adjuvant 2xBEP
              March 2010 MRI - clear
              July 2010 CT - clear

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for weighing in! We just got his CAT scan of the chest back...all clear! And his blood work this morning has his hCG normal and AFP was 6.5!! This is very good news!

                I feel like surveillance is OK now! We see the oncologist on Friday and are still waiting for the second opinion on the path report back from IU but we feel good!

                I know if there is a relapse it will likely happen in the first year so I am guardedly happy but happy nontheless!!!
                Husband diagnosed 10/5/10
                Right I/O 10/7/10
                70% Embryonal carcinoma, 25% yolk sack, 5% teratoma, <1% choriocarcinoma
                10/12/10 AFP 78, hCG 6
                10/18/10 AFP 40, hCG 1
                10/23/10 AFP 15.4
                11/08/10 AFP 2.8
                12/10/10 AFP 2.1, hCG >.5
                1/14/11 AFP 1.7, hCG >.5
                2/11/11 AFP 1.6, hCG 1.9
                On surveillance...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great news! Here's to beating TC!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X