X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomach flu?

it's official, 2 of our 4 kids have the stomach flu.. What can be done, if anything, to treat should my husband end up this? His WBC is low so I am very concerned. Also, he is in the middle of his full week, so would this at all interfere with chemo? ugh, this process...if it's not one thing it's another!!!
    Last edited by Chaps6; 04-25-12, 02:29 AM.

Husband (Cory) age 31..
    2/22/12-Consultation for vasectomy. Told to get blood work/ultrasound. Cancer suspected.
    2/24/12- Dx, B-hcg=9670, LDH=250
    2/28/12- L I/O Embryonal, Chorio, teratoma-8.5cm retroperitoneal mass-2.5cm mass in neck lymph node
    3/12/12- 4XBEP-Start of Round 1( HCG-8100)
    4/2/12 Round 2 (HCG 176)
    4/23/12 Round 3 (HCG 13)
    5/14/12 Round 4 (HCG 6)
    6/1/12 Breathing Complications
    7/19/12Passed Away Bleo Toxicity

Debrah,

Sorry to hear the kids are sick on top of Cory being in his full chemo week!

Talk to the cancer center, but best thing (and hardest thing) is to keep the kids away from Cory and use purell/clorox, etc as much as possible. The flu is a virus, so antibiotics won't help, but precaution should limit his chances of getting sick.

Re: the WBC - while that is more of a concern with bacteria, I can't remember ... have they given/prescribed Neulasta?

T
    Tracy
    Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
    Left I/O 12/31/10.
    4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
    1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
    Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
    Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

As far as the WBC are concerned, nothing has been prescribed. His level is really low. I believe it was .8 or 1.3. I can't remember which one was the latest and I don't have it in front of me. But either way, they're both critically low. Our 11 month old has been sick 3 times since the start of chemo so basically the whole time. Cory has been confined to the room and it's starting to take its toll on me. Full time work during the day+ 4 kids at home+ sickness= a very tired momma. And this stomach bug spreading through the household almost made me run out to the middle of the street at 3am just so I could yell at the top of my lungs I think it might help!! sorry I think I'm really tired today and maybe, just maybe, a tad bit grouchy

Husband (Cory) age 31..
      2/22/12-Consultation for vasectomy. Told to get blood work/ultrasound. Cancer suspected.
      2/28/12- L I/O Embryonal, Chorio, teratoma-8.5cm retroperitoneal mass-2.5cm mass in neck lymph node
      4/2/12 Round 2 (HCG 176)
      4/23/12 Round 3 (HCG 13)
      5/14/12 Round 4 (HCG 6)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaps6 View Post
        And this stomach bug spreading through the household almost made me run out to the middle of the street at 3am just so I could yell at the top of my lungs I think it might help!! sorry I think I'm really tired today and maybe, just maybe, a tad bit grouchy
        You are MORE than overstressed and entitled to be as grouchy as you want! I understand if you feel like you have to keep it bottled up at home in front of the (4?! wow) kids and Cory, but please come hear and scream to the virtual world, if not into a pillow.

I remember one day during the end of Kel's first cycle which is when I reached my limit and just broke down with an especially trying day with David ... bawling my eyes out at the library's storytime ... and I only have one child! So, we understand, etc.

As for the sickness - is there another place in the house Cory can hang out that is relatively un-claimed by the kids? Someplace that can be wiped down a lot? Purell is great, but I also think the danger of some illness is over-stated. He does not need to be in a bubble, just to be extra cautious. And since this is a chemo week, have him ask about a WBC stimulator, maybe?

T
        Tracy
        Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
        Left I/O 12/31/10.
        4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
        1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
        Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
        Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

wesmom

Wow! You have your hands full. Do you have any family close by? If you lived close to me I would offer, but I'm on the east coast. What about friends? I'm sure they wouldn't mind coming in helping with sterilizing, cleaning, cooking. Hopefully, he can get a shot to bring his counts up. Keep us posted, vent or be crabby. Whatever relieves the stress in anyway.
          Son Diagnosed 6/24/10
          Right I/O 6/28/10
          (65% Teratoma, 10% EC, 10% Yolk Sac, 10% Seminoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma)
          3XBEP 8/10-10/10
          RPLND 11/2/11 (cyst in right pelvic area was mature teratoma and lymph nodes were clear)

Comment

Thanx for letting me vent..I think I was extremely tired this morning..I have the tendency to be dramatic and emotional when I'm exhausted. And yes WesMom, we have an awesome support system and that's probably what keeps me focused. My niece has actually moved down with us so she can watch the youngins' so I can work, and Cory can just rest or sleep, or go for a walk or what ever he wants/needs to do..I want it to be as stress free as possible for him. It's just so amazing that when you are faced with some of the worst times in your life that you realize how blessed you are..What an amazing thing!!

Husband (Cory) age 31..
            4/2/12 Round 2 (HCG 176)
            4/23/12 Round 3 (HCG 13)
            5/14/12 Round 4 (HCG 6)

Comment

Working...
            X