X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Loss After Chemo...Again??!!

So when I went through 2XBEP chemo about 6 months ago, it was no surprise that I lost my hair. What is surprising, however, is that I seem to be losing at least some of it again! In the past few weeks I've noticed that I'm quite thin in one spot up top, my beard is very thin in parts, and I can pull hairs out of the areas above my sideburns pretty regularly and easily (those spots are getting thin). These areas regrew pretty fully right after chemo, I should add. Does the hair come back weak and could be affected by something else (summer sun, etc.)? Or do I need to worry about something? I asked my oncologist if this could be a harbinger of a low-T issue and he did not seem to believe that could be the case. I've not been experiencing any other low-T symptoms and if the hair loss were due to that, I'd think it would be systemic. But it's only from these few places. Any thoughts? It's really weird.

My oncologist told me that it can take years for the body to normilize, she told me this when I told her I still have bald spots, gladly I have curly hair and it blends well, so I usually notice when I just got up from bed and my hair is a mess, or when I just washed my hair and I'm styling it. Also that the first hair that comes out is weak (I'm 5 months post chemo). My Cousin told me it happened to him too, it wasn't until the 3rd haircut it stopped breaking off and grew on the remaning bald spots for him.
    Jan 11/2011 - left orchiectomy
    Biopsy 100% Embryonal Carcinoma
    CT Shows spread to two lynph nodes largest 5.9cm
    Jan 19/2011 Tumoral Markers lowered to almost normal levels but still high
    Staring BEPx3 on FEB 21/2011
    CT scan 5.9cm mass > 1.9cm Markers Normal
    RPLND June 30/2011 Pathologhy reports: necrotic tissue

Comment

The same thing happened to me. All of my hair grew back very fully after chemo and then all of the sudden my beard started to look really patchy around 6 months after treatment ended. However, in the past couple weeks its started to look full again. I am about 8 months out from treatment now.

My onc said that it will take some time to normalize. I haven't had any low-T issues either, so I guess its part of the process.
      Dx - 08/23/2010
      L. I/O - 08/28/2010
      100% Embryonal Carcinoma, w/vascular invasion
      Pre-op - AFP 90.5; HCG 318; LDH 193
      09/07/2010 - CT Scan - Clear
      10/14/2010 - AFP 18; HCG 11; LDH 152
      10/25/2010 - Chest x-ray - 2cm x 2.5cm spot left lung
      10/25/2010 - AFP 19.8; HCG 18; LDH 188
      10/25/2010 - 12/20/2010 - 3xBEP
      Post-Chemo - CT Scan, Brain MRI, U/S Right Testicle - All Clear
      1/10/2011 - 3/16/2011 - HCG <1; AFP 12.5, 13.0, 14.6, 14.3, 12.6
      On surviellance!

Comment

Thanks guys, very reassuring. I am almost exactly 6 months out - so just like you described, Andy. It was so weird...the hair and especially the beard came back with a vengeance - in some places it was dense as carpet and my moustache was almost jet black (I normally have light brown to reddish facial hair). Now it's thinned out all weirdly just like you've mentioned. Hopefully it is just running its course. Like I said, I figured if it was low-T-related, I'd be feeling more systemic effects before it got to the point where I'd be shedding. But I don't have any depression or loss of energy, I'm keeping up strength fine, etc. So I guess it's just a weird thing that will hopefully pass.

Comment

I was happy my search for "patchy" brought this thread back up, and happy, too, to know that at almost exactly six months out of chemo, that I'm par for the course. The hair between my beard and my temples has stopped growing (temporarily, I'm figuring, from reading this thread). My oncologist said that such an occurrence was abnormal at my six month (clean!) checkup, but I knew that you guys would crowd-source the real answer.

Thanks again for pooling your wisdom and experience. And in the meantime, I'll just wear the sides really tight until it feels like growing back in.
          12/24/10: Palpated mass in left testicle
          1/21/11: Diagnosis
          1/24/11: Left I/O
          2/4/11: pathology: 70% seminoma, 25% EC, 5% yolk sac; CT and chest x-ray clear; 2nd opinion confirms: stage 1A nonseminoma
          3/14/11: 1xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by NY_prof View Post
            The hair between my beard and my temples has stopped growing
            That's the spot where I first noticed mine too. In the time since, the entire top of my head has thinned out quite a bit. I THINK that I've reached an inflection point where the rate of loss has pretty much stopped, and I want to say I've regained that side hair where it was thin. Hard to tell though since hair behavior happens on a pretty long time frame. I just did a #6 across the whole head the other week to keep it simple; no point in wasting money having someone else cut your hair when who knows what it's going to do.

Comment

Hey guys I'm currently about 6 months after chemo, the hair had grow back fully in about 3 months, but now I'm experiencing hair loss again. Suddenly my hair around the ears and temples became very slim, I almost can see my head skin. The beard became patchy and my chest hair is going off again. I wanted to ask the ones who experienced the same problem what did you do about it? Did you use some medication or did the things came back to normal on their own?

Comment

This is happening to me now as well! I ended chemo in March (3xBEP - Stage 2 embryonal carcinoma)and by june i had all my hair back and i look normal, but now that it is august, my hair on the top of my head is CRAZY thin and the hair just keeps falling out. Also, oddly enough, my goatee has turned completely white. I have an appointment with my oncologist on the 8th. Have any of you guys started growing your normal hair back yet?

Comment

Working...
                X