X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most amazing thing happened at IU today

This morning we met with Dr. Einhorn to talk about the surgery tomorrow and try to get an idea of what would come next. Dr. Einhorn had only reviewed the radiologist's report; he had not seen the cd of the CT scan results. While waiting in the examining room, we could hearing Dr. Einhorn on the phone discussing the scan with Dr. Foster. Dr. Einhorn finally came into the examining room grinning from ear to ear and announced that the surgery was cancelled and we could go home! He said that there was no need to go to the appointment with Dr. Foster unless we just wanted to say hello.

Dr. Einhorn said that the retroperitoneal tumor was a seminoma, and even though they are no longer alive, they don't completely disappear with chemo. The tumor is 95% smaller than when it was identified at Christmas. The enlarged paratracheal lymph node is not cancer and is nothing to worry about. Dane will need to have an abdominal ct scan, a chest x-ray, and a blood test every 3 months for 4 years. If there has been no change in 2 years, he can get checked annually. If anything appears on one of those tests, we are to call Dr. Einhorn.

We've only felt this kind of exhilarition once before - after the RPLND when both doctors confirmed that the lymph nodes were clear of any cancer cells. At that time, Dr. Einhorn told us that if the cancer returned, chemo would be 98% effective in destroying it. It was the most amazing rush of happiness.

There were a lot of what ifs... Dane scheduled the appointment with Dr. Einhorn today, even though it wasn't necessary. Dr. Foster was going forward with the surgery until Dr. Einhorn received the ct scan dvd today, reviewed it, and made the call. The oncologist at home was going to give a 4th cycle of BEP until Dane emailed Einhorn and asked if he approved. Einhorn said, "NO MORE BEP!"

We've spent the afternoon rescheduling airline, hotel, and shuttle reservations. Delta waived the $150 change fees and gave us the same price to go home tomorrow afternoon. They refunded the frequent flyer points for my husband's ticket without a fee. Hats off to Delta! We're headed back to North Carolina with great admiration for Dr. E and appreciation to all those who sent their prayers and positive thoughts our way. Lynn
    Last edited by DAS's Mom; 04-11-12, 11:25 PM.
    sigpic Dane after Dr. Einhorn told him his tumor was gone. (4/10/12)
    2/9/10 - left oriectomy. Tumor 3.8 cm; focal lymphovascular invasion.
    EC - 35%; Teratoma with immature neuroectodermal elements - 35%; Seminoma - 20%; Yolk sac - 10%;
    3/16/10 - Left RPLND at IU. All clear. Surveillance for 18 mos.
    12/16/11 - LDH 476; AFP 1.1; HCG 6. CT scan: tumors in lymph node and on renal artery
    2/27/12 - BEP x 3
    4/11/12 - Surgery cancelled at IU. Cancer (seminoma) is gone.

Holy crap! What amazing, amazing news! I sure you all over the moon! Godspeed back to NC.
    Heidi

Husband - age 51
    10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; -HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
    11/1/10 4X BEP
    12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - -HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
    2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
    6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
    Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

How cool is that!!! Enjoy the trip and return home!!!
      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Now that REALLY was a good surprise, bet you are so happy.
        Feb 12 - Ultrasound confirms suspicious swelling, AFP 2, HGC 3, LDH 644, CT Scan - clear. Urologist says probably tumour
        28 Feb 12 - Left I/O Classic Seminoma (Alveolar) 3.9cm max, no LVI or RTI, encapsulated and excised. pT1. AFP 2, HGC <1
        Apr / May / Aug 12 / Dec 12 / Mar 13 (notionally 1 Year) - Oncologist - All clear inc CT / CXR
        ~Aug - next planned surveillance

Grumpy is just a 20 year old nickname not an instruction Okay

Comment

Fabulous! Enjoy your meeting with Dr Foster!
          Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
          August 2001: Right I/O .
          August - December 2001: Surveillance .
          December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
          December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
          Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

Fantastic news :d
            Val Brother (23 when diagnosed) : Dianosed 14/09/2009, testicle removed, Non sem diagnosed. Tumour markers 36000 before op and dropped to 17000 after operation.. Chemo started end of september 4 x BEP. Tumour markers normal at end of chemo. RPLND 26 Feb 2010 No cancer found. Latest Appointment November 2013- CT and markers normal http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.pnghttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.pnghttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png

Comment

Amazing news!!! I am so happy for Dane. Celebrate!!!!
              Doug

"There's no dollar sign, on a piece of mind, this I've come to know" Zac Brown Band

Comment

That is GREAT news! So happy for you and your family!
                Miracles do happen!

Comment

Sorry I am a day behind in finding this thread - but holy canoly - what GREAT news!! Fantastic! There aren't enough superlatives to convey how great this news is!!

So happy for you,
                  T
                  Tracy
                  Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
                  Left I/O 12/31/10.
                  4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
                  1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
                  Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
                  Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

Tracy and Heidi,

Thank you so much for holding my hand on this forum as we prepared for this surgery. You provided comfort and enough useful information about tc that I could put it out of my mind when I left for work and not dwell on it again until I returned home. I knew better than to worry all the time, because I've always been told that worrying doesn't make it better. A good doctor certainly does, though. Don't stop doing for others what you do on this forum. Lynn
                    EC - 35%; Teratoma with immature neuroectodermal elements - 35%; Seminoma - 20%; Yolk sac - 10%;
                    12/16/11 - LDH 476; AFP 1.1; HCG 6. CT scan: tumors in lymph node and on renal artery
                    2/27/12 - BEP x 3

Comment

Oh my goodness, I logged on today to see if he was doing okay and received this wonderful news! I am so happy for your son and your family and you "Mom" what a great day!!
                      Stage IIB
                      12/29/11 - Diagnosed AFP-181,HCG-30,LDH - 181
                      12/30/11 - R I/O 40% EC,40% yolk sac, 10% chorio,immature teratoma with islands of immature & atypical cartilage
                      12/30/11 CT - 6 nodes largest is 2.8 x 2.2 cm
                      1/13/12 - AFP-24, HCG -7, LDH-389
                      1/24/12 - BEP x3 round 1 began
                      3/27/12 - BEPx 3 completed,6 nodes remain largest 2.9 x 2.2
                      4/26/12 - RPLND at University of Colorado,1dead, 5 teratomas
                      5/3/12 - All clear - surveillance
                      7/19/12, 10/19/12,4/17/13, 11/8/13 - all clear!

Comment

YAY!!!!! I'm so thrilled for you and Dane!

In August of 2009 we experienced a similar situation when Dr. E. gave my son a 50/50 chance that he was cured and suggested waiting on the RPLND. My son has not had the surgery or additional chemo as our local docs suggested. Dr. E. changed the course of treatment is suggesting NO MORE treatment. My son is ALL CLEAR.

Another example of Dr. E's awesomeness!

~Mary Ann
                        CaregiverSon Josh 23yr Dx 3/5/08 IIIC NonSeminoma affected lung, kidney liver back & tumor/clots in vena cava & celiac artery 3/7/08 L I/O 3/30/08 PostOp surgery 4XEP (VP16 & Cisplatin) 3/12-5/25 LDH > 5000 & AFP 145 (3/5 pre-op) LDH 563 & AFP 4 (5/26 after 4Xchemo) off blood thinners 3/18/09 Surveillance per Dr E 8/4/08 *1/2012 ALL CLEAR!

Self 1/29/09 dx thyroid cancer metastasized to right lung 2/10 thyroid removd 4/17 rx RA131 5/11/10 &7/16/10. 1/12survellience

Comment

Last Update

We arrived home from Indianapolis last night, and Dane reported to work this morning. Life is good. Hopefully this will be my last update for a long time. Lynn
                          2/27/12 - BEP x 3

Comment

Come visit me at work sometime - I am right down the road from you, and everyone needs a library
                            Heidi

Husband - age 51
                            10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; -HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
                            11/1/10 4X BEP
                            12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - -HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
                            2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
                            6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
                            Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

Working...
                            X