X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 3 - shortness of breath already

My son has completed the first 3 days of BEP x 3 and is already experiencing shortness of breath. Is that normal?
    a mom

Son, age 25
    2/28/12 Right I/O
    Stage 1 nonseminoma
    Embryonal carcinoma - 60%
    yolk sac tumor - 30%
    focal seminoma - 10%
    LVI
    CT scan clear
    AFP - 22
    4/9/12 BEP x 3

Be sure to report into his medical team and oncologist.
    They will want to evaluate him.
    Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
    Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
    The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Day 4. They think he's retaining fluid as his weight and blood pressure are up and that's probably causing the shortness of breath. Gave him some diuretics so hopefully that will help.
      a mom

Son, age 25
      2/28/12 Right I/O
      Stage 1 nonseminoma
      yolk sac tumor - 30%
      focal seminoma - 10%
      LVI
      CT scan clear
      AFP - 22
      4/9/12 BEP x 3

Comment

Originally posted by a mom View Post
        Day 4. They think he's retaining fluid as his weight and blood pressure are up and that's probably causing the shortness of breath. Gave him some diuretics so hopefully that will help.
        My husband was also retaining fluid the first week and actually gained 8 pounds, and his BP did get pretty high. They gave him a diuretic and it did the trick. He was not experiencing shortness of breath because of it though. But it makes sense that that could happen as a result. I think the most important thing is to let the doc know everything that he is feeling/experiencing.

Husband (Cory) age 31..
        2/22/12-Consultation for vasectomy. Told to get blood work/ultrasound. Cancer suspected.
        2/24/12- Dx, B-hcg=9670, LDH=250
        2/28/12- L I/O Embryonal, Chorio, teratoma-8.5cm retroperitoneal mass-2.5cm mass in neck lymph node
        3/12/12- 4XBEP-Start of Round 1( HCG-8100)
        4/2/12 Round 2 (HCG 176)
        4/23/12 Round 3 (HCG 13)
        5/14/12 Round 4 (HCG 6)
        6/1/12 Breathing Complications
        7/19/12Passed Away Bleo Toxicity

Comment

There may be a lot of reasons why this is happening including physchological reasons, but...

I'd recommend getting this checked ASAP to eliminate the possibility of pulmonary embolism. I don't know the case here, but it seems a bit too early for the blood levels to go down this fast. A pulmonary doctor may want to do blood clotting tests and measure oxygen levels in your blood and even possibly do a chest scan.

Shortness of breath should not be taken lightly. I do not mean to alarm you or create panic. I'd rather be sure when it comes to PE.

It is highly unlikely he will ever have PE because it looks like he was diagnosed at a fairly early stage. That said, according to my onco, people with cancer tend to see more clotting in their veins than people without cancer. In my case, my vena cava was blocked with a very large tumor, which had stopped blood flow back into my heart. My cava and subsequently my lungs were full of clots.
          Last edited by Tarc79; 04-12-12, 07:03 PM.
          Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
          Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma
          Vena Cava Filter placed
          4*BEP, self-injected Lovenox
          AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
          May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
          Filter Removed
          Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
          April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI

Comment

My son has completed the first 3 days of BEP x 3 and is already experiencing shortness of breath. Is that normal?
            I honestly can't recall how quickly that set in for me, But I do recall that just getting dressed would require a sit down to recover at some point. Always bring any new symptoms to the doc's attention. My doc wasn't concerned about my shortness of breath & it took only a few months post treatment to go away for me

Dave
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

They think he's retaining fluid...
              During each of my in-patient hospital treatments my fluid levels went up. And post chemo I had very "fat" ankles/lower legs because of fluid retention. Thankfully this all settled down over time

Feb 2009: RHS (Seminoma) & RT
              Mar 2010: LHS (Embryonal Carcinoma)
              Sep 2010: Relapse & 3 x BEP
              Mar 2014: Four years a eunuch!
              http://doublezeroami.blogspot.com

Comment

He also has a lot of heartburn which he is taking prilosec for. He thinks that may have contributed to the feeling of shortness of breath. He's finished with his first full week, and so far it hasn't been that bad, thankfully. We'll see what next week brings.
                a mom

Son, age 25
                2/28/12 Right I/O
                Stage 1 nonseminoma
                yolk sac tumor - 30%
                focal seminoma - 10%
                LVI
                CT scan clear
                AFP - 22
                4/9/12 BEP x 3

Comment