Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to a Normal Diet After RPLND

Hi everyone,

I'm currently half way through my 4-week minimal fat diet following my PC-RPLND. I'm curious though as to how to return to a normal diet once I'm done. If anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

Originally posted by youngster View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently half way through my 4-week minimal fat diet following my PC-RPLND. I'm curious though as to how to return to a normal diet once I'm done. If anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Decribe minimal. Then we will have a better understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanRyan View Post
      Decribe minimal. Then we will have a better understanding.
      @RyanRyan: You had an rplnd too. You KNOW you are supposed to be on a low fat diet for a while afterwards to reduce the chances of chylous ascites.

Youngster, the best thing to do is discuss with your surgeon as everyone is a bit different, and he has been the one following your case. As a general rule, you should stay on a healthy lower fat diet anyway, but a bit of the fun foods finding their way back into your diet in moderation is probably what will be advised.
      Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
      Left I/O 11/25/08
      Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
      Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

My doc had me on a 30gm or less a day of fat. I probably kept it below 10 for 4 weeks. Then by about by 5 weeks I was up to 30 gm.

No steak, ice cream, donughts, it wasn't too bad.

That was back in dec I had surgery. I'm still trying to gain weight back. I lost quite a bit of weight from the surgery. But feeling great now.

I'm still eating a healthier diet. But its hard to gain weight back when its not high fat food.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanRyan View Post
          But its hard to gain weight back when its not high fat food.
          Muscle mass weighs more than fat... protein (not necessarily meat, but fish and whey protein drinks as well as eggs) couples with carbs and light workouts (Heavier weights but less reps) will help with the weight gain.
          Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
          Left I/O 11/25/08
          Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
          Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

Youngster, you just need to talk to your surgeon, as everyone seems to do something different. I had no restrictions after my surgery at all.
            7/15/11 Right I/O
            90% EC, 10% Seminoma, LVI, CT scan and Chest x-rays clear
            8/22/11 RPLND, all clean

Comment

After my RPLND, my surgeon had me on a no-fat diet for 90 days. I lost 40 pounds. It turns out my wife and I misunderstood what the doctor said. I was only suppose to be on a no-fat diet for 2 weeks. This was a big ooops, but everything turned out okay. I blame the misunderstanding on "chemo-brain" as I was just coming off of chemo. Please make sure you do what your doctor recommends and don't make the same mistake I made.
              Jacob

March 2011 -Stage IIB, 90% Embryonal Carcinoma, 10% Yolk Sac
              March 2011 - Right I/O- AFP- 53.3, HCG- 429
              April- June BEPx3, Dr. Bhogaraju Texas Oncology, Lewisville, TX
              July 2011 - post chemo CT shows three lymph nodes up to 1.6cm remaining
              July 28 2011 - RPLND with Dr. Sagalowsky, UT Southwestern, Dallas
              August - ALL CLEAR!
              November - ALL CLEAR!!
              January - Next Checkup

Comment

Originally posted by JFreeby View Post
                After my RPLND, my surgeon had me on a no-fat diet for 90 days. I lost 40 pounds. It turns out my wife and I misunderstood what the doctor said. I was only suppose to be on a no-fat diet for 2 weeks. This was a big ooops, but everything turned out okay. I blame the misunderstanding on "chemo-brain" as I was just coming off of chemo. Please make sure you do what your doctor recommends and don't make the same mistake I made.
                Well, that was a "bitter-sweet" oversight from your surgeon!
                Hopefully you will be able to maintain a healthy weight and balanced diet moving forward.

Youngster, I agree that you should ask your doctor, or the nursing staff.
                For me, I can tell you if I have two high fat meals in a row- even 5 years out, I get nauseous.
                So I try to stay healthy.
                Best!
                Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
                Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
                The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Working...
                X