X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started 2nd BEP - Need Advice on Markers

Hi, glad to have found such a great community where you can ask advice and share your story. I'm 31yrs old, white male from Europe.

- So, in late November, 2011 I was diagnosed with TC.

- Original CT scan found one increased lymph node in retroperitoneal, 20mm/2cm = 0.787 inches

- On December 2, 2011 I got my I/O on the right testicle

- Histology showed it's a non-seminoma: 98% embryonal carcinoma, 2% yolk sac tumor

- Clinically staged IIA

- Markers have been increasing since I learned the news: originally within normal range, then going up, the highest mark was like 52 for AFP and 40 for HCG

- The most recent check before I started 2nd cycle of BEP got AFP = 6, hCG = under 3, oncologist seems to be happy

- Follow up scan showed that the lymph node decreased by approx. 50% after the first cycle of BEP

NOW HERE'S MY QUESTION: I read that neither embryonal carcinoma, nor yolk sac tumor secrete hCG, why could my blood test show increased hCG earlier?

From what I understand this mix of tumors is not the worst combination, am I right?

Thanks!

Hi Arty - Here's some info on HCG levels in different types. best to you, embee

Raised bHCG level are rarely elevated in seminoma. The figures below provide the chances of having an elevated b HCG level in different types of testicular cancers -

100% - Chorio carcinoma

60% - Embryonal carcinoma

55% - Teratocarcinoma

25% - Yolk Cell Tumor

7% - Seminomas
    Nephew Will (19 years old)

2-14-11 Left I/O; 50% EC, 40% teratoma; 10% yolk sac
    3-14-11: BEPx3
    4-18-11: Markers normalize
    6-13-11: IU pathology: 60% teratoma, 35% EC, 5% yolk sac
    7-7-11: left modified template nerve sparing RPLND at IU; 2/19 nodes with teratoma (2%), rest necrotic
    10-01-11: 1st post-RPLND TM ALL CLEAR
    12-01-11: 1st post-RPLND CT ALL CLEAR

Comment

Hi Arty,

hCG can be markedly elevated with embroynal cell. It can also be falsely elevated with hypogonadism, heterophilic antibodies and marijuana use.

Thanks,
      Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

embee, Mike, thanks for your input.

My male hormone levels when last checked were within acceptable ranges, free testosterone even went up after the I/O.

After the chemo hCG seems to be back on track so I'll just keep an eye on it. Maybe it's embryonal carcinoma that produces it. I don't know what heterophile antibodies but I probably smoke pot two times in a lifetime with no response from the nervous system. )

Comment

Arty I had 70% EC/30% Seminoma and both my AFP and Hcg were elevated. 77 and 209 respectively just before chemo and were normal after Rd. 1 of BEP.

Comment

Got it, similar to my case, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by arty View Post
              embee, Mike, thanks for your input.

My male hormone levels when last checked were within acceptable ranges, free testosterone even went up after the I/O.

After the chemo hCG seems to be back on track so I'll just keep an eye on it. Maybe it's embryonal carcinoma that produces it. I don't know what heterophile antibodies but I probably smoke pot two times in a lifetime with no response from the nervous system. )
              Just an FYI, heterophilic antibodies are kind of hard to explain but they are basically antibodies that can react with a bunch of different entities and can thus interfere with the hCG test itself.

I wouldn't worry too much about them. Especially, since your hCG is decreased.
              Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
              06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
              06.26.06 Left I/O
              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
              06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
              Surveillance...
              Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
              6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Working...
              X